Open Beta Dedicated Server Taking 5 minutes to start, then each person connecting has to wait 5 minutes in a loading screen before they're into the session

Hello All - 

I've managed to get the open beta dedicated server running but I have a strange issue I'm not seeing anywhere. When I launch the game (whether I use the shortcut the app creates that runs the updater first or a direct shortcut to dcs.exe), the server window will appear ok at first, then go to "Not Responding". If I leave it there to do its thing, it eventually starts (after 5 minutes) like nothing happened. It shows up in the public global list of servers and anyone can connect to it. But when they connect, they're stuck at the "loading" screen for 5 minutes again. Then they're suddenly in like normal. I have more than enough horsepower to run everything needed. This is a new install of the open beta dedicated server. Specs below:

Windows Server 2022
6 CPU Cores @ 4.9GHz
16GB RAM
500GB on locally attached SSD array

It is a virtual machine running on a Linux KVM host. No other VMs are running at the time so the VM has all of the resources of the host available (which are considerable). When I use the Windows Resource Monitor to analyze the wait chain, it indicates two threads of dcs.exe are waiting for network I/O. I'd love to know if any of you have seen same

How big is the mission?  Does it contain a lot of image files or similar?  I've found that they can have a big impact upon load times.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It looks like your Virtualization environment is killing host performance, most probably in the Disk I/O or RAM speed.
On boot server will load all the terrain data needed for simulation on RAM, starting from a minimum of 3GB for Caucasus and up to 5GB minimum for Syria only for terrain, without considering every other involved variable like units used, and of course images eventually used for briefing, knee-board embedded in .miz etc...

Maybe also the RAM could be not enough for complex mission, and can be the cause of this "slow" start since it's going to use swap ( pagefile )

Just for reference, we had public server running missions file size from 2MB up to 12MB, and they takes about 1 minute to start.

A workaround ( that I was usual to take in place in the past since there was a stability issue related to clients join server during server loading ) is setup a firewall, so players will be able to join during server spool-up.

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Do some io benchmarks, see where the bottleneck is. Make sure you're using VirtIO drivers for all your devices. I have no problems running a virtualized DCS server with a pretty old system under KVM.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat