Multi-Threading Discussion

Canada_Moose

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Or you could, you know, just edit the string. It should take you 2 seconds. 

The string is rewritten whatever I do, there is nothing I can do by editing it, it shows normally on the Icon, the .exe is added in the error message.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• ED Team
26 minutes ago, Thinder said:

The string is rewritten whatever I do, there is nothing I can do by editing it, it shows normally on the Icon, the .exe is added in the error message.

I think you are getting confused somewhere feel free to PM me 

the target line can be edited on a shortcut 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yes, like this:
The "Target" line says: "E:\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

image.png

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I think you are getting confused somewhere feel free to PM me 

the target line can be edited on a shortcut 

thanks

Thanks BIGNEWY.

2 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes, like this:
The "Target" line says: "E:\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

image.png

I realized that the "" around DCS.exe are missing on the line I write, this have been highlighted by Mike from support who gave me a link.

Thanks for your help.

fault-again.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

4 hours ago, Thinder said:

Thanks BIGNEWY.

I realized that the "" around DCS.exe are missing on the line I write, this have been highlighted by Mike from support who gave me a link.

Thanks for your help.

fault-again.jpg

Why have you renamed the executable? Rename it back to DCS.exe, the commands are ONLY appended in the properties window FOR THE SHORTCUT, NOT THE EXECUTABLE.

dcs.JPG

Edited by 98abaile
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 98abaile said:

Why have you renamed the executable? Rename it back to DCS.exe, the commands are ONLY appended in the properties window FOR THE SHORTCUT, NOT THE EXECUTABLE.

dcs.JPG

Yes, I had another email from Mike at support. Thanks!

I still haven't solved the problem but we're getting there.

11 hours ago, Thinder said:

Yes, I had another email from Mike at support. Thanks!

I still haven't solved the problem but we're getting there.

Rename the executable back to DCS.exe.

Right click on the executable -> Send to -> desktop (create shortcut).

Find the newly created shortcut on the desktop -> right click -> properties and click on the shortcut tab.

Add --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR onto the end of the target, make sure there is a space between the last " and the first -- as seen above.

My results from MT are excellent in terms of roughly halving the CPU frame time peaks. (12900KF) Unfortunately that hasn’t translated in to much of an improvement, perhaps a little, in terms of what gets rendered because my 3080ti seems to be the limiting factor. It seems to me that the big performance gains will only arrive after load can be shifted from the GPU back to the CPU.

That sounds obvious, I know, however is there someone that knows what they’re talking about that would care to shed some light on how that transfer might happen because from what I can see both Vulkan and DLSS look to be tinkering around with CPU also but I’m not in IT and am happy to be disabused of that perspective……

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Well, since my headset has crapped out and I have yet to fix it I cannot test in VR, but I did fire up the MT executable today on my 2d UW screen. Before, with most settings maxed and a few minor allowances for particular hogs, I was getting 75ish, with MT and all settings maxed it is steady at 120-130fps, sometimes surging to 180ish. It does have some sporadic microstutters, but I gather that's a known issue, but goddamn. That's a huge improvement. I'm excited to try it out in VR one of these days.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

gained 3 fps in single player mission (from 51 to 54fps) only my aircraft parked in Batumi, same rendering spot fov, settings ect. Step in good direction.

My setup 😄 i5 4690+gtx 970 16g ram

With next patch i expect around 10 fps boost and with the next one another 10 fps. Soon i will be able to sell my 970 and went back to gtx 660 that i had few years ago.

Edited by Peter5on
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 3:16 PM, 98abaile said:

Rename the executable back to DCS.exe.

Right click on the executable -> Send to -> desktop (create shortcut).

Find the newly created shortcut on the desktop -> right click -> properties and click on the shortcut tab.

Add --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR onto the end of the target, make sure there is a space between the last " and the first -- as seen above.

Thanks guys for your help.

At the moment I'm dealing with a failing mobo so I can't tell which part is due to errors coming from this failure, for the time being I'm sticking to Elite Dangerous, with the GPU on PCI_E2 which performs better than PCI_E1, this shouldn't be the case (x 8  vs X 16) and I will replace this motherboard shortly.

Fly safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pretty happy with this patch.

The fan in my 2080 card would rev pretty high when this game was run.  Now it doesn't at all, which is nice.

Some graphics glitches.  In the F2 view, sometimes the plane will be distorted and shoved into the side of the screen.  Sometimes, but not always.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

• 1 month later...

Once I got it to work, in VR the improvements are striking, curiously, my CPU is still way behind my GPU in terms of load percentage, I think it could be improved and performances will go up as well.

2000-CTest2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Thinder said:

Once I got it to work, in VR the improvements are striking, curiously, my CPU is still way behind my GPU in terms of load percentage, I think it could be improved and performances will go up as well.

2000-CTest2.jpg

Imho you see the expected behaviour for a maxed out GPU (99% in your case).

Since the rendering work of CPU and GPU happens parallelly (shifted by a couple of frames) the CPU is not able to push more frames if GPU is at full load.

For testing you could reduce GPU load by reducing e.g. the resolution significantly. Then you should see a higher CPU load.

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

Imho you see the expected behaviour for a maxed out GPU (99% in your case).

Since the rendering work of CPU and GPU happens parallelly (shifted by a couple of frames) the CPU is not able to push more frames if GPU is at full load.

For testing you could reduce GPU load by reducing e.g. the resolution significantly. Then you should see a higher CPU load.

It's a solution, however, I am after quality of visuals and frame rate, the CPU and GPU loads are not what I am looking for but the results of my settings.

I always conduct my tests in this map or Nellis at very low level because it takes a lot of redraw and it is where the GPU limits shows first, especially with high settings between hills covered with trees, those are tests to determine settings in DCS or as it turned out more than once, RAM kits and even cooling.

I generally look sideways to see how the environment zoom past the aircraft, and if I see too much flickering, then the settings are too high, in this particular test I had a lower pick of just above 40FPS but little flickering and image quality was very good as you can guess from the image, on the Nellis map it's pretty much the same except that the distance at which I can see the electric line is more important than on the Caucasus map.

Edited by Thinder

2 hours ago, Thinder said:

It's a solution, however, I am after quality of visuals and frame rate, the CPU and GPU loads are not what I am looking for but the results of my settings.

100% agreed.

But I didn't mean to stay on those lower settings. I suggested it to understand how CPU/GPU load works, then return and enjoy.

I can only repeat: as long as GPU load is 99% maxed out, there is no way a higher CPU load gets more FPS.

I for one am quite happy, that my GPU is the bottleneck too under those conditions because as soon as there are more AI units or other players, your CPU will get enough work to do.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

100% agreed.

But I didn't mean to stay on those lower settings. I suggested it to understand how CPU/GPU load works, then return and enjoy.

I can only repeat: as long as GPU load is 99% maxed out, there is no way a higher CPU load gets more FPS.

I for one am quite happy, that my GPU is the bottleneck too under those conditions because as soon as there are more AI units or other players, your CPU will get enough work to do.

You suggestion is a very good solution for testing and the alternative would be to set my GPU Maximum Frequencies lower instead of lowering load, I always start by testing with 3DMark Pro at 4K 2 X MSAA anyway.

At the moment they both clock slightly higher than the standard Maximum Boost, I can lower those to the standard ones and see what the gain with CPU might be since I already have a reference, but I prefer to retain maximum load on my system for testing, which implies high DCS settings and harsh environment when testing it in MT-VR.

I'm not sure that at 2662MHz the GPU qualifies as bottleneck, it's more a case of the CPU being limited and I was wondering if by tweaking the M-T algorithms, DCS developers wouldn't be able to "free" some more performances from the CPU independently of the GPU load, I mean what limits it?

For the time being I prep my PC for a further upgrade to gain some bandwidth with an ultra-fast M.2_2 SSD running on the 4.0 x 4 slot, I had to move Windows and all the apps to the SATA by Cloning it with Hasleo Back Up Suite Free edition, it works perfectly, the new SSD should run at 7,450 MB/s and 6,900 MB/s R/W so it will contribute to better gaming performances and the SSD I had on the fast slot is free for whatever I want to use it for on the slower M2 slot.

I haven't thought about testing performances of the CPU by lowering GPU load but I will, it will be interesting and certainly give some interesting feedback to DCS developers.

47 minutes ago, Thinder said:

You suggestion is a very good solution for testing and the alternative would be to set my GPU Maximum Frequencies lower instead of lowering load, I always start by testing with 3DMark Pro at 4K 2 X MSAA anyway.

At the moment they both clock slightly higher than the standard Maximum Boost, I can lower those to the standard ones and see what the gain with CPU might be since I already have a reference, but I prefer to retain maximum load on my system for testing, which implies high DCS settings and harsh environment when testing it in MT-VR.

I'm not sure that at 2662MHz the GPU qualifies as bottleneck, it's more a case of the CPU being limited and I was wondering if by tweaking the M-T algorithms, DCS developers wouldn't be able to "free" some more performances from the CPU independently of the GPU load, I mean what limits it?

For the time being I prep my PC for a further upgrade to gain some bandwidth with an ultra-fast M.2_2 SSD running on the 4.0 x 4 slot, I had to move Windows and all the apps to the SATA by Cloning it with Hasleo Back Up Suite Free edition, it works perfectly, the new SSD should run at 7,450 MB/s and 6,900 MB/s R/W so it will contribute to better gaming performances and the SSD I had on the fast slot is free for whatever I want to use it for on the slower M2 slot.

I haven't thought about testing performances of the CPU by lowering GPU load but I will, it will be interesting and certainly give some interesting feedback to DCS developers.

please feel free to post your results here. I'm very interested in this subject, for I wonder what I could gain with a faster CPU even with maxed GPU load. Especially in MT-DCS.

7 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

please feel free to post your results here. I'm very interested in this subject, for I wonder what I could gain with a faster CPU even with maxed GPU load. Especially in MT-DCS.

I will, I bookmark the topic, but be patient, I still have a lot of work to do before I can post viable comparative with a stable rig apps and games.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thinder said:

What makes me wonder in your performance screenshot above is that your CPU (is it the Ryzen 7 5800X 3D from your signature?) seems to just clock at 3600 MHz - that seems a bit low as such a CPU should easily clock in a MT environment at 4.2 to 4.3 GHz. Is it and the whole system (RAM as well) just on stock settings and doesn't use any OC profile? I am not so used to AMD systems as I just use Intel since many years, so I am not sure if OC is working the same on your platform, but the CPU should be capable to clock much higher if cooling is sufficient.

Edited by schmiefel
Typos fixed

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

1 hour ago, schmiefel said:

What makes me wonder in your performance screenshot above is that your CPU (is it the Ryzen 7 5800X 3D from your signature?) seems to just clock at 3600 MHz - that seems a bit low as such a CPU should easily clock in a MT environment at 4.2 to 4.3 GHz. Is it and the whole system (RAM as well) just on stock settings and doesn't use any OC profile? I am not so used to AMD systems as I just use Intel since many years, so I am not sure if OC is working the same on your platform, but the CPU should be capable to clock much higher if cooling is sufficient.

You're not the only one asking yourself some questions about this CPU score, you're right, the Maximum Boost Clock should be 4.5GHz, that is something I should be looking at, it is not my RAM, I am still not familiar with my new motherboard BIOS and I ran the RAM at 3200MHz for a while thinking I've set it up to its designed Cl14 3600MHz frequency...

RAMCPUZ.jpg

So it is worth investigating, but as I was saying there still is a lot more to come from this rig, including the GPU.

You can't O.C the 7 5800X 3D...

Edited by Thinder

6 minutes ago, Thinder said:

You can't O.C the 7 5800X 3D...

Ah o.k. - didn't know that. But according to its specs it should be capable of boosting up to 4.5 GHz (see: https://www.amd.com/en/product/11576 ) at least on a single core at once and depending on board and other environmental factors. I just wonder why its rather boosting at all in your scenario or if maybe there is something wrong with the current DCS MT implemenation when used with such an AMD CPU? Did you make cross checking tests to the 'old' / common single threaded DCS version? But maybe the performance measuring tool (it seems to be Afterburner?) isn't showing the whole picture regarding the CPU. Maybe worth a look in the settings of this tool and what it shows, too?

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

Ah o.k. - didn't know that. But according to its specs it should be capable of boosting up to 4.5 GHz (see: https://www.amd.com/en/product/11576 ) at least on a single core at once and depending on board and other environmental factors. I just wonder why its rather boosting at all in your scenario or if maybe there is something wrong with the current DCS MT implemenation when used with such an AMD CPU? Did you make cross checking tests to the 'old' / common single threaded DCS version? But maybe the performance measuring tool (it seems to be Afterburner?) isn't showing the whole picture regarding the CPU. Maybe worth a look in the settings of this tool and what it shows, too?

I just rebooted from BIOS and my CPU speed shows 3600MHz which is also what CPUZ test results shows, if there is a BIOS setting to get it to run at its normal boost speed I haven't find it yet, I'm in touch with ASUS support and that's the next thing I'll be looking at.

I am not sure that it is a DCS/AMD thing, more likely a BIOS setting or my GPU is not working properly, what I can do next is to install Ryzen Master and see if I can unlock it.

>>>

Update. After a BIOS update, the CPU runs at the base clock recommended by AMD (3.4GHz) and during heavy load it should boost up to a higher frequency...

Right... Sounds like the automatic ejection seat of the Yak-38, I'll see how it goes.

a7tl6q.png

Edited by Thinder

First test flight since last PC upgrade (SSD) on Mirage 2000C Caucasus map at tree top/560Kt, very smooth, the combo didn't blink, no flickering  from the side, just a little fogging in central HUD area but I think it is a graphic setting that can be turned down/off, I have to research what it is again that causes this to occur.

I still can't get MSI Afterburner to show in replays but my CPU was firing on all 8 Cores well above 3600MHz at times, a lot of progresses achieved there, I'll try to get the graphs to show in replays, overall, this runs a lot smoother than my first videos, stunning visuals, good frame rate...

first.jpg

settings-1.jpg

settings-2.jpg

Screen shots are from the 2D version where I watch the replays, I have just reset the "Enable Virtual Reality Headset" option.

Edited by Thinder