ONLY time I can take off is from startup training mission; seems as if collective won't engage.

salsantana

Good day,

well, it could get better if I can just get off the ground.

I've exhausted the searches with keyword "takeoff" and to no avail.

I've gone through cold-start tutorials and successfully achieved startups; main rotor spinning, but same outcome every time...... as if the blade pitch---despite what the gauges show---just won't "pitch". Throttles at max, collective gauges moving, but it's as if the heli is chained down to the tarmac.

SO...... everything in cockpit appears to be as it should; no warning lights or sounds. I'm wondering if there's a common mistake or a single component that will prevent takeoff?

The stock training mission for startup and takeoff works fine...... I've flown and enjoyed the flight performance there, and also the guns and rockets training. If I swap my Ka-50 for a Mi-24 in a Ka-50 mission and begin mission airborne, I just drop from the sky. It's as if there's no controller connected.

Earlier today I THOUGHT the culprit was in the wheel brake........ as if all I needed to do at end of startup sequence was a Ctrl-W, and off we go. Nope, couldn't be that lucky..... that was ONLY in the startup training mission. In other attempts in other missions, the Wheel Brake light does light up as I engage/disengage it, but no slight lurch of the vehicle......

Only other idea is some controller config issue..... I use Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Slider (throttle) is mapped to "Collective" in Axis Commands. There's another reference to "collective", paired with "Throttle". Can't find anything that explains that..... any possible connection?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas!

5 hours ago, salsantana said:

Good day,

well, it could get better if I can just get off the ground.

I've exhausted the searches with keyword "takeoff" and to no avail.

I've gone through cold-start tutorials and successfully achieved startups; main rotor spinning, but same outcome every time...... as if the blade pitch---despite what the gauges show---just won't "pitch". Throttles at max, collective gauges moving, but it's as if the heli is chained down to the tarmac.

SO...... everything in cockpit appears to be as it should; no warning lights or sounds. I'm wondering if there's a common mistake or a single component that will prevent takeoff?

The stock training mission for startup and takeoff works fine...... I've flown and enjoyed the flight performance there, and also the guns and rockets training. If I swap my Ka-50 for a Mi-24 in a Ka-50 mission and begin mission airborne, I just drop from the sky. It's as if there's no controller connected.

Earlier today I THOUGHT the culprit was in the wheel brake........ as if all I needed to do at end of startup sequence was a Ctrl-W, and off we go. Nope, couldn't be that lucky..... that was ONLY in the startup training mission. In other attempts in other missions, the Wheel Brake light does light up as I engage/disengage it, but no slight lurch of the vehicle......

Only other idea is some controller config issue..... I use Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Slider (throttle) is mapped to "Collective" in Axis Commands. There's another reference to "collective", paired with "Throttle". Can't find anything that explains that..... any possible connection?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas!

Can you screenshot pitch gauge as you pull pitch, video would be the best?

There's another reference to "collective", paired with "Throttle". Can't find anything that explains that..... any possible connection?

Make sure your throttle (which governs rotor rpm) is at the max, and make sure you are using collective to alter the blade pitch in order to increase lift.  Also, check that you don't have the game flight option enabled.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, salsantana said:

I use Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Slider (throttle) is mapped to "Collective" in Axis Commands. There's another reference to "collective", paired with "Throttle"

Do you have the throttle binding the same as the collective? That would certainly explain the dropping out of the sky.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

5 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

This...

Thank you Sacarino111; that "game flight option" is true much of the time, except in Ka-50 occasionally........ I'll switch to simulation mode in System settings to see how it goes.

I just switched from Game mode to Sim mode...... voila!! In flight now.

Thanks Sacarino.

Edited by salsantana
issue solved; switched from game flight mode to sim mode. thanks!!!!

4 hours ago, admiki said:

One thing just caught my attention. When you say THROTTLES, what exactly do you mean?

Thank you admiki........ well, by "throttles" I........I might be confused by terminology in Control settings. I understand that Collective controls the pitch of the rotor blades, which I have mapped on the Axis Commands page to the slider on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I also understand that "Throttles" is the control of the RPM of the engines. They are mapped to PgUp and PgDown, respectively, and not mapped to my flight stick...... however, back to the Axis Commands page, there is a control mapping option "Throttles (Collective)". I've had no luck finding what that's about. I've tried it but obviously enough it's not the right choice.

I MIGHT have just discovered the culprit, as suggested herewith by Sacarino111. I'll continue seeking the purpose of Throttles (Collective). Also need to learn how to record as you suggested..... I assume that's pretty simple, but considering the mode switch solution, video probably wouldn't have revealed much.

thanks again, mate.

6 hours ago, Shmegegge 1-1 Aero said:

Make sure your throttle (which governs rotor rpm) is at the max, and make sure you are using collective to alter the blade pitch in order to increase lift.  Also, check that you don't have the game flight option enabled.

Thank you, Shmegegge. Game flight mode indeed the culprit. I've wondered if training modules can change "Gameplay" settings for the purpose of the session, and that seems to be the ticket, and certainly makes sense.

41 minutes ago, salsantana said:

Thank you admiki........ well, by "throttles" I........I might be confused by terminology in Control settings. I understand that Collective controls the pitch of the rotor blades, which I have mapped on the Axis Commands page to the slider on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I also understand that "Throttles" is the control of the RPM of the engines. They are mapped to PgUp and PgDown, respectively, and not mapped to my flight stick...... however, back to the Axis Commands page, there is a control mapping option "Throttles (Collective)". I've had no luck finding what that's about. I've tried it but obviously enough it's not the right choice.

I MIGHT have just discovered the culprit, as suggested herewith by Sacarino111. I'll continue seeking the purpose of Throttles (Collective). Also need to learn how to record as you suggested..... I assume that's pretty simple, but considering the mode switch solution, video probably wouldn't have revealed much.

thanks again, mate.

Thank you, Shmegegge. Game flight mode indeed the culprit. I've wondered if training modules can change "Gameplay" settings for the purpose of the session, and that seems to be the ticket, and certainly makes sense.

Collective throttle is axis binding for grip throttle on your collective (same function as PgUp and PgDn). For screenshot of DCS, just look at what you want to record and press PrintScreen (SysRQ) on your keyboard.

Just to make sure, do not move those two small levers left of your collective.

Edited by admiki

Okay...... I see now about collective throttle/PgUp/PgDn...... I'm currently under the impression that the throttle, from takeoff to landing, is used very little, that when set to max the collective handles all ascent and descent load, and even that changing the throttle will drastically change behavior of collective....... I never mean to derail topic, still feeling out the proper stuff.

Re: screen....... I assumed it was a video segment rather than screenshot requested.

Big appreciation for help........ I will admit I wouldn't mind a game flight mode option for this particular beast but the actual point here is authenticity and a community that settles for no less....."everything but the gravity" 🙂

10 минут назад, salsantana сказал:

Okay...... I see now about collective throttle/PgUp/PgDn...... I'm currently under the impression that the throttle, from takeoff to landing, is used very little, that when set to max the collective handles all ascent and descent load, and even that changing the throttle will drastically change behavior of collective....... I never mean to derail topic, still feeling out the proper stuff.

That impression is correct with the exception that after maxing the throttle on startup you do NOT manipulate it until you throttle down on shutdown. The engine RPM when maxed is controlled by automatic governors. Just manipulate the collective as you need and let the governors deal with engines.

• Like 1