how to make altitude hold autopilot work?

lwalter

This is the context in which I try to activate the altitude hold autopilot:

• AP channels on: ALL 4
  • Radio altimeter, Doppler, Vertical gyros 1 & 2 on, Comp system (GREBEN) on
  • vertical speed = 0 or very close to 0
  • Altimeter and radar altimeter both working properly (I'm at about 300 m radar altitude)

When pushing the autopilot altitude hold button, the button moves but doesn't turn on green.

How am I missing something? Is it a known issue?

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

There is a square button labeled “ALT”, this on the top panel with route and hover modes becuase it interfaces with doppler and radar altimeter system. It is a radar altimeter hold that only functions during hover along with hover hold

As Admiki said, the right most circular button on the bottom row is a barometric altitude hold, that will work at all times. It will be disengaged by any throttle movement 

• Thanks 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Thanks!

I understood the difference between the baro and the radar hold buttons, but I didn't know that for radar hold, you had to be in a hover. How is it actually used? I'm asking because if you're already in a hover, aren't you already keeping your radar alt stable?

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

2 hours ago, lwalter said:

Thanks!

I understood the difference between the baro and the radar hold buttons, but I didn't know that for radar hold, you had to be in a hover. How is it actually used? I'm asking because if you're already in a hover, aren't you already keeping your radar alt stable?

Not necessarily hover, it’s tied to when doppler system goes from showing ground speed on drift gauge above 50 kmh to when the hover movement gauge starts working under 50 kmh. 

So like hover hold, it can only be activated at less then 50 kmh ground speed, and I believe also will turn off outside doppler bank/pitch limits but I’m not 100% on that 

I do find it cool to try to trim it to hands off hold exact position with hover and altimeter hold. I’m sure that it was a welcome feature when having to loiter for a while. Hovering attack was taught to German units as way to defend an area 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

16 hours ago, lwalter said:

Thanks!

Most DCS missions you almost get the same thing fine tuning the trim and collective to be in a steady hover or using the HOVER and ALT(radar) AP.

In real life you can have more gusts of winds and turbulence near the ground making the wind push you to the left/right/front/back and even up or down. In that case those AP modes could assist when the pilot is checking the maps, mission plans, tanking selfies or texting.

13 minutes ago, Quati said:

Most DCS missions you almost get the same thing fine tuning the trim and collective to be in a steady hover or using the HOVER and ALT(radar) AP.

In real life you can have more gusts of winds and turbulence near the ground making the wind push you to the left/right/front/back and even up or down. In that case those AP modes could assist when the pilot is checking the maps, mission plans, tanking selfies or texting.

Too bad there is no cup holder, the air con vents throwing ice would be perfect for keeping your drink cool