OpenTrack 2021.2.0 using NeuralNet Option with Webcam head tracking works well

whitav8

I've tried TrackIR, OpenTrack with AITracker and quite a few other combinations to get a reliable, non-noisy way to look sideways on a 2D monitor and I just recently tried the Neuralnet tracker option with an inexpensive $25 Logitech Windows 11 720p webcam in daytime and with medium-level nightime lighting. I found it to be really useable and I can fly turns around a point on the ground well. It also lets me lean forward to naturally "zoom" in on the instrument panel. I had to use the mapping option to double/triple default yaw movement while lowering (half, third) x,y,and z movements. You have to use a key to center the movement before the z axis (fore/aft) will work. I appreciate that I don't have to use flat spots in the curve mappings to get "locked-in" viewpoints.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Yes,I noticed it works very well too, but only when you're right in front of it, around 40cm from the camera lens. Of course as your head goes further away and smaller it gets erratic. Is there any way to magnify the webcam image like with digital zoom, if we cannot relocate the webcam?

@Miwashi

In opentrack click the hammer beside neuralnet to open it's settings there on the left hand side, below "Camera name" you should see an option for Camera settings. If you open the "Camera Control" tab you should find an option to zoom your camera, adjust focus etc. Generally windows will not remember these settings after a reboot so you'll most like have to adjust each time.

I find I get the best results with neuralnet when I remove colour saturation, bump up contrast a little bit and and adjust the settings for exposure. But I'm only using it for translation so your mileage may vary.

Edit: just as a side note if your camera is a logitech you can probably use G Hub to create a profile for it, that way you just have to start G Hub, it'll load the profile and then you can exit G Hub again so it's not running in the background. It's still a bit clunky, but a bit better than having to adjust sliders every time.

nn_zoom.png

Edited by -Pancake-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...