Can a single Geforce 260 support a 40" LCD?

No probs, I was running 1920x1200 and I think the only real bottleneck was the cpu. I'm now running 4320x900 and while not as fast it is still not bad at all. In fact I am rather impressed with the gtx260

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Temp is sitting at 58 right now, was 67 5 mins ago with 1 screen running windows media player and digital tv, middle monitor these forums and some tv shows coming down the pipe in the right one, 4320x900. It is also a pretty hot and muggy day, the web says its 25c and 82% humidity. Possibly a little optimistic. Doesn't help that this room faces the afternoon sun and if the fan broke down I would be out of here real quick :)

I'll let it settle for a bit then run the game and see what happens, will go get a drink !

Ok 56c it seems to be stable at, ill boot BS.

LOL, just ran BS for 15 minutes and it registered 78c, best not touch:smilewink:

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Heh the fan is actually super quiet because it is still on auto. I was a little concerned myself until I looked it up in google and it seems to be about the going rate. Considering the ambient temperature at the time in here I was actually more then happy.

It doesn't seem to glitch up or give me any problems what so ever. Truth be told I did crank the case extraction and blower fans up to max after that tho :D

Now my 8800gt card when it's fan spun up high was LOUD !!

Cranked the fan up from the default 40%. It's now set at 80% and the noise is far less then the case fans. In fact I would not have noticed except I was listening for it when I applied the settings.

It is now sitting at 43c and ran up around 60c when running bs.

Shouldn't be an issue to run BS with a GTX 260. BS seems more CPU dependant than GPU dependant so you should be ok. Heck, with the prices of GTX 260's right now, you could buy one and wait a few weeks and put another in there for a darn good SLI setup.

Come to think of it, 2 GTX 260's is cheaper than a 4870X2 and has better driver support.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

should be no problem , i use an ATI4850 on my 37" @ 1920x1080 for BS and even with AA /AF fully on i usually sit at 64% GPU usage.. BS is heavily CPU dependent..

the only time it spikes up is when there are a lot of particles on the screen.

Eg. if you go down low to the ground and kick up a lot of dust my GPU usage will go to 89-93% usage.

If you want to use higher res as 25** then you need a DualLink graphic card.

I think the GeForce260 should be DualLink ready.

(DualLink is not the same as Dual-DVI ... You need a "fully used" DVI cable, not the regular ones for DualLink resolutions)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A 40" LCD TV usally uses a Full-HD reselution and this is normally

1920 x 1080 max

Should be really no problem to use a single Geforce 260!

Even if you use Higher settings like over 2000 horizental...

Max Res: 2560 x 1600 @ 240 Hz (at one head)

Below 1920x1200 and the GTX 260 rocks. Much more than that with FSAA added in could be asking for trouble. 2560x1600 would just not be good. A single GTX 280 could potentaily have issues with that resolution depending on the game and levels of FSAA used.

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

Actually I run 4320x900 8xaa 16xaf, tho slightly less pixels then 2560x1600 I must say that fat chick gets along pretty damn fast. Go chunky mama go !:smilewink:

LOL you edited out that fat chick can still run a marathon reference :D

Actually I run 4320x900 8xaa 16xaf, tho slightly less pixels then 2560x1600 I must say that fat chick gets along pretty damn fast. Go chunky mama go !:smilewink:

LOL you edited out that fat chick can still run a marathon reference :D

That is in a cpu dependant game (simulator). Try that resolution in a GPU intensive game with a GTX 260 and it's next stop, fail-city. lol :D

I take it you are running triple monitors. Which monitors are you using?

I didn't know I edited it out. LOL

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

Heh this is the blackshark board, what else would I be talking about ? :)

But seriously it seems to rock for pretty much all I have tried on it. CoD4, EVE, Supreme commander, Racedriver GRID (Car sick central that one but awesome on tripple head). Actually the only thing I can remember that stunk was Crysis.... but hey it's crysis. I only bought it cause it was cheap and the 8800 was struggling so I must say I am more then happy with it.

One thing I have noticed that is odd is that I have seen a few places "Max Res: 2560 x 1600" but it can clearly go up 5040x1050 out a single port.... go figure.

All in all for a cheap ass card it is very sweet.

Heh this is the blackshark board, what else would I be talking about ? :)

But seriously it seems to rock for pretty much all I have tried on it. CoD4, EVE, Supreme commander, Racedriver GRID (Car sick central that one but awesome on tripple head). Actually the only thing I can remember that stunk was Crysis.... but hey it's crysis. I only bought it cause it was cheap and the 8800 was struggling so I must say I am more then happy with it.

One thing I have noticed that is odd is that I have seen a few places "Max Res: 2560 x 1600" but it can clearly go up 5040x1050 out a single port.... go figure.

All in all for a cheap ass card it is very sweet.

Hmm..what kind of performance are you getting at that resolution for Black Shark and COD?

I have been pretty set on a GTX 280 or GTX 295, but maybe I should give GTX 260 aother look. I retrospect, the only games I can think of that is taxing on the videocard would be COD (not really that taxing) and maybe FSX (which I think is more CPU dependant as well, iirc.).

I actually read a review of the XFX GTX 260 "Black Edition" a few moments ago and that 260 was actually within a few frames of the GTX 280 they tested against. Maybe the GTX 260 deserves another look.

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

Yeah I actually went for the 260 over the 280 for the same reason as everything else I buy at the time. Bang for buck. the 260 was $440 for an OC version and the 280 was $799. Those prices won't be relevant to you, in fact probably give you a freaking heart attack but that's what they go for in Australia, around my local at any rate.

At best in optimal conditions the 280 was "up to" 20% faster. Remember that is at best (Also from memory). Look at the prices I have to deal with ($440 is relatively cheap ass compared to $799) and that 20% (But only in ideal conditions) just wasn't worth it and now I gather there is even faster 260's out.

Another thing you have to consider is no matter what card you buy right at this point in time they will all struggle at stupid resolutions depending of coarse on the game and what it's graphical demands are. IE BS V crysis. By themselves at any rate, SLI, tripples and quads are another story.

So in my opinion unless you got cash and you are wanting to blow it insanely or there is a really good deal on (24 inch monitors real cheap and the wrong price on a Matrox TH2g Digital for example:megalol::thumbup::thumbup:) the 260 is defiantly worth a good long look at.

In my situation it will only cost me slightly more to get another one and go SLI then to buy a 280. They will smoke a non SLI 280 and also have redundancy so it's not all over if one burns. So the 280 didn't get much of a look in.

Big buggers tho and they run very hot on default settings, but turn the fan up and no problems.

Can't give you an FPS score in COD4 atm sorry, it uses a hack to enable "surround" gaming and it doesn't seem to want to play ball with me at the moment..

Black shark it is very sweet, In fact I was more then impressed seeing as this tripple setup was more add hock and on the fly and not really planned.

Actually I think I can give you a decent benchmark that will be sorta relevant.

First the stats...

nHancer is set at..

8xAA

16xAF

Texture filtering is on "High Quality"

No speed optimizations. (Trilinear, Anisstropic etc)

Game is set to....

Textures.. HIGH

SCenes... HIGH

CIv Traf.. HIGH

Water... Ziltch, turned it right off but not sure if there is a big improvement from low to nothing. (Im always fiddling)

Vis Range ... Medium.

Heat Blur... On

Shadows... Full

Res ... 4320x900

Aspect 4.8 (4.8 to 1)

Monitors 1camera.

Cockpit res.... 1024

CPU is only a 3ghz dual core E6850 with 4gig of pc800 ram on a p35-ds4 MB so the scripts that activate the second core make a hell of a difference. (Bang for buck again, a year ago this was great value heh)

Ok now check this utube vid out...

It is edited but I actually played it thru once with internal camera, once external, once chase and once fly by view and FRAPS'd them. I then edited in the diferent shots to make something I liked but in total the thing is one suicide mission from start to end. No bits added and none removed, just different angles. It is the first mission in the russion version where you shoot up the US convoys.

It was dropped to 1920x1200 for the movie making (Ultra wide is not good, hard enough to see in that version) but in game I run at...

4320x900 @ 60hz (My monitors wont do the 57hz required for the larger rez).

My FOV is locked at 200, Normal unmodified allows between 20-120 so I am really making it work.

So I will run that track right now... give me a sec..

Ok ran it. I pressed 5 at the start so it is looking straight ahead with a 200 degree FoV as below....(sweet!:thumbup:)

ScreenShot_011.jpg

and this is what fraps benchmark gave me.....

2008-12-22 19:51:10 - dcs

Frames: 14325 - Time: 276601ms - Avg: 51.789 - Min: 35 - Max: 65

That aint bad me thinks. I personaly think the gtx 260's are much better value then the 280's and all in all are no fat chick at a marathon:megalol:

Thanks, Shrubbo!

I ended up going with the Evga GTX 280 SSC. Newegg has is on sale for $399 and it also included a $30 MIR so the price was quite good. I got permission from the wife to buy a second one if I want, but I will probalby wait until prices drop. Hopefully it all works out ok. :)

Thanks again for the info, Shrubbo!

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348