Clouds supposed to be this low???

On 2/12/2022 at 1:56 PM, kraszus said:

I'm 800ft above ground - about 3000ft barometric. Nearly the whole surface area is covered by cloud.

Unfortunately, that’s how DCS currently handles clouds. You are setting them for a height above sea level across the entire map. If you set their base at 3000 ft and the terrain is at 3000 ft, the clouds will be on the ground. Hopefully there will be local variability eventually.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 8:50 AM, Ironhand said:

Unfortunately, that’s how DCS currently handles clouds. You are setting them for a height above sea level across the entire map. If you set their base at 3000 ft and the terrain is at 3000 ft, the clouds will be on the ground. Hopefully there will be local variability eventually.

Yes, and when the base of the clouds touches the ground, it becomes fog for the person standing there. Something a lot of people don't seem to understand. Fog is a cloud that has reached the ground. 

BTW, the picture at the top with clouds below and hills sticking out is quite common for people who fly real airplanes. 

Edited by Goggles
add remarks
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Goggles said:

Something a lot of people don't seem to understand. Fog is a cloud that has reached the ground. 

It may be. But not always.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

6 hours ago, Ironhand said:

It may be. But not always.

"cloud

1. A visible aggregate of minute water droplets and/or ice particles in the atmosphere above the earth's surface.

Cloud differs from fog only in that the latter is, by definition, close (a few meters) to the earth's surface."

(https://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Cloud)

"3.2.5 Cloud

A visible accumulation of minute water droplets and/or ice particles in the atmosphere above the Earth's surface. Cloud differs from ground fog, fog, or ice fog only in that the latter are, by definition, in contact with the Earth's surface."

(National Weather Service, Observing Handbook No. 7)

DCS does not seem to understand that. Modelling of restrictions to visibility such as in clouds and fog would be much more representative if they did. In DCS, sitting on the ground in fog, one can still see surrounding items such as buildings and topographical features that are much further away than the fog visibility value set in the weather settings. If you are sitting in 50 meters visibility in fog, nothing further than 50 meters should be seen, period.

Edited by Goggles
  • Like 1

• ED Team

This is correct as is, please note we have work to do on mist at ground level.

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

This is correct as is, please note we have work to do on mist at ground level.

thanks

Lots of missions that haven't been updated to the new clouds (A lot of the instant action for example) has clouds at ground level, fairly sure this is a bug and not correct as is. Mist may be coming (and that's awesome!) but I'm fairly certain it's a bug as they are clouds (as per the DCS implementation) not mist.

If this is correct as is, how would I go about implementing mist into my missions with the current clouds? Can you just set the cloud value to 0? If I recall it has minimums, but maybe I am not remembering right..

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

2 hours ago, Goggles said:

…Cloud differs from ground fog, fog, or ice fog only in that the latter are, by definition, in contact with the Earth's surface…

So, by definition, fog cannot be a cloud. Thank you. I was wrong.

_____

7 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

cropped-joshua-earle-Dwheufds6kQ-unsplas

Natural occurance...

Unless you classify nature as a glitch.

You are not understanding. Just because a bug happens to emulate real life does not make it suddenly not a bug. While these sort of clouds could be something ED should look into, it is currently unintended behaviour and should be fixed.

Image 1 is the F/A-18C AIM-9X PG Mission - Clouds at 0 feet.

Image 2 is me setting the cloud deck to 0 feet with density 10 in a new mission.

Image 3 is the same F/A-18C AIM-9X PG Mission for comparison.

Old missions have weird behaviour that can only be emulated by opening old missions, you can't reproduce it with a new mission.

Screen_220226_072145.png

Screen_220226_072316.png

Screen_220226_072416.png

Additionally, @Doughguyplease point out those sorts of cloud formations at 0 feet found in the Persian Gulf as opposed to what the mission's obvious original/not-bugged intent was is to be clouds overhead.

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

12 hours ago, Ironhand said:

So, by definition, fog cannot be a cloud. Thank you. I was wrong.

"Cloud differs from ground fog, fog, or ice fog only in that the latter are, by definition, in contact with the Earth's surface… "

If you don't understand what 'only' means, here are some other official definitions:

UK Met Office definition:

"Fog is essentially a cloud at ground level that causes a reduction in visibility to less than 1000 metres."

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/fog

----------------------------------------------------

American Meteorological Society definition:

Fog:

"....Fog differs from cloud only in that the base of fog is at the earth's surface while clouds are above the surface."

https://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Fog

----------------------------------------------------

Royal Meteorological Society definition of fog:

"Fog is literally a cloud on the ground...."

https://www.metlink.org/fieldwork-resource/fog/

-----------------------------------------------------------

Environment Canada's 'Weather and Meteorology - Glossary"

"Fog

A cloud based at the earth's surface, consisting of tiny water droplets, or under very cold conditions, ice crystals or ice fog. It is generally found in calm or low wind conditions. Under foggy conditions, visibility is reduced to less than 1 kilometre."

https://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=B8CD636F-1&def=hide11BFF655E

I hope that clears the fog up a bit.

I’m fine with that. Clouds as high flying fog. Kind of an awkward way to conceptualize it but it works.

My apologies. I’ve been mostly having fun with this. I guess my problem with your initial statement (...“Something a lot of people don't seem to understand. Fog is a cloud that has reached the ground...") and your supporting definitions is that they can make it sound as if fog is a cloud that settles to earth. And, while I have seen that happen from time to time, far more often I’ve seen the reverse. It’s a clear night. The fog develops and, then, rises with the warming morning sun. As it rises, it transforms into clouds overhead that either slowly dissipate or move away on a breeze.

I have also experienced starting out under a cloudy and raining sky, hiking up through the cloud cover to emerge on a ridgeline into bright sunlight and a blanket of white flowing waist high past me—this last is one experience I will never forget. In my lifetime, I've become very familiar with fog and clouds over flat land, the mountains, in the air, and on the sea, what they are and how they form. Like I said, my objection is the suggestion in your initial statement that fog can only be a cloud that has come down to earth.

_____

Another fun thing that happens in the mountains is that you can sometimes walk through a perfectly normal cloud, if the mountains in question are high enough. In a way, it's not that it came down to the ground, the ground came up to it. 🙂 The "fog" and "cloud" distinction becomes somewhat academic once you get high enough.

It's not a bug, but it might be an unintended effect if the mission designed misconfigured the new cloud system, or didn't configure it at all, leading to unexpected behavior. In general, any old mission shouldn't be assumed to be compatible with the new clouds system unless the designed specifically tweaked it to make it so. It's just something the mission makers have to deal with.