Current F-15 Speed

trenchfeet

15 hours ago, trenchfeet said:

Should the F15 be performing at M2.3 at 30k currently under load? is this normal? 

I think something is going on with drag with stores, also F15 is barely affected by difference in ambient temperatures like all the other jets (especially REDfor jets). So yes, with bags doing M2.3 seems unreasonably fast.

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Can you give exact stats and load so I can cross check? Thank you!

Edited by FoxAlfa

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Just simply jump in the f15 load up with 120’s apply full burner and point to the moon. I found it will keep climbing and speed keeps increasing. You can do this on the growling sidewinder and lob 120’s from further the aim54 can reach, crank or notch and nothing will hit because you are out running and turning anything, it’s not sr71 like the bug last time but I just don’t see how this is possible. Just would like a second opinion if the performance is accurate for a f15.

6605F0CD-A535-43CE-A945-8CCCF7D36316.png

5 hours ago, trenchfeet said:

Just simply jump in the f15 load up with 120’s apply full burner and point to the moon. I found it will keep climbing and speed keeps increasing. You can do this on the growling sidewinder and lob 120’s from further the aim54 can reach, crank or notch and nothing will hit because you are out running and turning anything, it’s not sr71 like the bug last time but I just don’t see how this is possible. Just would like a second opinion if the performance is accurate for a f15.

6605F0CD-A535-43CE-A945-8CCCF7D36316.png

what is the exact loadout though (6 AMRAAM? 8 AMRAAM? 1,2 or 3 bags)? We need to know so we (and ED) can cross check with the RL manual

EDIT: OK you said above no bags, im gonna assume 8 AMRAAMs for worst case, and check

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Just now, nighthawk2174 said:

Isn't stores drag still broken for the F15?

No, that got fixed. Whether its "fully" or realistically fixed, IDK, I havent tested personally, but there definitely is stores drag, has been for a few months now

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

It’s most likely at ISA +5 which is the standard dcs day. However temperature does not have an effect on the eagle in the game and its performance is mostly consistent with a -10 day on the charts. This also explains the mach 2.606 max speed that we have on a clean eagle in the game. The eagle’s flight envelope is accurate enough I think, there are much bigger differences for other airframes. It would just need a dependency on temperature (which has a huge influence)

• Like 1

Failure is not an option ~ NASA

On 2/9/2022 at 6:28 PM, dundun92 said:

what is the exact loadout though (6 AMRAAM? 8 AMRAAM? 1,2 or 3 bags)? We need to know so we (and ED) can cross check with the RL manual

Your mention of the drop-tanks got me thinking: in the manual max Mach number for jettisoning them M1.5 - I wonder if that's modeled in DCS or not?

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

• ED Team

Please remember our 1.16 rule here when posting. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have made a comparison of the acceleration at 8.4 °C vs 40 °c in a level flight at 12 km altitude some days ago.

8.4 °C:

image.png

40 °C:

image.png

As you can see, the acceleration is just stretched a bit in time as it gets warmer. But the top speed stays the same.

Meanwhile the Su-27 shows massive differences:

8.4 °C:

image.png

40 °C:

image.png

Su-27 at warm temperatures accelerates alot slower and reaches a much slower top speed (look how the warm curve begins to show the approach of a max value with a bend, while the cold curve is growing linear at the same time.)

One of them is wrong (or both are wrong). ED needs to take a look at those FM's again.

• Thanks 2

• ED Team

please include your track replays from the tests. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

Your mention of the drop-tanks got me thinking: in the manual max Mach number for jettisoning them M1.5 - I wonder if that's modeled in DCS or not?

And what do you think should happen if you dump it at M1.6?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

39 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

No clue on this, but your question made me wonder.

What happens in general with aircraft stability when the large draggy object is jettisoned at high mach speed?

Does the aircraft pitch up/down? If I remember correctly, with both F-15 and F-16 there is no effect at all,  but is this true in reality?

Edited by okopanja
typos

15 minutes ago, draconus said:

Unforseen consequences 🙂

Possible collision and some damage.

Or they fail to detach.

45 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Not what's happening now 😉, which is I presume nothing.

Edited by Cmptohocah

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Mach 2+ sounds reasonable without tanks. The F-15 stores drag was excessive before (not counting the 0 drag bug). Remember 4 of the missiles should be very low drag.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

So basically F15 isn't affected by air temperature changes like other planes - GG FM is OP 🙂

Why is flanker so handicapped by ambient temperature!? Surely same laws of physics must apply for all AC....

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

7 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please remember our 1.16 rule here when posting. 

thanks

I was under the impression that this doc was OK as this was uploaded by Chizh himself on the DCS userfiles?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/645686/

• Like 1

HP Z400 Workstation

20 minutes ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

How exactly is the F15 not affected by ambient temperature currently? 

Someone could probably test the thrust and top speed curves and compare with the public manuals. Last time I checked (more than a year ago) you couldnt really perform a Rutowski profile climb and hit the charted speeds at high alt. I guess this may have been fixed hence why people think it's overperforming?

Look at the clear charts posted by BlackPixxel above. The numbers dont lie. Something is going on, unless of course F15 is immune to temperatures compared to all other jets?

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

1 hour ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

But they are meaningless without any real world reference? You can't compare a Su-27 with an F-15 like that.

There is at least document for F-15C (and I assume they have it for flanker), and clearly you can see the differences in graphs for different temperatures.

If he is right, for flanker there is no such difference, but this difference has to be there. Same physics laws apply to both, although their profiles may differ.

I do not know how comprehensive are EDs unit tests are and if they keep the full suite of automated tests for each aircraft. Perhaps others should be checked as well?

I do no think they do the true simulation of the aerodynamics (I gather this would be computationally very expensive), but rather create parametrized flight model based on analyzes they make. Modeling these things is not easy, lots of parameters is involved, and when you modify one, the other one goes totally wrong (look at the AIM-54 for instance). I am pretty sure they are having hard time modifying and testing it every time they have to correct a bug.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, okopanja said:

I do no think they do the true simulation of the aerodynamics (I gather this would be computationally very expensive), but rather create parametrized flight model based on analyzes they make.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/general/

You can read on what is PFM. Does it sound like your "true simulation of aerodynamics" I can't say.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria