Would Dekka consider working with Magnitude on the J-7

upyr1

I know some folks would like an updated J-7, I am one of them actually. As the J-7 is a Chinese MiG-21 and Magnitude has a MiG-21 Bis module I'm thinking it might reduce development time and costs if Dekka would team up with Magnitude. 

The J-7 and its variants are an offshoot of the even older MiG-21-F13, which is the first production model of the Fishbed and is not at all like the MiG-21bis.

The J-7, depending on the version has entirely different avionics, armaments, instruments, engine and flight characteristics. (Especially if it's the newer ones with the canted wings)

Almost nothing from the 21bis can be used on a potential J-7 since they are just so different in design. Yes, they're relatives; very distant relatives.

As been mentioned, the 21bis holds little in common with the J/F-7s aside from being in the same family. You could quite successfully argue that the Fishbeds from China see the greatest variation in terms of aerodynamics when compared to the original MiG variants.  We've seen CAC give them a compound wing, for example. 

Many J/F-7s have avionics suites one would expect in a Viper and not in a fighter first flown in the '50s. The Chinese had a Cold War habit of glomming onto a particular type and then developing iterations of it past the date the rest of the Eastern Bloc would've regard their expiration. They went buckwild with the MiG-19 and the same with the MiG-21. What started as an F-13 clone has evolved into something very, very different. The J-7s and MiG-21s are very different aircraft. If we were talking biology, we'd start having to consider if the two are actually now different species.

As stated here by Hiromachi:

The 21bis's performance, cockpit, and aerodynamics are a far cry from the F-13. This is a much bigger challenge than appearances would dictate. It's at a point that if Deka wanted to add a J/F-7 to their product line up? They'd just do it themselves. If Mag3 wanted an F-13? Same thing. Also, Mag3 is pretty tiny. With both of the Vought ensign eliminators and a stripe of Fitter in the pipe, more work is just infeasible.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 2/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, J20Stronk said:

The J-7 and its variants are an offshoot of the even older MiG-21-F13, which is the first production model of the Fishbed and is not at all like the MiG-21bis.

The J-7, depending on the version has entirely different avionics, armaments, instruments, engine and flight characteristics. (Especially if it's the newer ones with the canted wings)

Almost nothing from the 21bis can be used on a potential J-7 since they are just so different in design. Yes, they're relatives; very distant relatives.

I figured the avionics and cockpit would be different on the J-7s but I had been operating under the assumption the flight models would be reasonably close once you factored in things like engine and aircraft weight.