Air brake sound missing

Hiob
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

Is it just me, or is the the F-16 missing a sound for deployed air brakes?

Everything else, engine, wind, alpha... even the afterburner detent is clearly audible.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Well, I obviously never sat in the cockpit of a fighter jet with deployed airbrakes - but it's pretty logical that the disruption of airflow will make a lot of noise. If that can be heard over all the other noises, I can't say. All I know is, in most other modules the airbrakes do make a pretty distinct sound when deployed.

So I'd rather like a statement of somebody who actually knows, if this is a missing feature or an intended lack of sound effect.

This was not intended as an exchange of opinions about realism. Thank you!

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

24 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Well, I obviously never sat in the cockpit of a fighter jet with deployed airbrakes - but it's pretty logical that the disruption of airflow will make a lot of noise. If that can be heard over all the other noises, I can't say. All I know is, in most other modules the airbrakes do make a pretty distinct sound when deployed.

So I'd rather like a statement of somebody who actually knows, if this is a missing feature or an intended lack of sound effect.

350 backseat hours in the Viper... but go ahead....

• Like 2

Just now, Bouli306 said:

350 backseat hours in the Viper... but go ahead....

And how should I know from your statement, that you have RL experience? Am I supposed to research your creds?

6 minutes ago, Hiob said:

And how should I know from your statement, that you have RL experience? Am I supposed to research your creds?

How would you know from any other person who says he has experience? Maybe tone down a bit budy. I was just stating what you hear IRL and that is......NOTHING.

Edited by Bouli306
  • Like 1

My question is answered guys, leave it be.

I felt it was missing (mainly because I'm used to it from other modules probably) and hoped for a definite answer from ED or a known SME.

I have a sufficiant answer now and am perfectly fine with it.

Thank you!

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 3

• ED Team
  • Solution

Checked with the team, this is correct as is. 

thank you

• Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 hours ago, Hiob said:

On AlphaJet, M2000, MF1, Jaguar, C-160 and A400M, airbrake makes no audible sounds in cockpit.

On F-16 I can only guess and trust my F-16 drivers friends who tells me that it is the same.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chibawang said:

I have a related question if you don’t mind. In other sims I thought the speed brake indicator showed different numbers of dots related to the degree of deployment. In DCS it’s two positions only, open or closed. Is this correct?

Correct as-per the flight manual. The Speed Brake Position Indicator technically has 3 positions: Closed, Open, and Diagonals to indicate there is no electrical power to the indicator.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

39 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Correct as-per the flight manual. The Speed Brake Position Indicator technically has 3 positions: Closed, Open, and Diagonals to indicate there is no electrical power to the indicator.

Sure, I’m aware that’s what the flight manual says, but i thought it might be misleading wording and thought I’d ask a guy who’s seen it working. Otherwise it just seems odd to have a rotating indicator with dots, but there may be an explanation for that. 

On 2/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, Hiob said:

Is it just me, or is the the F-16 missing a sound for deployed air brakes?

Everything else, engine, wind, alpha... even the afterburner detent is clearly audible.

you can feel the speedbrake is deployed, when using a jetseat or similar device 👍🏼

1 hour ago, HILOK said:

you can feel the speedbrake is deployed, when using a jetseat or similar device 👍🏼

Yeah, I know. I have a Jetpad. 👍🤗

I'm only using a very limited amount of effects though. But you are right, perhaps I'll add the speedbrake for the Viper.

For those without a jetseat an audible cue, "high drag wind noise," would be valuable even despite its lack of realism. Every other module has exaggerated audio or visual cues for certain things because the fact of the matter is that a 1G chair doesn't allow us to feel squat while "flying."

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 6:49 AM, Nealius said:

Can you feel the deceleration?

Depends.

High speed/low altitude/high air density, yes. Clearly.

Low speed/high altitude/low air density ... almost not or even not at all.

+/- same storry about afterburners.

Edited by Dee-Jay
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

But we have a special option for "loud afterburner," also unrealistic. Not having an option for "loud speedbrakes" would be inconsistent. 

... so you can imagine any kind of possible options. 😉 We could also request options to hear the birds, the trucks, the sea waves, the bullets hinting objects, holywoodian explosions ... etc ...

Immersion is something extremely subjective (and quite often away from hardcore realism) ... it is impossible to please everyone.

You ask about air-brake. Answer is: not audible, sometimes, with no physiological feedback. This is factual.

Speaking about afterburner option is a matter of opinions.  It is not factual and is another discussion.

Kind regards.

Edited by Dee-Jay
  • Like 4

On 2/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, Dee-Jay said:

... so you can imagine any kind of possible options. 😉 We could also request options to hear the birds, the trucks, the sea waves, the bullets hinting objects, holywoodian explosions ... etc ...

Immersion is something extremely subjective (and quite often away from hardcore realism) ... it is impossible to please everyone.

You ask about air-brake. Answer is: not audible, sometimes, with no physiological feedback. This is factual.

Speaking about afterburner option is a matter of opinions.  It is not factual and is another discussion.

Kind regards.

i ejected during a mission in syria. when i was on the ground i could hear the sound of traffic but there was no traffic. i thought the angry denizens were coming after me. thankfully not modelled. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain