"Special for Joystick" Landing Gear options

TORC

Hello,

F-18 Hornet does not seem to have 'Landing gear up else down' binding in the Special For Joystick menu (in Sim mode, not sure about game mode), does this option exist for the F-18? It is for the F-14 by Heatblur, and helps a lot to bind to controller with only one "engagement" for landing gear switch?

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

It does not exist for the Hornet. It would be easy to create it by adding a simple line of code to the file "efault.lua".

Note: I created this command for several aircraft, but stopped using it. That's because, if you don't have the switch in the right position at mission start, you wil find your fighter dropping on its belly in a mission that starts on the ground, or your landing gear extending in a mission that starts airborne.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thankyou for the information about "default.lua" - if I make the change in this will it cause problems e.g. with joining multiplayer servers?

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

No. Changes to this file pass Integrity Check, no problem at all. I have more than hundred such additions.

I created two lines of code, you decide which one you want to use:

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle 2-Position UP/DOWN'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneGearDown, up = iCommandPlaneGearUp, name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle 2-Position DOWN/UP'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

The first one retracts the gear when the switch transitions to ON and extends it when the switch transitions to OFF.
The second line does the opposite.

When you open the file "default.lua" with Notepad++ you see these lines at the beginning of the file:
default.lua.JPG

The line of code you want to add must be below line 7. I recommend you add it in line 8 so you can easily find it.
Note:
1. The line numbers are not in the file, Notepadd++ adds them in the view.
2. DCS Update or Repair restores the original file. Therefore, save a backup copy of the modified file. If you have multiple modified files it's a good idea to use OvGME to manage updates.

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thankyou very much for all your help! I was having trouble working out how to make the code, yours works perfectly 👍

• 7 months later...

As far as I know, there is still no default landing gear option in "Special for Joystick" which gives the option to bind the landing gear to a ON-OFF Toggle switch.
Fuel Dump switch is missing as well.

Any chance those could be included by default?

Thanks.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

53 minutes ago, Gruman said:

As far as I know, there is still no default landing gear option in "Special for Joystick" which gives the option to bind the landing gear to a ON-OFF Toggle switch.
Fuel Dump switch is missing as well.

Any chance those could be included by default?

Thanks.

ED has added a lot of lines under "special for joystick", but the two items you mention are still not there. Historically, ED has been very slow adding such bindings although these are very low-hanging fruit. For the fuel dump switch I have added this line to "default.lua":

{down = fuel_commands.DumpSw, up = fuel_commands.DumpSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.FUEL_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0, value_up = -1.0, name = _('Fuel Dump Switch 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('Fuel Control Panel')}},

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Thanks. Already using those lines. Just wanted to bump this thread in the hope ED would simply add this in the future 🙂.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard