Mfd’s on separate screens, turn off in cockpit mfd’s?

MadKreator

I have my mfds/ddi’s setup on a separate momnitor with mfd cougars. ( prob best damn mod to do for  dcs IMO).. but is there a way to have it only display on those? Essentially shutting off the on screen/ in cockpit ones?   

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

* easily i should add. Like changing one line of lua from true to false? If its a huge process of editing codes then I don’t want to bother lol

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• 1 month later...

In you DCS go to Scripts.Aircrafts,_Common,Cockpit. Find ViewportHandling.lua and put two -- before render_purpose.GENERAL,

It will turn green and your good to go.

Edited by chardly38
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:33 AM, chardly38 said:

In you DCS go to Scripts.Aircrafts,_Common,Cockpit. Find ViewportHandling.lua and put two -- before render_purpose.GENERAL,

It will turn green and your good to go.

Hell yes! 100% that worked! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Seemed like a promising resolution. I tried it out, however rather works for more classic modules, I suppose. Multiseat or i.e. AH-64D probably somewhat works differently, possibly with 1-2 extra "layers" and functionalities. Tried adding the init files to all sorts of "screenspaces" disabling general for both the PLT MFD's for example - while editing the viewporthandling for general and inside cockpit in multiple variations as well. All to no avail.

Edited by osram

• 2 weeks later...

It works for me on a-10, f18 and f16.. those are the only modules I have. However it seemingly does break Multiplayer IC, which to me doesn’t make any sense. I don’t think the viewport lua file should really be part of IC since you can add as many monitors and export viewports and all that, but you cant turn off what’s in the cockpit? Of course there’s lots of servers without IC too. 

Anyone happen to know if you can or how to do this with OVGME? I’m a dummy with it.. can you put the modified .lua file by itself in ovgme and turn it on and off? 

Yes you can setup an OvGME mod to turn it off / on.  I haven't used it for awhile since it doesn't pass IC when playing MP.

I agree it does seem odd to not have it pass the IC but I guess some troll figured out a way to cheat using it. 🙄

I've attached my version, just checked it with the F-16, still works.  Unfortunately I can't attach the folder(s) just the lua file.  To create an OvGME file you need to build a folder structure then add the lua file in the last folder.

So, create a folder called MFDs On Off (or whatever you want to call it). This is your title folder, then;

• Inside this folder create a new folder called Scripts,
  • inside the Scripts folder create a new folder called Aircrafts,
  • inside the Aircrafts folder create a new folder called _Common,
  • inside the _Common folder create a new folder called Cockpit,
  • place the attached ViewportHandling.lua file in the Cockpit folder.

Then place "MFDs On Off" in your OvGME folder, it should be in the launcher next time you fire it up.

Caution - It will suppress all exported viewports so the DED, RWR and EHSI as well as the MFD's.  You need to export the others as well.

Good luck.

ViewportHandling.lua

Edited by Sarge55

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

23 hours ago, Sarge55 said:

Yes you can setup an OvGME mod to turn it off / on.  I haven't used it for awhile since it doesn't pass IC when playing MP.

I agree it does seem odd to not have it pass the IC but I guess some troll figured out a way to cheat using it. 🙄

I've attached my version, just checked it with the F-16, still works.  Unfortunately I can't attach the folder(s) just the lua file.  To create an OvGME file you need to build a folder structure then add the lua file in the last folder.

So, create a folder called MFDs On Off (or whatever you want to call it). This is your title folder, then;

Then place "MFDs On Off" in your OvGME folder, it should be in the launcher next time you fire it up.

Caution - It will suppress all exported viewports so the DED, RWR and EHSI as well as the MFD's.  You need to export the others as well.

Good luck.

ViewportHandling.lua 2.6 kB · 1 download

Sounds simple enough… in the folder I create for OVGME, I use the modified ViewportHandling.lua correct?  Make a copy of the lua file. Place it in the folder, then modify it?

All I do is comment out the general render line so the cockpit mfd’s turn off on screen I have no other viewport exports or anything like that. I’m assuming it has to have the exact same name?

I guess I’m a little confused as to how/if ovgme and dcs knows to use the newly created/ modded viewporthandling.lua, and not the old one. I get it when Its adding a mod such as sound file, an aircraft etc.. but I haven’t seen anyone use it to disable / replace an existing file ( or turn it on and off rather). I don’t really care how it works as long as it does, I suppose😂.  I Will give it a shot! Thank for the tip! 

MP is the reason I thought of using ovgme, just to be able to switch it on and off a little quicker. I have all of my modified .lua files opened in notepad++ when I open it, so its not hard to just change  it back and forth, but I thought the ovgme route might be more convenient. 

Edited by MadKreator

Thanks again, got it to work! I didn't realize that I had to make another ovgme profile that pointed to the root folder for DCS not just the saved games one that I had setup. But all is good!

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 1

Good to hear, ah, sorry I thought you had the OVGME set for DCS root. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Like I said I’m a dummy with ovgme LOL seems like every tutorial I tried to watch kept saying to point to saved games folder, but now I know😁

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, Sarge55 said:

Good luck.

ViewportHandling.lua 2.6 kB · 6 downloads

@BIGNEWY is there a way to get this so it doesn't break IC, or add it as an option in Special Tab or GFX tab for those people with external MFD displays?
Saves some FPS from my experience.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

Rig: intel i9-9900kf @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming