A listing of all variants of J-7 and J-8.

PLAAF

1 hour ago, Torbernite said:

Those cockpits unreachable,

How so? Did you take any photos there? If so, please share.  🙂

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

3小时前,PLAAF说:

How so? Did you take any photos there? If so, please share.  🙂

Those planes are surrounded by fence and only thing you can touch is the pitot tube (although will be stopped by patrols) and climb into cockpit is sure to be forbidden.

I have only some photos to show the fins of J-8II today because I have other arrangement and only limited time for the main target.

And @LowRider88 here are the fins. The trailing edge can be seen sweeping forward even from a right front view.

52011379.JPG

52011385.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

1 minute ago, Torbernite said:

Those planes are surrounded by fence and only thing you can touch is the pitot tube (although will be stopped by patrols) and climb into cockpit is sure to be forbidden.

I have only some photos to show the fins of J-8II today because I have other arrangement and only limited time for the main target.

And @LowRider88 here are the fins. The trailing edge can be seen sweeping forward even from a right front view.

52011379.JPG

52011385.JPG

Nice. More please  🙂

• Like 2

qLjvyQ3.png

16分钟前,PLAAF说:

Nice. More please  🙂

Some from left side. The white one is another one at the gate of cave hangar. Also behind the fence and I have no more views. In fact the fence can be set nearer to the gate and the side view would be available. Do you believe these are all view I can get from an aircraft on exhibition? I would give some "fiery suggestions" if I find their suggestion box.😂

52011382.JPG

52011372.JPG

52011383.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Torbernite said:

Some from left side. The white one is another one at the gate of cave hangar. Also behind the fence and I have no more views. In fact the fence can be set nearer to the gate and the side view would be available. Do you believe these are all view I can get from an aircraft on exhibition? I would give some "fiery suggestions" if I find their suggestion box.😂

52011382.JPG

52011372.JPG

52011383.JPG

Nice details. Show us more, please. Give us every single photo you took  🙂

• Like 1

qLjvyQ3.png

3分钟前,PLAAF说:

Nice details. Show us more, please. Give us every single photo you took  🙂

Sorry but only these😭. Others are repeated shots. Most time was spent on trying to find more planes and more views but ended up with finding no more. I have to leave for other affair before taking more. I have some important job this week and I can try to come to take more photos after finishing that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Torbernite said:

14 minutes ago, Torbernite said:

Sorry but only these😭. Others are repeated shots. Most time was spent on trying to find more planes and more views but ended up with finding no more. I have to leave for other affair before taking more. I have some important job this week and I can try to come to take more photos after finishing that.

Do you have a drone? If you do, you can take some photos of their cockpits.   🙂

• Like 2

qLjvyQ3.png

5分钟前,PLAAF说:

Do you have a drone? If you do, you can take some photos of their cockpits.   🙂

Any drone flight is restricted in Beijing and need to be authorized by local ATC in advance. Besides, that museum is managed by air force and have military station beside it so drone is prohibited. Although the low altitude flight may not record much area, I don't think it could be taken into the gate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Torbernite said:

Any drone flight is restricted in Beijing and need to be authorized by local ATC in advance. Besides, that museum is managed by air force and have military station beside it so drone is prohibited. Although the low altitude flight may not record much area, I don't think it could be taken into the gate.

OK, maybe ask the museum manager, ask him/her very very nicely and see if they would let you take a photo. You know what they say, "there is no harm in asking", right?   🙂

• Like 2

qLjvyQ3.png

Another detail of J-8.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1m84y1M78x/

At the beginning of this video, you will see a J-8II (perhaps H or F variant) with the tail fairing cones cut off (the original design has a pair of sharp fairing cones between the two nozzles, similar to MiG-19), leaving two holes there with even no cover. I saw this design on a J-8 (maybe E variant) in the museum. At that moment I thought it was an exhibition lacking maintenance and losing its cone so didn't take a photo.

According to the designer's memoir, the J-8 was encumbered by vibration caused by various factors. Many modifications were implemented to eliminate the vibration during design, test and service. The tail cone is vulnerable to the high temperature of engine jet flow, and sometimes it also causes vibration. In 1990s the air force reported the cones were often heavily cracked. They tried to reduce its length and the vibration became more severe, but when the tail cone was further cut in length and moved forward, conversely the vibration disappeared. Finally in later batch of J-8 and J-8II the tail cone was completely cut off.

Edited by Torbernite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Torbernite said:

Another detail of J-8.

At the beginning of this video, you will see a J-8II (perhaps H or F variant) with the tail fairing cones cut off (the original design has a pair of sharp fairing cones between the two nozzles, similar to MiG-19), leaving two holes there with even no cover. I saw this design on a J-8 (maybe E variant) in the museum. At that moment I thought it was an exhibition lacking maintenance and losing its cone so didn't take a photo.

According to the designer's memoir, the J-8 was encumbered by vibration caused by various factors. Many modifications were implemented to eliminate the vibration during design, test and service. The tail cone is vulnerable to the high temperature of engine jet flow, and sometimes it also causes vibration. In 1990s the air force reported the cones were often heavily cracked. They tried to reduce its length and the vibration became more severe, but when the tail cone was further cut in length and moved forward, conversely the vibration disappeared. Finally in later batch of J-8 and J-8II the tail cone was completely cut off.

Thanks. Do you have any info on J-6III or J-5A? I am really keen to get those. Because those variants are unique, better than the original Soviet counterparts on which they were based on, and they are all retired. So we may get them in DCS in future.

• Like 1

qLjvyQ3.png

6 hours ago, Torbernite said:

52011379.JPG

52011385.JPG

That’s awesome, Thanks Torbernite for taking the photos despite the museum layout difficulties!

I’m jealous, I hope I can also visit later this year and try my hand at taking some pics too.

I remember seeing online some guys posing where they actually climbed up on a Q-5 that was displayed outside with no ropes or chains.   I guess that may have been a different museum not near the military.

Thanks also for focusing on the tail fin.

I see what you mean about the forward slant in this pic.  However the ones you posted below seem to be straight down.  Maybe this pic’s fin is bent to the left?

If it is not too much trouble, apart from the J-6IiI and J-5A pics PLAAF requested, any chance of taking some Q-5 pics also?

Once again, Thanks for your efforts and for sharing!

Keeps me salivating while we patiently wait for the module release 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torbernite said:

Another detail of J-8.

That's a good video of the J-8 flying.

I found another video where it is doing maneuvers.

The quality is low res but it kind of gives a good idea of the J-8's manuveurability:

• Like 1

2小时前,LowRider88说:

That’s awesome, Thanks Torbernite for taking the photos despite the museum layout difficulties!

I’m jealous, I hope I can also visit later this year and try my hand at taking some pics too.

I remember seeing online some guys posing where they actually climbed up on a Q-5 that was displayed outside with no ropes or chains.   I guess that may have been a different museum not near the military.

Thanks also for focusing on the tail fin.

I see what you mean about the forward slant in this pic.  However the ones you posted below seem to be straight down.  Maybe this pic’s fin is bent to the left?

If it is not too much trouble, apart from the J-6IiI and J-5A pics PLAAF requested, any chance of taking some Q-5 pics also?

Once again, Thanks for your efforts and for sharing!

Keeps me salivating while we patiently wait for the module release 🙂

I think those from left side were taking from a different view, closer to the front so the sweeping is less obvious. However the lacking of better view makes it less convincing. If we don't have more planes and more views elsewhere to check, the only hope will be waiting the cave hangar to re-open and the fence for its gate to be removed and we can reach to a correct right side view to end the puzzle.

In fact when the museum re-opened in late 2021 (closed again later in last year) the fence was not set "correctly" so many places should be blocked were actually not. I went there in 2021.12 and there were some Q-5 could be touched but they were not intended to be. At that time I even strayed into unopened area with my friend until soldiers brought us back. Now they were all fenced, but somewhat overdone.

5小时前,PLAAF说:

Thanks. Do you have any info on J-6III or J-5A? I am really keen to get those. Because those variants are unique, better than the original Soviet counterparts on which they were based on, and they are all retired. So we may get them in DCS in future.

Sorry I don't have any special information about them. But after the two memoir I have now I plan to find more. And I will call you if I find any.

Edited by Torbernite
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Torbernite said:

I think those from left side were taking from a different view, closer to the front so the sweeping is less obvious. However the lacking of better view makes it less convincing. If we don't have more planes and more views elsewhere to check, the only hope will be waiting the cave hangar to re-open and the fence for its gate to be removed and we can reach to a correct right side view to end the puzzle.

In fact when the museum re-opened in late 2021 (closed again later in last year) the fence was not set "correctly" so many places should be blocked were actually not. I went there in 2021.12 and there were some Q-5 could be touched but they were not intended to be. At that time I even strayed into unopened area with my friend until soldiers brought us back. Now they were all fenced, but somewhat overdone.

Sorry I don't have any special information about them. But after the two memoir I have now I plan to find more. And I will call you if I find any.

I think you are right.  It may just be the viewing angles.

FlankerFan just posted a high quality vid on another thread which shows a good side view while taking off and I see you may be right about the slight forward sweep of the trailing edge.

Any idea if there are other outside museums with no ropes or chains?

• Like 1

Story of prototype 04.
It's merit on both J-8II and III.

The video had a lot of interesting pictures.

For example:

J3bkMEF.png

I have never seen this cockpit before.

Edited by PLAAF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

qLjvyQ3.png

• 3 months later...

An idea gave birth to the J-8H

In the early J-8II aircraft, the 208 single-pulse radar was used. The action distance of the radar was relatively small and did not match the range of the additional A-aircraft, so it could not fully play the performance of the missile. At the time of Project 82, the United States provided the J-8II aircraft with the APG-66 radar used on the F-16 aircraft, which is more reasonable to match the range of the A-bacter, because
The missile was developed with reference to the "Sparrow" III missile of the United States.

After the suspension of the "August 2 Project", the "August 3 Project" was carried out in China. On the basis of years of pre-research and research, the Ministry of Electronic Industry 14 has developed a 1471 pulse Doppler radar for the J-8III. The main performance indicators are determined with reference to the APG-66 radar. During the development of the radar, Li Ming, as the chief designer of the J-8III, has discussed with 14 experts. Considering that the antenna caliber allowed by the J-8III aircraft is relatively large, the detection performance of the radar should be better under the condition that the transmission power is basically the same. However, 14 experts believe that although the diameter of the antenna is a little larger, there is a gap in the production process level of our flat laminating antenna, and the antenna gain can only be roughly the same. In addition to the antenna, there is also a certain gap in the performance of other devices, so the performance of the 1471 radar can reach the APG-66 radar is quite good.
Around 1995, China began to develop Thunderbolt × air-to-air missiles, equipped with newly developed Thunderbolt × missiles. The detection distance of the 1471 radar seems to be small, which does not match the missile.

Once, when attending the J-10 aircraft work conference in Chengdu, Li Ming found that the radar detection performance developed by 14 J-10 was better than that of 1471 radar. Although the transmission power of the two radars is similar, the antenna caliber of the former is much smaller than that of J-8III. After consulting Vice President Shao, who was in charge of radar development at 14 offices, Li Ming knew that pulse compression technology was used on this kind of radar. This is a digital pulse technology, which is an improvement of the radar signal processing algorithm, mainly software changes, and does not require major changes to the radar itself.

At that time, Li Ming asked Vice President Shao if he could also use pulse compression technology on the 1471 radar to improve its performance. Vice President Shao said, of course.
After returning to the 601 institute, Li Ming found a radar reference book for study and research, and realized that it was a relatively convenient and mature method to use digital pulse technology on the 1471 radar to improve its detection performance.

After confirming that the method was feasible, Li Ming told Yang Fengtian, the deputy chief engineer, of his idea and suggested that he should negotiate with the 14th institute, which would be responsible for improving the 1471 radar, and then carry out flight test verification on the J-8II. If this improvement can be achieved, a practical way to solve the J-8F equipped with Thunderbolt × missiles has been found.

With this idea, Yang Fengtian, deputy general division, together with 14 offices, improved the 1471 radar system and conducted a test flight verification, and the improved radar performance exceeded expectations. Since then, 601 has put forward a proposal to its superiors. Based on the integrated fire control system of the J-8III aircraft, a new aircraft has been developed by improving the radar system. This is the later J-8H, in the J-8 series.

From the J-8 designers biography, google translated.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I found a new video showing J-7G manoeuvres for the celebration of the new year, also as a part of the retirement ceremony for their pilots.  This old bird still looks as gorgeous as ever.

At 2:36 we finally get a glimpse of its cockpit. It looks so cool. I hope Deka make it to the next module after the J-8PP.

Edited by PLAAF
  • Like 3

qLjvyQ3.png

On 12/26/2023 at 2:52 AM, PLAAF said:

I found a new video showing J-7G manoeuvres for the celebration of the new year, also as a part of the retirement ceremony for their pilots.  This old bird still looks as gorgeous as ever.

At 2:36 we finally get a glimpse of its cockpit. It looks so cool. I hope Deka make it to the next module after the J-8PP.

Really neat!

I only recently found out about the late model J-7 and their increased maneuverability. Just how mobile are they? Can they keep up with more modern jets.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, F-2 said:

I only recently found out about the late model J-7 and their increased maneuverability.

o_O? 
Only recently? This thread has been here for years. 😅

5 hours ago, F-2 said:

Just how mobile are they? Can they keep up with more modern jets.

I don't have the exact data. However I once read 2 articles, one stated that  "F-16A has no advantage over the J-7E in a dog fight" and the other one said that "the J-7E is comparable in manoeuvrability and general performance to early versions of F-16A and can make a serious challenge to a modern fighter in a dog fight".

• Like 3

qLjvyQ3.png

6 hours ago, PLAAF said:

o_O? 
Only recently? This thread has been here for years. 😅

I don't have the exact data. However I once read 2 articles, one stated that  "F-16A has no advantage over the J-7E in a dog fight" and the other one said that "the J-7E is comparable in manoeuvrability and general performance to early versions of F-16A and can make a serious challenge to a modern fighter in a dog fight".

Thank you! If I’m honest to date I mostly focused on the J-8 and didn’t think that the J-7 anything more than a mig-21 clone. I only recently discovered how substantially the later models were improved and really have taken a look at them to my surprise.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 2:54 AM, F-2 said:

Thank you! If I’m honest to date I mostly focused on the J-8 and didn’t think that the J-7 anything more than a mig-21 clone. I only recently discovered how substantially the later models were improved and really have taken a look at them to my surprise.

haha, You didn't even bother to read the first post of this thread, did you? 😂

• Like 2

qLjvyQ3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just find this photo. I suspect it may be the cockpit of the original J-7E with its RWR missing. I am not sure.

CZh1vOl.png

Edited by PLAAF
  • Like 2

qLjvyQ3.png