I think there is too much unrealistic yaw wobble fighting stick

sandcat

Something feels off when flying the Mi-24.

When using the autopilot systems for pitch bank and yaw, there appears to be excessive oscillating wobbling, where the autopilot tries to fight the stick input until the oscillation slowly stops. And I think it is gamey and exaggerated. Because if you look at real life take-offs, you might see the copter slightly banking left and right. However no yaw wobble.

The same for landing. Holding the rudder just right and descending, the slightest twitch in rudder will cause wild yaw wobble.

Real life references:

This one has timestamp:

Notice at 15:03, even wags has issues avoiding the strong yaw wobble as he reduces the rudder. The copter nose wobbles up to 5-10 degrees to the side.

None of that appears to happen in real life.

This makes flying the copter very irritating. Because as soon as you make changes to rudder input, there is strong yaw wobbling.

Edited by sandcat

I do not see the issue In Wags video. As airspeed increases effectiveness of vertical stabilizer increases exponentially, this adds right yaw and requires decrease of right pedal. 

In real life they have their butts to detect movement and training. 

you say with AP on this happens, have you flown without AP and experienced the issue going away?

Becuase looking at Wags video, the yaw AP is not causing this, it is either holding heading(fighting any heading change) or in dampening mode where it fight rapid changes in yaw.

At the time you time stamped it appears he has significant right pedal that causes it to be in dampening mode, and as the nose moves right he moves it closer to center where it enters heading hold mode and then tries to hold the heading. 

If this rapid change between the yaw AP switching from holding heading to dampening movement according to pedal deflection is causing your issue, I implore you to comment on my recent thread about “Please add bindings for Pedal Micro switches,” so that ED knows enough people want this feature. In real life the micro switches on the pedals control the heading hold and dampening functions of AP and pilot can switch between the two states at will regardless of pedal input depending if feet depress the switches or not. By having this binding and the function it controls you would be able to stop this unintended switch of functions of the yaw AP as pedal deflection changes. You would be able to choose to have the Yaw AP hold heading or resist changes in movement, it would fight your issue just in different ways, and the switch between the two can cause large differences In the amount the AP deflects tail rotor pitch 

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I have the suspicion that wags is flying with the "control help" setting in special. Because I see none of the  wobble that I see when I fly, or when I watch other players fly.

Also does the dampening autopilot really work like that in real life? Oscillating against input, because I see none of that in real life videos. And it isn ot that it only fights strong input, every slight change in stick deflection, it wobbles then slowly oscillates until the waves are smaller.

And is the Mi-24 REALLY needing rudder input when flying 200 km/h straight in real life? Because i have to hold 10% rudder to prevent drift. Does not happen on the Huey or the Mi8.

Edited by sandcat

2 hours ago, sandcat said:

I have the suspicion that wags is flying with the "control help" setting in special. Because I see none of the  wobble that I see when I fly, or when I watch other players fly.

Also does the dampening autopilot really work like that in real life? Oscillating against input, because I see none of that in real life videos. And it isn ot that it only fights strong input, every slight change in stick deflection, it wobbles then slowly oscillates until the waves are smaller.

And is the Mi-24 REALLY needing rudder input when flying 200 km/h straight in real life? Because i have to hold 10% rudder to prevent drift. Does not happen on the Huey or the Mi8.

I believe it should be like that, I forget Huey but I still need pedal at high speed in Mi-8. At some point the vertical stabilizer will stop being not enough to counteract torque and will produce enough lift to overly counter torque and left pedal will be needed

As for the yaw dampener is depends. In real life pilots have micro switches to control its mode, when feet on pedals it’s always in stabilization mode. The pitch and roll channels have a “compensation” function that moves them with your cyclic so they don’t fight you, the yaw AP has no such function in DCS or real life.

So assuming it’s not in heading hold, it won’t necessarily oscillate it will just counter changes in yaw rate. The faster the rate of change the more Input. As rate becomes stables the yaw AP in stabilization mode will settle to near zero. Yes it will counteract your turns very slightly, but only at the very beginning and at speed is so subtle as hard to notice. I haven’t seen any wobbles or the such. It’s behavior is very predictable to me, it’s only during the change between heading hold and stabilization modes that it’s input drastically changes 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg