Xbox and PlayStation Gamepad Layouts | TEDAC-only

Tuuvas

Since a lot of people wanted to have a dedicated console controller for TEDAC-only use, I decided to put together a couple layouts depending on what type of controller you're using.  I designed these layouts based on the following assumptions/restrictions:

• No 3rd Party controller software.  Must be configured within DCS only.
  • Only 1 modifier used.  Otherwise you might as well use my complete control layout for the Apache.
  • Already have a head tracker solution.  There's technically room for Camera Horizontal/Vertical, but I'll let you figure that out.
  • Somewhat replicates the TEDAC controller layout.  It's not perfect obviously as some gamepad-specific optimizations are made

First up is a layout that should work for both Xbox and PlayStation controllers. Note, nothing is bound to the triggers since I assume the Laser Trigger and Weapon Trigger will be buttons.  Not axes.  Even if ED made the Laser/Weapon Triggers axes, it still may not be possible to bind since Xbox triggers share a single axis:

DCSWorld_AH-64D_TEDAC_Only.png

Second up is a layout specifically for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 controllers.  Unlike the Xbox controller above, PS4 and PS5 controllers actually have buttons in their triggers in addition to being axes.  As a result, they can be bound to buttons like Laser Trigger and Weapon Trigger:

DCSWorld_AH-64D_TEDAC_Only_PlayStation.png

The above layouts are based on input from a number of fantastic resources, from @bradmick's already existing controller profiles, to input from a number of SMEs that frequent the ED Discord, and finally Wags' binding video.  I hope this helps you hit the ground running when you finally get access to that CPG seat.

Edited by Tuuvas
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Hey I appreciate your post, I'm using your setups and others to try to figure out what will be best for me.

As for Xbox controllers, you can use joytokey which is free software, and you can bind the axes to replicate keyboard clicks. For example, Right Trigger on Xbox is Axis5<0 and Left Trigger is Axis5>0 in joytokey. You can set that to the default bindings for keyboard. So for the Hind, Right Alt + Space fires weapons, I set that as the key combination in joytokey for Right Trigger.

I feel this is a bit more of a friendly user experience than using the other buttons on the controller for firing. Everything else can be bound normally in game under the xbox controller column in DCS. I knew I wanted to use a controller for the tedac and got a little disheartened when it seemed like I wouldn't actually be able to use the triggers, but this seems like a solid solution.

Edited by Clean

Hi, I am thinking of getting a controller to use as a TEDAC. Am I correct in thinking that DCS will see it as an HID device and I can simply bind the keys within the controls options? 

Of course, using this will require both hands, so I am assuming that it's only useful if you are playing as front seater and the (AI, George)  pilot is actually controlling the ship from the rear...? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

16 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi, I am thinking of getting a controller to use as a TEDAC. Am I correct in thinking that DCS will see it as an HID device and I can simply bind the keys within the controls options? 

Of course, using this will require both hands, so I am assuming that it's only useful if you are playing as front seater and the (AI, George)  pilot is actually controlling the ship from the rear...? 

Back in the day, I added a DS4 controller to use with the limited HOTAS buttons I had... short answer is yes, DCS will recognize the DS4. The extra analog sticks come in very handy too. Worked great for the A-10CII even.

I'm about to reimplement one for the Apache.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• Tuuvas changed the title to Xbox and PlayStation Gamepad Layouts | TEDAC-only

After playing with the gamepad yesterday, a few thoughts.

You need to be able to press lrfd trigger and move the right thumbstick at the same time, otherwise you won't be able to adjust lase point when guiding Hellfires. Likewise, you need to be able to press weapon trigger and move the right thumbstick at the same time in order to aim the gun while firing. So the xbox layout from the first post is not very practical in this regard.

WAS buttons and sight SEL buttons are not that important to have them on the gamepad, as you can use the same HATs on your joystick that you use for the pilot. That frees a few buttons for other functions. Worst case you can put them on a keyboard.

I tried the free AntiMicro software to map the analog triggers to buttons so I can use them as TEDAC triggers in DCS, and it works quite well. Worth a try. 

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Maybe try to add a bit of deadzone for the gamepad thumbstics?

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

After messing around a bit, this is what I settled on.  Seems to work well for me, and I don't have to take the hands off the controller for much more that giving George some commands.

image.png

I've got the A/B/X/Y buttons doing triple duty, based on a regular press, or while holding the "WAS" modifier or "Sight" modifier. 

I have a Snap View saved that is zoomed in tight on the TEDAC and MPDs, so pressing Y executes the same function as R CTRL + NUM 0 (I forget what it's called) to toggle that snap view on and off. Very handy.

Edited by Floyd1212
  • Like 1

10 ore fa, Floyd1212 ha scritto:

After messing around a bit, this is what I settled on.  Seems to work well for me, and I don't have to take the hands off the controller for much more that giving George some commands.

image.png

I've got the A/B/X/Y buttons doing triple duty, based on a regular press, or while holding the "WAS" modifier or "Sight" modifier. 

I have a Snap View saved that is zoomed in tight on the TEDAC and MPDs, so pressing Y executes the same function as R CTRL + NUM 0 (I forget what it's called) to toggle that snap view on and off. Very handy.

How did you solve the axle problem on the triggers?

This software lets you map the gamepad axes to keyboard buttons, which you can then assign to triggers in DCS https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro/releases/tag/2.23

10 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

After messing around a bit, this is what I settled on.

You triggers look reversed, in the Apache the left fires the weapon while the right one is for laser. Doesn't make much difference, although to guide the Hellfire you need to hold the trigger for a while and slew the sensor at the same time, and the real Apache layout lets you do it with one hand.

I'm probably missing something, but in the first couple of diagrams in the OP, for the xbox/ps controllers, there doesn't appear to be any mention of the "First" versions of the two triggers, whereas on the PS specific diagrams, both "first" and "second" triggers are included.  Where would i select the first level triggers on an xbox controller?

11 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

image.png

This is probably the best one yet because of the way you have the modifiers setup (very logical). The only difference I'll make is putting White/Black Hot on Y (since I have VR).

4 hours ago, Greyman said:

I'm probably missing something, but in the first couple of diagrams in the OP, for the xbox/ps controllers, there doesn't appear to be any mention of the "First" versions of the two triggers, whereas on the PS specific diagrams, both "first" and "second" triggers are included.  Where would i select the first level triggers on an xbox controller?

I don't have one but on the Xbox controller, I believe he is referring to the buttons just above the "triggers" on either side (bumpers).

On a PS controller, they are in the same spots labeled L1/L2 & R1/R2 respectively.

knowyour360controller.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

29 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Sorry, I've apparently not been too clear.   

It was the apparent lack of the 'Weapon Trigger First' and the 'LRFD Trigger First' mappings that i was referring to.

Ah, "detents."

--Arthur C Clark

9 minutes ago, Greyman said:

That's the word i was looking for.  🙂

So do i need to find buttons on another controller for the first detents for those two triggers?

nah, just map the 2nd detent on both

TBH, I'm not even sure what the first detents are supposed to do in the Apache, like in the Hog it triggers PAC.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

12 hours ago, fabio.dangelo said:

How did you solve the axle problem on the triggers?

As others have replied, there is software you can use outside of DCS to convert these axis to "buttons" or "keyboard" presses.  In my case, I used Joystick Gremlin to map the left trigger to send the "L" key on the keyboard at 90% squeeze, and the right trigger to the "F" key on the keyboard.  Then in DCS I simply set a keyboard bind for "L" and "F" for those functions.  DCS doesn't realize it's my controller pressing F and L and not my keyboard.

11 hours ago, some1 said:

You triggers look reversed

Yes, that was intentional on my part, but could easily be reversed to suit your taste.  I couldn't wrap my brain around using my left hand to pull the trigger since I have been using my right hand for such things all my life. 🙂  

Edited by Floyd1212

1 hour ago, Floyd1212 said:

As others have replied, there is software you can use outside of DCS to convert these axis to "buttons" or "keyboard" presses.  In my case, I used Joystick Gremlin to map the left trigger to send the "L" key on the keyboard at 90% squeeze, and the right trigger to the "F" key on the keyboard.  Then in DCS I simply set a keyboard bind for "L" and "F" for those functions.  DCS doesn't realize it's my controller pressing F and L and not my keyboard.

Yes, that was intentional on my part, but could easily be reversed to suit your taste.  I couldn't wrap my brain around using my left hand to pull the trigger since I have been using my right hand for such things all my life. 🙂  

Don't you need an analog stick for the LHG and RHG one for slewing cursor and another for MPD?

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark