How to learn Viggen?

schurem

Hey guys, 

I have had a Viggen in the hangar since.. forever. I played through the training missions a couple times, but I hardly feel mission qualified at all. I know how to boot one up and shoot a missile, c'est tout. What about this mysterious and strange nav/attack system? 

Youtube vids do not work for me. I want to either read and do, or be told in sim ( by person or script).

Thanks for any tips and suggestions. The one Laobi always gives is a good one too 😉

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

There’s a really great knee board suite in the user files, with all of the weapons in it, as well as a checklist.  I’d start there, then run through the in-game training.  Once that’s done, and you have a handle on the basic weapons, start the campaign.  It builds at a great pace to learn the aircraft, and is well done.  The Viggen is a blast to fly/fight!

Chuck's instructions are the best source of information I know about when you need to learn task-oriented. They detail all the activities to be performed, broken down into each of the possible tasks you might want to perform. You want to bombard with a specific type of bomb - you have this and such chapter for that. You want to learn the rules of air combat, you have a different chapter for that. And so on and so forth. With time, you will try to understand the principles of operation of avionics or other technical materials, then the manuals distributed with the module will be helpful, but they are not as convenient for task learning as the Chuck's documents are.

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, schurem said:

Hey guys,

I have had a Viggen in the hangar since.. forever. I played through the training missions a couple times, but I hardly feel mission qualified at all. I know how to boot one up and shoot a missile, c'est tout. What about this mysterious and strange nav/attack system? 

Youtube vids do not work for me. I want to either read and do, or be told in sim ( by person or script).

Thanks for any tips and suggestions. The one Laobi always gives is a good one too 😉

I would recommend the original module manual, that is include in the module. It covers everything in detail. That's how I learned it too.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

I would recommend the original module manual, that is include in the module. It covers everything in detail. That's how I learned it too.

Hello schurem & welcome to the Viggen world!

I also highly recommend using the RC2 manual that comes with the module.
It is a very good manual IMHO. Personally, I like it VERY much!
I think there is no way around reading it in total when you really want to dig into this wonderful beast to get out as much as possible.

Happy landings!
TOViper

Edit: I forgot one thing to say... when the manual states that 3° nose up would be a good take-off trim ... use 5° nose up and everything is fine! :joystick:

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Besides what's already been covered (e.g. YT videos, Chucks, training missions, manual, some user files for the Viggen), as part of my Viggen learning (or rather re-learning) exercise, I created some procedural kneeboards for the Viggen to remind me how to employ some of the weapons - here's my ED post about them, in case you're interested: 

• Like 1