DCS: Eurofighter Mini-Update - The New Office

Cobra847

I can only talk from my own experience, which was RAF. There were only minor differences between the nations aircraft and the correct software load would allow any of them to do A/G.  Biggest differences were in SHM and DASS systems, neither of which affected weapons delivery

• Thanks 1

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

18 minutes ago, Specter said:

I can only talk from my own experience, which was RAF. There were only minor differences between the nations aircraft and the correct software load would allow any of them to do A/G.  Biggest differences were in SHM and DASS systems, neither of which affected weapons delivery

Indeed, but some nations did not procure any A/G ordonance or just abstained from using A/G ordonance on Tranche 1 jets.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

53 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Indeed, but some nations did not procure any A/G ordonance or just abstained from using A/G ordonance on Tranche 1 jets.

I do know that.  However, any nation with Tornado also had the ordinance for Tr 1 Typhoon if they had the will to use them.  My involvement in this thread started when it was implied that Tr1 did not do A/G.  As someone involved in the RL Tr1 A/G clearance I just tried to correct that assertion. 

What HB give us in game is for them to decide, I'm fairly sure it will only approximate RL as is the case with most if not all modules.

Either way, I'm out of this conversation now.

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Just to bust the common myth, Typhoon was conceived as a multirole platform from day one, but a phased approach to capability insertion was pursued and the aircraft was scheduled to enter service in a pure airdefence configuration, introducing A/G capabilities through software updates and the appropriate A/G weapons clearances. Priorities have changed over time and A/G has become more important, but that's it. All T1s were AG capable from SRP 4.1 onwards, but only the RAF exploited it and expanded on it with SRP 4.2.

A closer look at the cockpit render unveils you'll get a T2/3 Typhoon and the promo video with the aircraft carrying Meteor implies the same...

@Cobra847

maybe you can make my thread Eurofighter Typhoon facts and myths FAQ sticky again, as it was in the former TrueGrit channel. Should help to answer some general questions with regard to the programme and the aircraft.

Edited by Spectre11
  • Like 3

They've stated we aren't getting a specific RW configuration but one with all the features that they can find enough data for. So it won't be locked to a specific nation or capability set. Which is a first for DCS as far as I know, as they have fudged/stretched equipment weapon sets a little before on some aircraft but never stated up top that one will not conform to a specific time and nation, i.e. Full Frankenstein. So We'll see how it goes over. 

Anyways cockpit looks fantastic! Can't wait. 

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

1 hour ago, Spectre11 said:

A closer look at the cockpit render unveils you'll get a T2/3 Typhoon and the promo video with the aircraft carrying Meteor implies the same...

What I did notice in the render is stowage for both seat pan and canopy safety pins.  I was lead to believe, although willing to be corrected, that only the RAF used both pins and the other nations used only the Safe/Arm handle and the canopy pin.

3 hours ago, Specter said:

What I did notice in the render is stowage for both seat pan and canopy safety pins.  I was lead to believe, although willing to be corrected, that only the RAF used both pins and the other nations used only the Safe/Arm handle and the canopy pin.

We (Luftwaffe) use also the seat pin and the safe/arm handle. And the jet recognizes if the seat pin wasn‘t put correctly in his stow position on the right panel and give You an appropriate warning on the left display. Seat pin travel and arming the handle usually on taxiing.

• Like 2

Hey guys? Where did I say that it can't do A/G? I just stated that it's a purebred fighter. Which it is, and which is how I will probably make use of it in DCS for 90% of the time. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Compared to previous images of the cockpit that were posted earlier, did you guys decide to redo the textures from scratch or something? Or were those WIP pics from late 2020 just using some placeholder assets?

Edited by DSplayer

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

5 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Compared to previous images of the cockpit that were posted earlier, did you guys decide to redo the textures from scratch or something? Or were those WIP pics from late 2020 just using some placeholder assets?

There are textures? :huh:
I just see the basic placeholder texture.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

6 hours ago, QuiGon said:

There are textures? :huh:
I just see the basic placeholder texture.

I meant like the last time they sent pictures of the Eurofighter cockpit.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

On 2/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, Mike Force Team said:

When the Eurofighter is available, we will have dates for hostile targets.

A date between a Typhoon and a Su-27? Sounds romantic. Who pays for dinner, I wonder.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 7:16 PM, Germane said:

It looks fantastic! I am convinced you will set a new standard.  Thanks for the update. I have one question. You write about a mix of photogrammetry and more traditional measurement. Do the traditional measurements have an advantage over photogrammetry?

Since no one responded to this as far as I can see, I'll give you an answer: Photogrammetry is great for more 'organic' shapes which are difficult to measure, the joystick being a perfect example. The models resulting from photogrammetry describe shape very well, but are usualy quite vague in terms of absolute precision.

For things that can be measured, nothing is more accurate than vernier callipers or even a simple ruler or tape measure. Most appropriate of which depends entirely on the size of the object being measured.

Even with good photogrammetry you still need to confirm that your reference mesh is the correct size. That's done by comparing it with physical measurements from the real thing.

Edited by Brun
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Am 25.3.2022 um 13:55 schrieb Brun:

Since no one responded to this as far as I can see, I'll give you an answer: Photogrammetry is great for more 'organic' shapes which are difficult to measure, the joystick being a perfect example. The models resulting from photogrammetry describe shape very well, but are usualy quite vague in terms of absolute precision.

For things that can be measured, nothing is more accurate than vernier callipers or even a simple ruler or tape measure. Most appropriate of which depends entirely on the size of the object being measured.

Even with good photogrammetry you still need to confirm that your reference mesh is the correct size. That's done by comparing it with physical measurements from the real thing.

Very interesting. Thank you for the answer!