[Mod] Hi-Res Village

GEIST

Started putting together assets for the upcoming AH64 Release. Plan is to build a small city/village where things look a bit more realistic.
I personally do not like the villages/cities on the maps too much. Does look a bit like games from the 2000s. I wish they would spend their time making everything work med-res instead of adding all this super hi-res detail that nobody ever sees. Anyways.

First item is factory. Next I'll try and get some surrounding buildings so it's not quite so lonely.buildingA_wip_01.jpg
The list of things to do is long but I thought I'll start a thread to share the progress and see if anyone has some ideas. cheers

• Like 11

6 hours ago, flanker1 said:

this sounds like a great idea and is looking very good so far! are you doing it for causcaus? it is most necessary there from my point. . .  keep up your amazing work! 

Thanks! The first version will be for the Gulf map. There are large unpopulated areas in the north so it's the perfect area to customize. I am not ruling out a caucasus version if this works as expected, but probably a bit further down the line.

• Thanks 1

buildingA_aerialViewB.jpgbuildingA_aerialViewA.jpg

Having some fun with some 'flyover' screengrabs. Unit placement will be tricky when adding any sort of fields as the ground is not flat. They will always be a bit sunken into - but that's for later to worry about. 😛

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fargo007 said:

Looks good! 

It would be cool if we had some specific buildings that can shoot.  Frequently fire is taken by friendlies from a certain building.  Would be nice to model those scenarios in DCS instead of putting some unit in plain view.

Ah for sure! Had the same idea - I even thought to make a few slightly different so you might be able to spot them if you look really closely. Could be a cool co-op thing to have an F-16/18 high up spotting with a TP and some choppers down below.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lee1hy said:

If the SDK is released to the public, it will be possible to import Google 3D maps using QGIS like MSFS.

That would be the dream! Are there plans to do that? I feel like things got more restricted than before so I wasn't expecting that to happen...

Out of the box the data is way too heavy though (not made for realtime) and would need a bit of processing I believe.

Combining my 2 favourite games into 1 - Sim City and DCS.
Thinking of adding my Majors residence to it which will be indestructable and made out of gold - we'll see.

Blocking out some houses. One thing I realised is that the cities are usually a lot more packed together which is completely missing from dcs. It's like a procedural house placement with default gaps between them which makes it look so odd.

houses.jpg
This is way more exciting that looking at screengrabs of planes right?

Edited by GEIST

• 3 weeks later...

looks very nice, i'm working on more airbase buildings, also Main Gates and all that since they're missing, also looking at Airbases like Andersen, a lot is missing or totally wrong buildings.

Question: Do you exported those models from google maps and did some fine tunning?

Would safe alot of time... probably, of course close up is a bit of a different story

Edited by Ghostrida9
If all real wars could only be fought in DCS.

Looks great! Very interested in your flat field & land textures.

Have always looked at ways to amend the current WWII Normandy map which is currently set up as Post DDay Invasion with most of the Temporary Allied Airfields already set up (DDay + 40) and includes at least 20 of these temporary Airfields. Not really immersive for scenarios in the  build up to DDay & the intense action shortly after!

These flat textures could be quick ways to place over these flat airfields to try hide them. Can delete the current buildings (Hangers etc) with the Mission Editor. Would also need rows of trees to try blend into the current Bocage scenery  Would be a great way of hiding all these Temporary Airfields & slowly unveil them as they were actually constructed to make  a truly Historical Campaign. Thanks for your work & will follow with interest. ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by ggrewe
Added pic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey chaps! Progress is slow but there is progress ... I've been playing around with a base for the nighttime look of the buildings. The current look of a flat white color on the windows at night is a bit dated in my view. The houses here sit at 700+ polygons each so still low-res enough to have lots of them on screen. Still loads of buildings to do but I wanted to get a working preset up and running first.

@limoncino There is no download link yet. Still some way to go before I can aim for a release.

buildings.0002.jpgbuildings.0001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey! It's been a while.

Progress has been really slow on this unfortunately. I've been playing around with the modularity aspect of the town. I am thinking of generating a few blocks that then can be placed, rotated etc to create a more complex layout without having to custom make everything. Not all of the buildings shown here are properly modeled so there is still some way to go but there are only a limited amount of 'modules' here that do create quite some complexity.
I would probably say not going to happen this year - but I am slowly chipping away on it. But also need time to fly 😄

I've am also experimenting with a system to integrate the buildings more with the environment. Currently all buildings have dynamically placed geometries on the rooftops (vents, solarpanels, satelite dishes e.g.) but that same system could be used to place 'clutter' around the buildings as well. I always find it a bit distracting to have the hi-res buildings sitting next to the procedurally generated and completely flat/empty roads. What we need is trash, boxes, clutter etc around these areas as well - I think this could blend them better with the environment. The tech is in place, just needs to be used a bit differently.

modularity.jpg

Edited by GEIST
  • Like 6