Using camera rig rails as basis for a throttle?

Miwashi

I was wondering how feasible this is, with the parts bring rather common. These are aluminum tubes and slider parts that people use to put together camera video rigs.

Does anyone think there will be friction problems when sliding?

As for measuring the axis movement,I'm thinking of attaching an audio fader below the assembly. Is it possible to do this instead with hall sensors, assuming the travel length is around 15 cm? Can the magnetic strength be measured over this distance?

IMG_20220209_164457.jpg

tb_image_share_1644397055389.jpg.png

Camera rails like this are designed to NOT slide!

Better to use something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09MQB592F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Hi.

Look for the hardware of a 3D printer, as the rails and the traveler are deigned to do so, and they move very smoothly.

In the other topic, 15 cms travel will be too much for a Hall effect sensor, at least for the ones I know. The fader potentiometer is the best choice, provided you can find so long ones (here in Spain I can find up to 6 cms, IIRC).

The general idea is great, go for it, and shares some pictures, if available, as you are finsihing it.

Saludos.

Saca111

very much designed  to bind!

Before I build my simpit I did have a set of left over rods I mounted to the front of my chair and then put my joystick on a baseplate. Nice quick release, but ended up reusing the base plate for a camera rig anyway.

Definitely not a bearing surface