Multi-Threading Discussion

Canada_Moose

Corrected.

Thanks to support who responded quickly, I can play this release and it's great, I gained <> 15FPS flying the Mirage F1 at very low level Nellis AFB map in high settings, I'm sure I can improve on this with better drivers and a few tricks...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Thinder said:

Tested in 2D. High settings, it runs real smooth, I believe my issues are coming from the VR implementation, not Multithreading at all, and I'm sure it can run with the same high settings in VR once those issues and AMD drivers are sorted.

This is the first few seconds of the game, Mirage F1 EE, Free flight Caucasus, after that the FPS is real low, so there is a fundamental problem with the way VR runs VR with my Pico, I will submit a ticket to support to try to figure out what's wrong...

start-Caucasus.jpg

you need to allow time for it to load in VR, there is a much greater overhead when running VR setups

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi - very impressive results in this first iteration of MT. I have not noticed much difference in VR as I suspect even with my card I am GPU bound. But in 2D at 4K the results are clear. I used the Raven One campaign and selected the second mission. I used FRAPS to log frames etc.. Started the logging just as I got into the cockpit (set to the static front view). Let the game run until the words "...start your engines!".

Blue is ST exe, Red is MT exe.

ST:    Min (81), Max (108), Avg (95)

MT:    Min (105), Max (126), Avg (119)

EDIT: cleared out those shader folders etc and now feels buttery smooth in VR in MP with 16 humans. Super job ED!

image.jpeg

Edited by C3PO
  • Like 4

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

you need to allow time for it to load in VR, there is a much greater overhead when running VR setups

The main problem was the duplication of folders, I had to rename the DCS.openbeta folder to Backup, it took forever to load and apparently started the game on another map/mission, I guess interception looking at the sea.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

I'm happy I fly pancake. Much easier to figure out.

That said, nice smooth flight over the South Atlantic map last night. I didn't test with and without MT, but it just felt like a smoother flight.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Am 10.3.2023 um 21:17 schrieb TheFreshPrince:

Did some benchmarks with undervolting/OC tests a week ago and just tried the same today after the patch, same settings:

Benchmark today after update: min 65 max 91 avg 75

Benchmark one week ago: min 61 max 85 avg 68

That's good already, but I definitely can feel it more in MP. On the full GS server it was very smooth. Like really, really smooth. Barely below 60 FPS, worst drop was to about 40 FPS. Nice!

(2D 1440p with RTX 2080 and Ryzen 5 5500, 32GB)

Umm I just realised that you have to start a different .exe for MT lol. So those benchmarks weren't even in MT. Something in the update apparently also improved the ST performance. So did another one with MT:

Benchmark one week ago: min 61 max 85 avg 68

Benchmark after update (with ST): min 65 (+4) max 91 (+6) avg 75 (+7)

Benchmark after update with MT: min 69 (+8) max 105 (+20) avg 81 (+13)

That's even more impressive!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have an AMD 5800X CPU ... presume MT works "natively" on that without any special BIOS setting?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Did anything changed?

I got this error message now and I didn't change anything since I last was able to log-in...

i guess it's back to writing a ticket to support...

damaged.jpg

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, Thinder said:

Did anything changed?

I got this error message now and I didn't change anything since I last was able to log-in...

i guess it's back to writing a ticket to support...

damaged.jpg

your shortcut is wrong you have added .exe on the end of your parameters 

• Like 4

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

your shortcut is wrong you have added .exe on the end of your parameters 

Thanks. I copied/pasted from the email I received from support. I'm correcting immediately, but it seems that the line given by support ias correct, something is adding .exe to the line but it doesn't show in the shortcut.

error-2.jpg

Edited by Thinder

• ED Team

you have most likely pasted incorrectly. the exe should be on the end of dcs

ie dcs.exe then your parameters   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

you have most likely pasted incorrectly. the exe should be on the end of dcs

ie dcs.exe then your parameters   

OK done. Thanks again.

No, it doesn't work. I didn't touch the line before it first failed to start. Now I got two .exe on this line.

Eroor-3.jpg

Edited by Thinder

I have spent a few days on this, tried all the suggested tweaks and concluded that ST is better on my system.  I have maybe gained 5 max FPS but with stutters, the Image quality is slightly worse and I'm getting the red CPU bound message. The only advantage for me is the quicker load times.

Steam version, open XR, reverb g2 with exactly the same settings in game and open XR in both ST and MT versions.

i 12900k, 3090ti,  64gb RAM, Windows 11.

This is not a complaint, I just hope that ED can use information like this to improve MT.

Edited by tangobravo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tangobravo said:

I have spent a few days on this, tried all the suggested tweaks and concluded that ST is better on my system.  I have maybe gained 5 max FPS but with stutters, the Image quality is slightly worse and I'm getting the red CPU bound message. The only advantage for me is the quicker load times.

Steam version, open XR, reverb g2 with exactly the same settings in game and open XR in both ST and MT versions.

This is not a complaint, I just hope that ED can use information like this to improve MT.

This is what worked for me when I last was able to launch the game..

Subject: Your ticket has been updated
Hello,
thank you for your message to DCS World support.

Please try resetting DCS World to default values by renaming the DCS.openbeta folder to Backup, located at:
C:\Users\Username\Saved Games

Also, try adding the following launch option to the DCS World shortcut:
--force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

More details here:
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/318004-dcs-now-supports-openxr-natively/

--
Best regards,
Mike

OK. Wipe out and fresh install in order. Something is adding to the line and it's not me, new ticket sent to support, I'm happy they are there to be honest..

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, tangobravo said:

Please post in the bugs section, this thread isnt the place it will just get lost here 
https://forum.dcs.world/forum/1144-multi-threading-bug-reports-temp/
add your dcs log and dxdiag and we will take a look

thanks

• Like 2

• ED Team
48 minutes ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Seeing some really impressive results. I just wish I had my old system handy to test it on just for the sake of curiosity.

good to hear you are getting good results. 

1 hour ago, Thinder said:

OK done. Thanks again.

No, it doesn't work. I didn't touch the line before it first failed to start. Now I got two .exe on this line.

Eroor-3.jpg

Your line at Target should look like this "x:DCSfolder/bin-mt/DCS.exe" --force_enable_vr --force_openxr

In your screenshot there is still the .exe attached at the end which is wrong! 

Btw i am really getting great results since multithreading. I could fly the apache on the marianas map low above the towns and it only dropped to 33 fps. I mean it was a jitterfest at some point, but nothing compared to the around 28 fps i got on the runway before take off. 🙂

Edited by erniedaoage

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

1 hour ago, erniedaoage said:

Your line at Target should look like this "x:DCSfolder/bin-mt/DCS.exe" --force_enable_vr --force_openxr

In your screenshot there is still the .exe attached at the end which is wrong! 

Btw i am really getting great results since multithreading. I could fly the apache on the marianas map low above the towns and it only dropped to 33 fps. I mean it was a jitterfest at some point, but nothing compared to the around 28 fps i got on the runway before take off. 🙂

I know but I don't write the .exe, I copy/paste the line from support which is correct, something writes those letters and they don't show on the thumbnail, then I tried  DCS iun 2D and get the same error message, all of that after a fresh install, DCS is on its own M2-SSD, I ran a full system anti-virus scan before reinstalling.

Anyway, ticket is gone to support I'm sure they'll figure it out.

2 minutes ago, Thinder said:

I know but I don't write the .exe, I copy/paste the line from support which is correct, something writes those letters and they don't show on the thumbnail, then I tried  DCS iun 2D and get the same error message, all of that after a fresh install, DCS is on its own M2-SSD, I ran a full system anti-virus scan before reinstalling.

Do you have "Hide extensions for known file types" ENABLED in Windows?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

This is probably Windows screwing with you. Never did that for me, but then, I'm still on Windows 10. Hiding extensions, or some other non-obvious option might be responsible. That, or try retyping this, maybe it won't append the .exe then.

Edited by Dragon1-1

1 hour ago, zildac said:

Do you have "Hide extensions for known file types" ENABLED in Windows?

Good suggestion if it is the case, the setting has changed by itself... I'll check.

Yep, was enabled.

Repair (all files plus additional steps Search for extra files) did find a file with this name (.exe), I moved it to back up and the normal start Icon is still there, so I guess it was a different file taking over and triggering the error message, testing now, we never know I might be lucky.

>>> It didn't work, still the same error message, on the other hand, DCS starts although it is taking time, and might crash...

Edited by Thinder

11 hours ago, Thinder said:

Or you could, you know, just edit the string. It should take you 2 seconds. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.