Lightning FSSB R3 as only stick??

fruityflyer

Hi everyone,

I would possibly touch the F-16 and other modern jets in the future but I was really curious about this base. I mainly fly helicopters, warbirds and basically everything not FBW. Could it be used to fly helicopters, warbirds and others? Has anyone had any experience and tried this flying non FBW aircraft in DCS or other sims? What is it like... Very intrigued to know whether this base could be my only stick. Force sensing looks like quite an interesting and accurate way of doing things in the sim world.

Thanks,

fruityflyer

2022/2/14 AM1点37分,fruityflyer说:

Hi everyone,

I would possibly touch the F-16 and other modern jets in the future but I was really curious about this base. I mainly fly helicopters, warbirds and basically everything not FBW. Could it be used to fly helicopters, warbirds and others? Has anyone had any experience and tried this flying non FBW aircraft in DCS or other sims? What is it like... Very intrigued to know whether this base could be my only stick. Force sensing looks like quite an interesting and accurate way of doing things in the sim world.

Thanks,

fruityflyer

I do not fly helicopters, but I fly f18, f14, and f16. 

I have VKB, Virpil, and Winwing's products, and R3L is definitely an amazing (the best) item which I used. 

As RS says, after testing it you cannot fly without it.

Edited by Kiseki_Yu

For jets it’s hard to beat RS FSSB R3L, but I’m not sure about helos.  I actually prefer a conventional gimbal base with long extension tube for helos but I’m mostly flying jets..

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using FSSBs(R2/R3) for 15 years and never had a problem to fly helos. Actually it's the best for me to fly helos among the bases I've tried including FFB. It doesn't matter whether the aircraft is FBW or not. Even the huey can be controlled flawlessly with the base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Been using/testing it with the Apache off and on.  Seems fine but I can hover around a bit better with my long extension gimbal stick, could just be the technique and familiarity though since I’m still not quite proficient with the helos.  One good thing about this base is the built in trim and trim release options.  As a force sense base it also recenters very quickly once you ease off the pressure.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

It does work as an only stick but personally I prefer the Gunfighter for anything that needs lots of trim (for me, helicopters and WWII). For jets, I prefer the FSSB.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

• 3 weeks later...

Excelent question to ask before buying 👍

I've been using Realsimulators FSSB sticksbases in various versions for the past 18 years as my only stick and for anything FBW there's really nothing that even comes close.
Reason is, in FBW aircraft you use the stick for a single input parameter: Stick deflection (Airbus/Boeing) or sick force (F16 etc.). The flight control laws in the FCCs will then decide wether this input leads to AoA or G-load or pitch rate depending on flight phase, configuration....  Also, in FBW aircraft controll inputs are one-way, meaning you do not get any feedback from the aircraft through the stick.

For converntionally controlled aircraft (cables, pushrods and alike) stick deflection and stick force are not directly correlated and can be used somewhat seperately:
In pitch for example, stick deflection will be proportional to an alpha-demand, while stick force will be proportional to a G-load demand. At least over a wide range of the flight envelope. That's why conventional sticks are better suited for conventional aircraft, even though few people use a proper controll loading system at home. It still gives you that element of deflection in your controll setup.

Helos are even more leaning towards being controlled with deflections rather than force, so I would definitely try out that stick before deciding to keep it. In Europe, you generally have a 14 days return policy on online purchases. If you're unpacking it carefully, you will be able to just get it refunded if you don't like it.

And above all: This is an awesome stick!! You will never be flying with deadzones again, that's for sure.

Cheers,....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

LowBlow has a few 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020