Xbox and PlayStation Gamepad Layouts | TEDAC-only

Tuuvas

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Don't you need an analog stick for the LHG and RHG one for slewing cursor and another for MPD?

Yes, the XBox controller has two analog sticks you can use for these two functions, in addition to the two triggers.  Unless I'm not understanding your question...

32 minutes ago, Floyd1212 said:

Yes, the XBox controller has two analog sticks you can use for these two functions, in addition to the two triggers.  Unless I'm not understanding your question...

It seemed to me a few users were wanting to use a joystick application to map other key press functions to one of the analog sticks... I was curious why they'd want to do this considering the need for 2 slew ability. Unless a modifier will be implemented.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Ah.  I think the confusion is that the left and right triggers on an XBox controller are analog inputs, so they show up as axis in DCS.  Since DCS won't let you map the "laser" and "weapon trigger" functions to an analog axis, you have to use external software to convert the triggers to buttons presses.  Then you can map them in DCS to functions that require button presses.

Edited by Floyd1212
  • Like 1

How does the PS5 controller work?  Does it show up as a joystick in the DCS and allow you to assign from controls menu?  Or do you need some other software?  Google talks a lot about having to use a Steam plugin (and only works in steam) to have a PS5 controller work in Windows, but also are referencing AAA titles, not DCS. 

I don't own either console, so I would be purchasing a controller just for this and can choose the best suited.  It sounds like the PS5 is a little better function with the buttons in triggers, but I also like the idea of straightforward controller assignment without extra software.

Edited by ESzczesniak

19 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

How does the PS5 controller work?  Does it show up as a joystick in the DCS and allow you to assign from controls menu?  Or do you need some other software?  Google talks a lot about having to use a Steam plugin (and only works in steam) to have a PS5 controller work in Windows, but also are referencing AAA titles, not DCS. 

I don't own either console, so I would be purchasing a controller just for this and can choose the best suited.  It sounds like the PS5 is a little better function with the buttons in triggers, but I also like the idea of straightforward controller assignment without extra software.

I can't speak for the PS5 controller but, the PS Dual Shock 4 only needs to be connected to a PC USB port via mini USB. Then it shows up in DCS controls setup as "Wireless Controller."

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

24 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I can't speak for the PS5 controller but, the PS Dual Shock 4 only needs to be connected to a PC USB port via mini USB. Then it shows up in DCS controls setup as "Wireless Controller."

Thank you!  Obviously I could be wrong, but the articles I was reading referred fairly interchangeably between PS4 and PS5, so I am suspecting they work pretty similar.

13 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Thank you!  Obviously I could be wrong, but the articles I was reading referred fairly interchangeably between PS4 and PS5, so I am suspecting they work pretty similar.

I don't recommend using Steam Big Picture mode for anything controls related.

--Arthur C Clark

11 hours ago, Sr. said:

And if your computer supports Bluetooth or you have a USB Bluetooth adapter, you can ditch the cable completely.  This is what I did with a dual shock ps4 controller.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

2 hours ago, Mistermann said:

And if your computer supports Bluetooth or you have a USB Bluetooth adapter, you can ditch the cable completely.  This is what I did with a dual shock ps4 controller.

I did for a while until my DS4 battery went south. I will say it has been has been shown that input lag is actually less with BT than cable, at least for the DS4.

• Like 2

--Arthur C Clark

AntimicroX had issues when my wireless controller turned off due to inactivity and it prevented it from turning on again. I'm currently using the original antimicro software, it's a bit older but does the same job and has portable version, just unzip, setup the keys and that's it. 

Joystick gremlin is more powerful and complex tool, better choice if you want to do more than just assign two keys to the triggers.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hey all! Just wanted to say thanks for all the love and discussions on this layout and how to setup 3rd party programs to get more out of an xbox/other controllers!  I personally will still design the layouts without 3rd party programs in mind, but I have updated the vanilla layouts based on your feedback!

Take a look at the original post for the updated designs - and thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Has anybody tried using one of the keypads which can be added to the PS or XBox remotes? Something like this one below (made by Numskull). It appears they pair via bluetooth with the console (or via the controller, it's hard to tell), but I'm wondering if they will be able to pair with the PC and be seen as a device in DCS, where we could configure it as our Keyboard Unit.

Anybody tried using one of these? Does it work or not?

If it does, I think it would be pretty neat. I'm already getting a PS5 controller to set up as my TEDAC, as described above. Just wondering if this would be a worthwhile addition.

s-zoom.file

• Like 1

Has anybody tried using one of the keypads which can be added to the PS or XBox remotes? Something like this one below (made by Numskull). It appears they pair via bluetooth with the console (or via the controller, it's hard to tell), but I'm wondering if they will be able to pair with the PC and be seen as a device in DCS, where we could configure it as our Keyboard Unit.
If it does, I think it would be pretty neat. I'm already getting a PS5 controller to set up as my TEDAC, as described above. Just wondering if this would be a worthwhile addition.
s-zoom.file
Oh!!!! That would be awesome if it works.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I don't have such addon but my guess it would work without any problems. Technically it's just a wireless keyboard, it will perform the same actions as your regular one. 

Of course if you buy a bluetooth version then you'll need a bluetooth dongle for your desktop PC, but I see at least some of them come with a dedicated USB 2.4GHz receiver. 

Edited by some1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I have programmed my Xbox controller but I can’t move my TADS. Reviewing Wags and Casmo’s videos I might not selecting the acquisition source correctly. I am traveling but will be home tomorrow. 
I was in the CPG seat and on the TEDAC it said p-hmd. This indicates it was not set to TADS right? There are so many new command/but5on layouts to learn!

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

On 3/28/2022 at 5:03 AM, BobCee123 said:

s-zoom.file

Great... now I gotta learn how to touch-type with my thumbs... 🙂

If you want to free up some key binding by eliminating the George AI buttons...

this is so cool.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

Great... now I gotta learn how to touch-type with my thumbs... 🙂

If you want to free up some key binding by eliminating the George AI buttons...

this is so cool.

Oh, you reminded me to include the George AI menu options in my original design.  I've updated the OP with the latest version which includes George AI menu control.

Excellent OP by the way.

--Arthur C Clark

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I found that the cursor control axis and button conflicts with the ones on the Collective (it will freeze and stop working in the game) so I removed those from the gamepad and made other use of those buttons. Also assigning the right bumper as a second modifier is necessary to get all the TEDAC functions, you can then get three versions of all the buttons.

Linear Motion Compensator needs to be on a left button since your right thumb is on the manual controller stick. 

And although it might be a goal to avoid add-ons, it really is essential to just get Joy2Key and map the triggers to buttons so they can be used. You need all the buttons you can get. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 8 months later...

Anyone had an issue with Joy2key not working with dcs anymore? My bindings for the 2 triggers just stopped working a month or so ago.

Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming WiFi MB | i7-8700k @ 4.9 GHz | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti | 32 GB CORSAIR Vengeance 3000 MHz DDR4 Ram | Corsair H100 Pro Cooler | RaidMax TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD |TM Warthog Hotas w/ F/A-18 Hornet grip | Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | Oculus Rift S

DCS | AV8B | F18C | F-16C | A10C | Mig 29 | F15 | SA-342 | Huey | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Combined Arms