Default VR view too high

Nealius
Go to solution Solved by Terry Dactil,

8 hours ago, Terry Dactil said:

Suggest you try a forum search.

This is an old problem with an easy fix to set the default view to whatever you want.

I did search just before posting, and of the six VR topics that appeared none had to do with the default view. 

Edited by Nealius

12 hours ago, Nealius said:

I did search just before posting, and of the six VR topics that appeared none had to do with the default view. 

I know this isn't a fix per se but I use it in P47.  I mapped a button for 'move pilot down' or something like that in the bindings, so when VR view is too high it's very easy to adjust it by pressing the button.

13 hours ago, zmz125000 said:

2D views are set for comfortable instead of reality. Check if your head position match the pilot body in VR.

This. I enabled pilot bodies for the first time last weekend, and was surprised most of my saved views I thought were good had my head in the pilot's chest.

• 3 months later...

It's not really explained well anywhere for VR users, but for every module, including the Spitfire you should have the following two control binds mapped and ready to go to manage your view:

1. UI Layer -> "recenter VR headset" 
  2. <Module Name>->View Cockpit->"Save Cockpit Angles"

I suspect most already have #1 bound. It's a universal bind that works across all modules, so you only have to bind this once.

The second has to be bound for each aircraft and is a bit more tricky -- because in VR it's not entirely obvious it's doing anything -- but trust me and bind it.

Once you've got both binds, start up the module of your choice, then physically move your head until you are in the spot that you want to be the new default. Then press the "Save Cockpit Angles" bind. You'll notice nothing will happen: This is because the changes only take effect the next time you load a mission. So quit the flight and restart. The default view that you wanted should be saved and you should load up sitting in your chosen virtual spot.

From then on you use the "recenter VR headset" bind if you find yourself out of place. This bind snaps your current physical position in real life to the saved default -- so your gunsight and view over the nose will look proper again even if you're sitting slouched or in a slightly different position than you were last time you loaded up VR.

Once again, you only need the "Save Cockpit Angles" bind once for each module to set a new default, and from then on you use the "recenter VR headset" bind to adjust and account for different seating positions IRL.

Edited by kablamoman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread however have known this issue in other VR Sims I have used over the last 9 or 10 years so thought i'd add my 2 cents.

If my view is too high as it was when I fired up the Spitfire yesterday I sat up in my chair, re centred the view then when you go back to your normal sitting position you're right where you need to be. I find the F14 view too far forward and a little high so I lean forward and raise my head slightly. Re centre the view and that's always good for me.

Straightforward I know but someone told me this method for another sim I play years ago thought it might be helpful here too.

Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand