Getting Closer!

sheepdog700

Hi y'all, I just pulled the trigger on a new Maingear PC primarily for DCS... Ryzen 5800X, RTX 3070, 32gb Kingston Renegade Fury 3600mhz RAM. Track IR and Gladiator NXT stick are also on order. I can't wait to get started.

Im now shopping for a monitor. Im thinking 1440p and 165hz... would that match my PC specs well? I'm also confused about the whole Gsync issue. I know what it does, but is it truly necessary for DCS? I've heard both yes and no to that question. The "no" people said something to the affect that the FPS don't get super high in DCS so that dialing back FPS on a monitor with a lower refresh rate to avoid tearing isn't needed. I'm not sure if this is true or not? The "yes" people say I will get tearing without g-sync.

Gsync compatible monitors are much more pricey than the freesync only versions. I just dropped almost $2500 on the setup so I'm approaching the end of my budget. How many of you with similar specs are using gsync? Do those of you not running gsync experience lots of tearing? 

• Like 1

I have a very similar setup. Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3080 (had 3070 Ti before, but I fly in VR, so I had to get that extra horsepower) and 64GB HyperX 3200MHz (had 32GB but got a good deal on another 32GB so went for it).

On 2D, 3070 Ti was more than enough on an ultra-wide monitor, 3440x1440 resolution. My monitor has FreeSync, not G-sync, and to be fair, it works different with each game, sometimes better, sometimes worse. In GTA V for example, it helps a lot. The game is set to run at 60 FPS, and I have 144Hz. There is a visible difference between FreeSync ON and OFF. In Dying Light 2, I have the game locked at 70 FPS, because 60 look like it's stuttering. To sum it up, I think the experience may vary and it depends on each individual user.

Also, G-sync is more expensive because it's a physical processor built into a device, whereas FreeSync is a software solution to achieve, in theory the same results, in practice, similar to G-sync.

25 minutes ago, =OPS=Slider said:

I have a very similar setup. Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3080 (had 3070 Ti before, but I fly in VR, so I had to get that extra horsepower) and 64GB HyperX 3200MHz (had 32GB but got a good deal on another 32GB so went for it).

On 2D, 3070 Ti was more than enough on an ultra-wide monitor, 3440x1440 resolution. My monitor has FreeSync, not G-sync, and to be fair, it works different with each game, sometimes better, sometimes worse. In GTA V for example, it helps a lot. The game is set to run at 60 FPS, and I have 144Hz. There is a visible difference between FreeSync ON and OFF. In Dying Light 2, I have the game locked at 70 FPS, because 60 look like it's stuttering. To sum it up, I think the experience may vary and it depends on each individual user.

Also, G-sync is more expensive because it's a physical processor built into a device, whereas FreeSync is a software solution to achieve, in theory the same results, in practice, similar to G-sync.

But I thought Freesync doesn't work with Nvidia graphics cards? Atleast not always... Nvidia has a somewhat limited list of "Gsync compatible* monitors that have freesync. 

• 2 weeks later...