Rudder Pedals

BuzzU

I sold my gear when I left last time. So, I need rudder pedals now. If i'm going to concentrate on the Hornet. I'm having a hard time talking myself into good pedals.

Besides taxi, takeoff, and landings. Do you use the rudders much?

Buzz

11 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

I sold my gear when I left last time. So, I need rudder pedals now. If i'm going to concentrate on the Hornet. I'm having a hard time talking myself into good pedals.

Besides taxi, takeoff, and landings. Do you use the rudders much?

In BFM? Constantly...

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

That makes sense and the reason I don't use the rudder. My vision has become so bad I don't dogfight anymore and the reason I stopped flying my favorite WW2 plane the P-51.

I always land and takeoff from the boat and I only need the rudder to taxi there.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Thanks.

Buzz

10 hours ago, Kiseki_Yu said:

Sorry for stupid question. How to use rudder in BFM?

tip the plane one side or the other and then move rudders towards the same direction. drops speed and nose authority. hopefully the adversary cannot follow.

Edited by silverdevil
Typo

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

12 hours ago, Kiseki_Yu said:

Sorry for stupid question. How to use rudder in BFM?

During high AoA maneuvering, the pedals produce tight, rolling turns that enable the Hornet to take advantage of misaligned circles in a fight. It can be used to sort of under cut another fighter's flat turn circle... but often at the cost of altitude. To easily test this capability: Just get the Hornet at or (better) below 300 kts and pull back on the stick, then step on the rudder in either direction and see what happens.

Because the Hornet's twin vertical tails are canted outward, they are not blocked by the fuselage of the jet at high AoA like other fighters... so, when the wing surfaces are no longer effective because of that high AoA, the rudders on the tails are still out there in some airstream to do some good.

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Rudder pedals and rudder control are two very different things. Pedals are not the only way to control your rudder. You can easily use twist stick, or those handles on the back of the TWCS throttles (or other similar contraptions) when you occasionally need to use rudder during ground ops, crosswind landing or BFM. These uses don't need dedicated pedals at all. A well working twist grip is more than suitable. Rudder pedals shine when you either need to use rudder very often (warbirds or analog jets), or you're required to put in pedals continuously (like helos). And even these are perfectly flyable with twist stick, especially if you use rudder trim in helos, it's just somewhat more uncomfortable.

In a Hornet (simulated or real), you only need pedals during ground ops, crosswind landings and BFM, that's it. This is confirmed by GB, who was a real Hornet pilot. 

1 hour ago, WobblyFlops said:

Rudder pedals and rudder control are two very different things. Pedals are not the only way to control your rudder. You can easily use twist stick, or those handles on the back of the TWCS throttles (or other similar contraptions) when you occasionally need to use rudder during ground ops, crosswind landing or BFM. These uses don't need dedicated pedals at all. A well working twist grip is more than suitable. Rudder pedals shine when you either need to use rudder very often (warbirds or analog jets), or you're required to put in pedals continuously (like helos). And even these are perfectly flyable with twist stick, especially if you use rudder trim in helos, it's just somewhat more uncomfortable.

In a Hornet (simulated or real), you only need pedals during ground ops, crosswind landings and BFM, that's it. This is confirmed by GB, who was a real Hornet pilot. 

If this is pointed at me? I use a Warthog HOTAS. I need rudder pedals.

Right now I use a cheap joystick that has a twist z axis. I put it next to the Warthog stick and just use it to taxi and take off on airfields. It's useless for a crosswind landing but we don't have those landing on the boat. On an airfield i'm in trouble.

Buzz

if you are 100% in into flying and want to really enjoy it, then you need high quality gear... you can't cheap your way out of it... IMHO

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I don't fly WW2 anymore. It's hard for me to justify another set of crosswind pedals to just take off and land on the boat.

If you saw my auto racing setup you'd know I don't go cheap. I also don't waste money on something I don't need or use.

DCS is not the only thing I do in life.

• Like 1

Buzz

36 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Right now I use a cheap joystick that has a twist z axis. I put it next to the Warthog stick and just use it to taxi and take off on airfields. It's useless for a crosswind landing but we don't have those landing on the boat. On an airfield i'm in trouble.

Hi.

Try to adapt a wooden piece or an aluminium rod to the "bad "joy, and place it in the ground. Twist grip or X axis, as you feel easyer to botch.

Shouldn 't be very difficult.

Saludos.

Saca111

3 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

how do they use it in ground ops?

vkb t-rudder ftw

Fine gear, reasonably priced, has everything you need for the hornet except brakes which are easy enough to map.  Plus they don't take up a lot of room. 

I don't use em *much* up in the air but they are helpful for lining up on close approach or when tanking up.  Problem with using the stick to make fine yaw adjustments is, you get three planes of movement every time.  Sure you go sideways, but you also lose altitude and then you have to start messing with the throttle... easier to give it just a little bit of rudder and wait a second or two for things to line up.  Also easier to regulate your turns to base and final.  There are times when it's appropriate to be yanking on your stick, and times when it's not, capisce?

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder