Is my setup adequate for the FA-18 or Tomcat?

conura

Hey guys,

Typically I've been a fan of world war 2 Sims so my time has largely been spent with IL2, but I've become curious about the F-14 and F-18. Problem is, I have a setup really geared more towards World War 2 and civilian aircraft:

https://ibb.co/3NFVBmJ

It's pretty good with a high availability of buttons, but really the only buttons available near the throttle are the ones on the bottom row. I also have rudder pedals and head tracking.

Before I download the simulator and set things up, is there much point with this particular setup? Would the F18/14 be more appropriate, or would this just be an exercise in frustration?

Thanks

The F14B really doesn't need that many buttons. Most of the stuff you can just klick in the cockpit, that's one of the beauties of DCS World, clickable cockpits. The Jester (AI) wheel is also pretty great, and it's contextual so it requires minimal binds. 

Your setup should be more than fine for the F14B, the F18C is however a bit more complex, especially since you have to work the radar yourself but it should also be doable. Hopefully you have at least a Track IR though, since you need to click around the cockpit it's useful to be able to look around. (Not to mention the fact that it's great for immersion as well as looking out of your cockpit 🙂 )

Also there should be a try before you buy period of two weeks per module, for pretty much any module in the game. So there is that. Give it a go, play around with your bindings and have fun going down the rabbit hole 😛

• Thanks 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

26 minutes ago, conura said:

Hey guys,

Typically I've been a fan of world war 2 Sims so my time has largely been spent with IL2, but I've become curious about the F-14 and F-18. Problem is, I have a setup really geared more towards World War 2 and civilian aircraft:

https://ibb.co/3NFVBmJ

It's pretty good with a high availability of buttons, but really the only buttons available near the throttle are the ones on the bottom row. I also have rudder pedals and head tracking.

Before I download the simulator and set things up, is there much point with this particular setup? Would the F18/14 be more appropriate, or would this just be an exercise in frustration?

Thanks

Well, it's a bit difficult to give you one straight answer, as this as it's obviously very dependent on your expectations and personal wishes.

There are people that play DCS with just a keyboard and mouse, there are folks here that build themselves a full blown replica cockpit and everything in between.. So yes, I'd say your current setup is more than adequate for DCS (whichever module you desire).

Will you be able to key-bind everything to your stick and throttle quadrant, no, not even close, but hardly anyone here will. That's why the cockpits of the full fidelity modules are clickable 🙂 

Anyways, just go and make use of the 14day free trial and you'll know 😉 

(Also, I'm not familiar with your stick/throttle, but if possible it would be a lot more ergonomic if you'd place the stick to your right (or between your legs) and the throttle to your left. Positioning it in front of you on your desk like this is hardy ergonomic and pleasant in use I'd think)

EDIT:

Sniped by @Lurker... I type slow...

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Thanks for the advice guys - I think I'll give it a go!

On the topic of ergonomics, this is the VKB NXT/SEM/THQ combo. I used to use the TWCS in what you'd think is a more ergonomic setup, but surprisingly this setup is extremely comfortable. Stick in the middle, throttle to the left, and I've had 3/4 hour multiplayer IL 2 sessions in a lot of comfort - whereas I used to get some aches from using the TWCS long term. Surprised me too actually. Actually, a reason for this might be the relative set and forget nature of WW2 planes. the throttles tend to either sit in cruise setting, or combat setting, so your hand is off the throttle most of the time.

(Also yup I do have TrackIR - and a good pair of rudder pedals!)

Edited by conura

Then definitely go for the F14B, in many respects it's like a WWII airplane, that really, really needs a lot of rudder. In fact above a certain AoA the plane will depart unless you roll it exclusively with the rudders. 

One of the most fun fighters to fly and fight in DCS World, feels like you're riding a barely contained wild tiger. 

By comparison the F18C is a tame housecat, with all the FBW and flying assists you have at hand. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Then definitely go for the F14B, in many respects it's like a WWII airplane, that really, really needs a lot of rudder. In fact above a certain AoA the plane will depart unless you roll it exclusively with the rudders. 

One of the most fun fighters to fly and fight in DCS World, feels like you're riding a barely contained wild tiger. 

By comparison the F18C is a tame housecat, with all the FBW and flying assists you have at hand. 

Thanks Lurker. Just one final question from me then. Is the F-14 a viable plane for flying online on a long term basis? Almost the entirety of my time online in IL-2 has been online with a squadron in multiplayer PVP, because it lets you use real world tactics and human competition is much more interesting to me (cooperative online is also great). The reason I ask about long term basis is because for me part of the enjoyment comes from spending the long term with something and becoming proficient over  many months, which (in my opinion) just isn't too viable with only AI to cooperate with.

I'm thinking in terms of flying multiplayer servers with others - is the F14 totally outclassed by other jets like the F16/F18 in PVP scenarios? Just trying to figure out what I'd do with it after I've finished all the SP content 🙂

vor 46 Minuten schrieb conura:

I'm thinking in terms of flying multiplayer servers with others - is the F14 totally outclassed by other jets like the F16/F18 in PVP scenarios? Just trying to figure out what I'd do with it after I've finished all the SP content 🙂

The F-14 has some disadvantages compared to the Viper or the Hornet. Most of it comes from much better situational awareness in the other fighters. You have no helmet mounted display, the HUD offers only limited information and the MFDs of the other fighters also help them keeping SA because of some nice pages.

The F-14 is not able to carry the AIM-120s as an medium range option, which is more or less a fire and forget weapon (when it goes active). You just have the semi active AIM-7 which is pretty useless against an opponent with AMRAAMS. But you can carry the active guided, long-range AIM-54 as an alternative. However, I don't know how it compares to the AIM-120 regarding its probability of kill, but you have a range advantage and you also have the better radar. In a dogfight, the F-14 seems to do pretty well in the right hands, but she is much more challenging than the fly by wire jets. You can easily lose control if not paying attention.

Overall I would say the F-14 can do well in PvP (havn't tried PvP with her myself) if you play to its advantages. 

Maybe watch some Growling Sidewinder Videos on YouTube to see what the jets can do in the hands of somebody who knows how to do it.

Edited by Wychmaster

1 hour ago, conura said:

Not at all, like I said the thing is a beast. The AI is robust enough to be used as a pretty dependable back-seater, and you have the option to fly with another human in the backseat which is even better (but not necessary). As for advantages and disadvantages, well it all depends on how you employ it. It's got the longest reach out of all the fighters out there, with an active long range Phoenix missile, it's big, carries a LOT of fuel, it's extremely fast up high, and can be a deadly dogfighter once you get the hang of it. You can even do A/G in it, a role it's surprisingly good at, since it can carry a lot of ordnance. It's swing wing design allows it to shine in pretty much every role. Oh, and lets not forget it can land on the boat, if carrier OPS is something you enjoy. 

As for limited SA, i disagree about that. It's systems are simpler, but no less powerful than the other jets. It can get very good SA if you have a Big Bird in the sky (yes it even has Data Link) it's RWR is great. The only real disadvantage, if you even want to call it that is that it takes a while to learn to fly properly, which is not a disadvantage in my book. 

If you can handle WWII jets, you already have an advantage against people who are used to flying FBW jets. You fly the airplane, the airplane doesn't fly you. 

Edited by Lurker