Aim120: home on jam endgame transition

Badlego

Hello Folks,

as the title says i wonder how the transition from the home on jam part to the endgame part of the missile flight is supposed to work for the aim-120. I am talking about a situation without burnthrough at launch, sothat the launching aircraft does not know the range to the target but only the direction.

I know that the HOJ-mode is completely passive and therefore the missile does not need to emit radar signals but just flies towards the jammer. I wonder if the missile even needs to turn on its radar or if it can guide into the target all the way silent. What i experienced so far is that the missile still goes active at a certain distance to the target and that the target only then receives a warning on its RWR. So i wonder how this is possible or if there is a bug, because this also happens when the launching aircraft never burned through and therefore at no point could give position updates to the missile. The missile can only make use of its radar when it is within burnthrough range. For this it needs to keep its emitter on all the time as it does not know when the burnthrough will happen. And this should give the target a missile warning all the time, which is not the case atm.

• Like 1