Aim-120's and SD-10's Fail to Loft on Jamming Target After Shooter Burns Through Target Jammer

DCS FIGHTER PILOT

5 hours ago, DCS FIGHTER PILOT said:

I'm guessing this is due to the missile going into HOJ mode (which is going to be PN only), and unsure if it receives support from the firing platform.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

35 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

I'm guessing this is due to the missile going into HOJ mode (which is going to be PN only), and unsure if it receives support from the firing platform.

I should have mentioned that I figured that’s what it was. The question is, is it intended? Seems to me like a loft would make the missile quite a bit more lethal and thus the optimum firing option to use. 

Just now, DCS FIGHTER PILOT said:

I should have mentioned that I figured that’s what it was. The question is, is it intended? Seems to me like a loft would make the missile quite a bit more lethal and thus the optimum firing option to use. 

I guess it depends on the following:

1. Whether the missiles are actually entering HOJ off of the rail (I guess we can be pretty sure of that)
  2. Whether or not the missile receives D/L commands while in HOJ (this might be less likely in a jamming environment, though DCS doesn't do jamming of datalinks or communications (yet))
  3. Whether or not the missile stores target parameters from the launch platform while in HOJ (I would expect this to be more likely).

I don't know enough about the AIM-120 and PL-12/SD-10 to make any conclusion though, and the above is purely speculative.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

These missiles have 1-way datalink, they continuously receive target info from the guiding aircraft. If your radar can resolve the target's range, altitude and velocity, the missile should act normally.

At most, in DCS, it should go HOJ when it goes active, if it can't resolve the target itself, but this would also be wrong compared to IRL, since it should keep using info provided by the guiding platform and rely on its own sleeker only for terminal guidance.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

At least to my understanding, if the shooter aircraft has already burned throught the jammer, which is mentioned in the title of this topic, Aim-120 should be able to receive range information from the shooter aircraft, allowing it to loft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least to my understanding, if the shooter aircraft has already burned throught the jammer, which is mentioned in the title of this topic, Aim-120 should be able to receive range information from the shooter aircraft, allowing it to loft. 
Most definitely. If your radar knows where the target is, so does your missile, considering that it receives instructions to head to a specific intercept point, from your radar.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro