Uninstalled OpenFSR and Shader mods. Surprised by the results. 511.23 3070 RTX

winghunter

I recently updated to Nvidia 511.23, RTX 3070, latest DCS version

Since some of the shader mods are really outdated, have artifacts etc I wanted to see what kind of native performance I'd get with stock shaders and no scaling.

After uninstalling everything, repairing files and deleting the /metashaders and /fxo folders, the game recompiled shaders on first load of a map. Yet when the map started performance was still bad since some shaders still needed to be compiled.

When I started the map for the second time however, I got the same FPS as I did with the shader mods and scaling, while having an overall better image quality, even though both tests used the same Nvidia driver. This was quite suprising. Maybe shaders have been improved with the latest DCS version or the Nvidia driver is more effiecient with those shaders.

Setting textures to medium was the biggest performance improvement which seems to fix the leaky VRAM issue. Also restarting DCS after 2 missions, otherwise it gets slower and slower the more you hit "Fly Again"

MSAA set to 2X and Nvidia control panel "Enhance AA" on and  "multi frame sample" on

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

• winghunter changed the title to Uninstalled OpenFSR and Shader mods. Surprised by the results. 511.23

Motion Off.

But this is not a scientific comparison as I had performance issues and glitches with the shader mods (simplex, kegetys). So it may have been my fault and deleting them may have helped.

But now I feel happy without any mods and performance and visuals are good. Dont want to risk breaking things again, especially at night the VR shaders looked weird.

And I couldnt stand the aliasing that openFSR would produce. Even with sharpening to 0.

Edited by winghunter

2 hours ago, winghunter said:

Nvidia control panel "Enhance AA" on and  "multi frame sample" on

I have MFAA on also but I do not seem to get the Enhance AA setting.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

neither MFAA nor nvidia CP AA have any effect on VR.

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

14 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Ok, i cant verify as the effect is very subtle if any. So myAA improvement may have come from ditching openFSR, rendering at full scale with MSAA 2x enabled in DCS.

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

MFAA does work in vr but you have to have MSAA enabled for it to do anything 🙂

Never managed to get any other nvcpl AA settings to do anything though.

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

i have tried it with MSAA enabled in game and via the CP... it make no difference that i can see in VR 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Makes no difference frametime wise but the quality of the MSAA is near doubled.

Basically MSAA x4 for the cost of MSAA x2.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

So unfortunately I dont know how to make highres screenshots in VR.

But I tried disabling/enabling the setting in NVIDIA CP while running the game, and saw no difference. Assuming that CP setting changes dont require a restart of the game/mission.

Edited by winghunter

Depending on which HMD one is using, for Quest2 user, one can either use  Oculus/Meta Mirror tool, or in headset recording from the Home environment which is my preferred method. Stick the camera onto the headset lens can be used regardless of the target model.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

I have not observed it

I concur with speed of heat.  when I make changes I do 700% zoom in on HMDs, instruments, ground targets and aircraft.  In the cases mentioned above, I see no difference in the Reverb G2 HMD,.

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

Personally I tried OpenFSR and decided to remove it.

For instance, with SteamVR SS at 100% and OpenFSR at 80%, you get the same performance results as SteamVR SS on 80% but you add another layer of upsampling and artifacts. For the SteamVR SS at 80% gets me better image and it is easier to control, debug, and tune.

• Like 3

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Went through all settings again today and am amazed at the results...a lot more fps.  Nvidia Driver 511.65.

Dcs repair

Shader clearout including maps

New intel 630 driver supposed to fix memory leak in dwm.exe...only see it with VR hmd powered on.

Mods in jsgme:

Soh shaders mod ic pass 2.7.7.14727

Taz Better trees v5 med low

Reshade 4.91 with depthtoolfx and vr cas fx and fxaa enabled

Steamvr:  54% motion smoothing and advanced supersample on

Wmr for steam: motion for reprojection mode from per app to auto

Nvidia control panel: mfaa on...texture filtering negative lod clamp...VR pre-rendered to 3

Somewhere in all that without changing in-game settings I am seeing my best DCS VR experience with the same hardware for a long time.

Possibly the best since I switched to the G2.  

Edited by aceviper
  • Like 1

yeah but the shader mods messed up the night shaders, the textures appeared almost white. Thats why im careful to re-install them after cleanup

Edited by winghunter

I got rid off all mods (FSR) and tweaks today, did a repair and deleted shaders and fxo files. I have a much better picture now with very low flickering. However, constant low frametimes are still a problem without sacrificing too much clarity. No problem with Il2 at full settings, not with DCS. I wish we could get rid of some objects like fences, cranes, minor poles etc. as the amount of objects is what is taxing my system (GPU not CPU). RTX 3090, Ryzen 8500X, 64 GB Ram, Pimax 8KX. I will stick with default for now and hope for Vulcan or DX12 sometime down the road. Thanks to for the input.

21 hours ago, winghunter said:

yeah but the shader mods messed up the night shaders, the textures appeared almost white. Thats why im careful to re-install them after cleanup

Install it via a modmanager, try it and if it causes you issues, disable it. I’ve had no issues with it tbh.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 2/8/2022 at 7:33 PM, speed-of-heat said:

did you test with motion smoothing on or off... 

So, now I have another confirmation. Installed @Taz1004  2.79 shaders in my clean install, cleared metashaders/fxo and got 1.1 less average fps.

DCS is latest 2.7.9, havent upgraded to 2.7.10 yet

Edited by winghunter

And uninstalled the shader mod again, recompiled. Now +2.1 avg fps compared to shader mod. Noticably smoother and more stable framerate. GPU limited, CPU is at less than 30% in this empty mission.

Thats even an 1.1 fps increased compared to the fresh install. Which may be due to forced shader recompile, which i had not done after the fres install even though i changed graphics settings.

Edited by winghunter

2 hours ago, aceviper said:

A quick reinstall of F14 module fixes this

I didnt have the issue with TAz's shaders. But I did get a performance loss on my 3070. The only way i could explain is that I play in lowest settings except MSAA and textures medium. While people with 3080 or 3090 play medium settings and hence may see an actual performance benefit from the shader mods. But for me its a net loss.