VBK Gladiator NXT - Shipping and Duties to Alberta Canada?

TheCoyoteHunter

Hello Guys,

Not complaining or pointing fingers here, as most likely this is out of VBK's hands.

I was looking to upgrade my T16k joystick with the VBK Gladiator NXT Premium.

Shipping and duties to Alberta, Canada is over $100us. Total cost for 1 stick would well over $300cad.

When I ordered some flight sim gear (TrackHat) from the UK, shipping was around $12us and no duties.

I have ordered way to many things from Ali Express, shipping cost can vary depending which option you choose, but never had any duty charges. 

Why are there duty charges on VBK but not on Ali Express, I could swallow the shipping charge but when you add duties to it, I just cant do it.

Regards

Coyote

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

1 hour ago, TheCoyoteHunter said:

Hello Guys,

Not complaining or pointing fingers here, as most likely this is out of VBK's hands.

I was looking to upgrade my T16k joystick with the VBK Gladiator NXT Premium.

Shipping and duties to Alberta, Canada is over $100us. Total cost for 1 stick would well over $300cad.

When I ordered some flight sim gear (TrackHat) from the UK, shipping was around $12us and no duties.

I have ordered way to many things from Ali Express, shipping cost can vary depending which option you choose, but never had any duty charges. 

Why are there duty charges on VBK but not on Ali Express, I could swallow the shipping charge but when you add duties to it, I just cant do it.

Regards

Coyote

That’s depressing. Maybe we can get memory express to start carrying some higher end controllers. 

Unfortunately there's absolutely nothing we could do against the weak CAD or the federal or local taxes. Still, as far as I know in Alberta pays only GST, which is 5%, where's the rest coming from? There's no duties to be paid in Canada for VKB joysticks.

Thanks for he reply @fallout9, I know you guys cant do anything about the tax/duties, weak dollar, shipping, etc...

For the record to get one VBK Gladiator NXT Premium to Alberta, Canada it costs approx. $315cad ($248us), my friend has one and they hit him with $42 in duties. More info over on reddit suggests the same approximate duty charge.

Like I said, I know this is out of your control...

Regards 

Coyote

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

That can’t be duties. On this kind of product, taxes and brokerage only.
For the post, brokerage should be $10. For couriers, much more, although “express” or “air” usually has most of that included in the shipping price.

What was the shipping method, “ground” or “saver”? Was it by UPS?

On 2/8/2022 at 6:33 PM, fallout9 said:

Unfortunately there's absolutely nothing we could do against the weak CAD or the federal or local taxes. Still, as far as I know in Alberta pays only GST, which is 5%, where's the rest coming from? There's no duties to be paid in Canada for VKB joysticks.

Your shipping methods say simply “DHL” and “FedEx”. One thing you can do is include the service level beside it ie. “Saver”, “Express” or whatever it happens to be. That way, people can look up the brokerage, so there are no surprises.

Hi @cordite,

He doesn't remember the shipping method, but said he chose the cheaper option which currently is $2 cheaper. It was delivered to a PO Box in the city.

He had to pay $42cad more than what he paid initially at purchase. Approx. $15 of that would have been the 5% sales tax we have in Alberta. (we only have gst @5%, no pst in Alberta)

I'm curious why there are no sales tax fees when ordering from places like Ali Express, or even online shops out of the UK. But I have never had an order over over $200cad.

The official cut off is $20 CAD. (that hasn't even kept up with inflation)

Unofficially Canada customs/Canada Post may go somewhat higher than that. If it's through a courier, they collect taxes and duties in any case, in my experience.

I believe what your seeing is brokerage. (ie taking it through customs and paying the taxes and duties, as applicable.)

• Thanks 1

I am a customs broker by profession and if it helps I can give you the H.S. Code for PC Joysticks. It is 8471 60 00 90 and from what I can see in the Canadian Customs Tariff, customs duty is Free. I see on the CBSA website, that there is some 5% tax duty on imported goods. I didn't look much in to it, but I think the import duty should be 0% customs duty and 5% tax (like EU VAT). But take this with a big reserve because I'm from different country and aldo I'm 100% sure for the H.S. code and that PC Joystick are free for import in Canada, regarding the tax percentage ... not so much.

The calculation for the customs duty: (value of the Joystick + transport costs) x Customs Duty. TAX is probably calculated like this: (value of the Joystick + transport + Customs Duty) x 5%. Total amount to pay towards Canada Customs: Customs Duty + Tax. The rest is for customs brokerage fee, warehousing ... things add up.

Regarding the Ali Express thing that you describe, probably when they export the joystick from China, they add a invoice with very low value, and maybe they put a clause like Free of charge or Gift, something in that context, and when goods come trough customs, there is a selectiveness, not all items are checked in detail. A Customs system select certain shipments weather to be checked or not additionally. Like for customs value, quantity, intellectual property, etc. Mabey when you ordered from AliExpress you where just lucky and that time you're shipment just passed.

Also the important thing is the courier, is it like DHL or UPS or some other state Postal company? I'll give you an example how import works in my country. If the goods are send buy other than UPS or DHL it is warehoused in state owned Postal Service Warehouse/Customs Office, where the receiver of  the goods it is not charged by additional warehousing expenses or customs brokerage fees for customs document preparation. The customs officer that works there, based on criterion assigned by the customs system, opens the package and looks for the invoice. If the invoice amount is lower than 25 eur including the transport expenses they should/can let the shipment go and the parcel just arrive at you're local postal service with no additional customs expenses. If the value is higher then he makes customs declaration and calculates how much you should pay. Now if they want (and they want) they can disregard the criteria assigned from the customs system, and double check the invoice amount ... they know what goods can cost 25 eur 🙂 ... so a VKB Joystick ... plus now with internet... they will catch you in a instance if the value is no good. When I ordered my VKB NXT Pro, I didn't know in which warehouse it will arrive ... i just got notification by post saying pay up this much. I calculated it and saw that the customs officer has calculated more than it should've been. He has taken a H.S. Code for a console controllers and not for PC ones. The console controllers have 18% tax, and the PC one has 5%. I protested right away, and they told me that I was right but it's a done deal and I should feel happy that I have help our little country, so that was that. I'm telling you this because there is a big chance that you have help you're country too 😀.

When the goods are send trough UPS or DHL. Now these are private logistic companies that their main goal is to make profit. They have their own warehouses, custom brokerage sectors etc. First they charge you for the documentation for warehousing of the goods, then warehouse manipulation, then they charge you for preparation for import customs documentation. And all that is done by a customs brokers who don't want to risk anything regarding customs procedures, invoice values, H.S. Codes (who knows is it a PC controller, or a console one, or maybe can be used for both...). This is by far more expensive variant because DHL or UPS charge you for the logistics.

EGLkpKi.jpg

RX1ctqH.jpg

Edited by dekiplav
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @dekiplav, that's very good to know.

I have done many small deals with Ali Express. I usually choose their Ali Express Saver shipping option, its usually under $5, never had any sales taxes or import fees to pay; it can take up to 6 weeks for delivery though.

You would think with a $60 DHL/FedEx shipping fee, all other fees should be covered twice over, except for the federal/provincial sales tax.

Regards 

Coyote

On 2/12/2022 at 9:17 AM, TheCoyoteHunter said:

Thanks @dekiplav, that's very good to know.

I have done many small deals with Ali Express. I usually choose their Ali Express Saver shipping option, its usually under $5, never had any sales taxes or import fees to pay; it can take up to 6 weeks for delivery though.

You would think with a $60 DHL/FedEx shipping fee, all other fees should be covered twice over, except for the federal/provincial sales tax.

Regards 

Coyote

I'd have to look it up, but I bought mine over a year ago (premium version - received right before Xmas), and as I recall it was $265 CAD all-in.  That's to Sask.  There was a fee that I had to pay to DHL when it hit Singapore(?) of around $40, but that's included in the $265.  I knew there would be a charge (it was duties/brokerage and GST, there was no PST).  I remember comparing it to a Warthog at the time that would have been closer to $380, so the $265 sticks in my mind.  I had to pay the same fee on my Crosswind rudder pedals.  I really missed the boat on the Warthog combo (Stick and Throttle) that Costco carried briefly for $529 CAD.  Why I didn't buy 10 of them...🙄

Edited by aleader
  • Thanks 1

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

One reason you see very little in the way of duties from products from the UK to Canada is the UK and Canada have worked out a trade deal in the last couple years similar to NAFTA, where they don't penalize each other's goods.  The UK and Canada have always had strong ties, so it only makes sense.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 4:40 PM, Cerulean said:

One reason you see very little in the way of duties from products from the UK to Canada is the UK and Canada have worked out a trade deal in the last couple years similar to NAFTA, where they don't penalize each other's goods.  The UK and Canada have always had strong ties, so it only makes sense.

That is only for products with UK preferential origin. The product has to have Made in UK label on him or the package and must be accompanied by a document that proves the preferential origin of the product. My Joystick has a label Made in China on him so no mather where is shipped from, in regard free trade agreements it is consider a Chinese product. Only if you have a free trade agreement with China you may expect reduced customs duties. 

From the picture in the previous post from me I see that Canada doesn't have a free trade agreement with China so ... good luck with importing Chinese products 😁.

• 1 month later...

I am in alberta as well, so I appreciate the info! 

Just an FYI The current options are FedEx and DHL and its about 50$ usd shipping.

for the Gladiator NXT EVO 'Space Combat Edition' - SCG Premium Right its about 275$ Cad for each since they charge shipping on each item. I was hoping buying a few would be cheaper, does not look like it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1