Smoke (launchers) on the horizon

Wychmaster

According to this post

we might finally get smoke launchers in the future. I don't speek russian, so maybe someone who does can tell if there has been said more than just "planned". Mayby some of the officials can also share some more information regarding this topic if possible.

For me it would be interesting if it is just a visual effect at the beginning or if the AI and the "lock target" (a.k.a. aiming cheat) mode will also be affected.

Personally I think it would be a huge game changer if the AI would also loose LOS. Especially the AT-11s from the russian tanks wouldn't be so deadly anymore on open fields.

Edited by Wychmaster

• Wychmaster changed the title to Smoke (launchers) on the horizon

I know about this effect, but it is a bit outdated and IIRC it is not even dense enough to block sight. At least it never hindered me from reengaging targets in CA. And as you said, it is AI only. That's why I am asking for more information.

By the way, here is an older thread regarding this topic were they posted some vids where you can see a comparison between  current DCS smoke launcher effects an RL smoke:

My guess is that they might be able to employ the new dynamic cloud tech to create realistic smoke screens. Having this in CA would be really nice and can give tanks a much better chance to survive attacks from choppers. So fighting tanks would be more challenging. 

But thats me guessing. I hope somebody can translate what exactly has been mentioned or ED can give us some more infos here.

3 hours ago, Wychmaster said:

Personally I think it would be a huge game changer if the AI would also loose LOS. Especially the AT-11s from the russian tanks wouldn't be so deadly anymore on open fields.

+1 for smoke launchers. I might be wrong, but I thought Ai do lose LOS? It seems to me at least that when I have Fog-Of-War turned on, LOS goes in and out as Ai/myself change position. I can't remember getting fired on after I dropped out of the Ai's LOS, but that might just be luck.

But you know, I have and still do play a lot of AFV combat even though I have been flying more and more lately. But it wouldn't take much IMO to make ground units in DCS a serious contender for everything else that is out there. 

• Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Callsign112:

I might be wrong, but I thought Ai do lose LOS?

The current AI LOS is a topic of its own but I was referring to the fact that the AI LOS is currently not affected by clouds. If the smoke uses the same tech, it might have the same problems. Against AI, popping smoke would then be a bit pointless. But fixing it for the clouds is already on EDs radar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think MBTs and other mechanised vehicles launching smoke should be part of any AI logic rework for ground units if they are considering this; to make it more interesting for say, new helicopter modules, being released.

It could take work but would be cool if behaviour was a bit more dynamic than the seemingly current logic of scatter, stay in one place for 2 mins, then carry on as nothing happened. 

On 2/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, razo+r said:

For a start, some vehicle (AI only) can deploy smoke since a long time.

True, but it's a super old effect and looks almost nothing like real smoke grenades or engine smoke systems.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, razo+r said:

The issue is they only do that when they get damaged, but we mostly use stuff to kill them instantly so they never get a chance to deploy it.

True, it would be good if they deploy smoke selectively, but it needs to block weapon and AI LOS too.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 4:15 AM, Northstar98 said:

True, but it's a super old effect and looks almost nothing like real smoke grenades or engine smoke systems.

True, it would be good if they deploy smoke selectively, but it needs to block weapon and AI LOS too.

So true! Did some CA large scale armored battles last night, and the effect looks really weak when watching the battle filed from above. First of all, the effect only occurs after an armored unit takes a hit, so nothing dynamic in terms of logic is going on. And then it only lasts for what looks like not even a couple seconds. It was hard for me to tell even if the Ai units are able to see through it because the smoke disappears so fast.