Does IR tracking have issues stuttering above 60FPS?

Is that just a TrackIR problem or all IR trackers? Ive seen many say they lock their frames at 60FPS because of it, set their settings so it never dips below 60 and cap anything above it off.  That means anything with refresh rate of 120 or 144hz would be more than adequate for DCS then correct (just in terms of refresh rate anyway)

I always test things like this (or almost always) when i read them so i again did now.

The FPS rate did go up with about 90% (Syria map, F/A-18 free flight), going from a synced 60 to roughly 110 FPS. All cool.

But then i added TrackIR into the equation and things got quite stuttery when looking sideways when the FPS is not on the monitors refreshrate (or synced) or on an exact division of it (running 120Hz monitor so either 120, 60, or 30).

After seeing the stutter i turned VSync back on, stutter gone, all smooth ride. No questions asked

Something else Ive seen mentioned where certain things work best as 1/3 1/2 or exactly at monitor refresh rate??? Will be using IR tracking

Not sure I understand the whys, but that was making me think 144hz monitor might be best with my not so powerful gtx3060 because 1/2 and 1/3 are 72 and 48fps... If it cant keep up at 72fps then 48 isnt much worse than 60fps most seem to lock theirs at (I start to noticed smoothness degrading noticeably at 25-35 fps based on some benhmarking)

Oh...

You are about to enter a deep rabbit hole.

There are several long and intense discussions to be found on that subject. Just search. In short: Yes, many believe this, others not.

Personally, I think it's not true - first and foremost because I run TrackIR (with G-sync, without V-sync) without any issues on various refresh rates between 60 - 100 fps.

But in a second, there will be a couple of people jumping me and claiming the opposite -  and I won't engage in this discussion again.

My advise would be to test for yourself but don't hope for a definite answer from the forum.

EDIT: Oh, btw, if anything to the whole TrackIR stuttery is true, the common ground would probably be, that 60 Hz (or 120HZ) is the lucky number, because that would be the polling rate of trackir. Going with 48/72/144 will not help you therefore.

I strongly recommend a g-sync capable setup though. Not only in regards to TrackIR.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I would pay good money for a head tracking solution that worked well with variable refresh rates. In my experience TrackIR is only smooth locked 60 fps. I run a G-Sync display with in game V-sync OFF, NVCP V-Sync set to FAST and framerate locked to 60 fps in NVCP. With TrackIR precision mode enabled panning is super smooth. Anytime the framerate dips under 60 fps however I start to see some micro stutter that I find highly annoying. I suppose some people aren't bothered by this by it drives me insane. 

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

On 2/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, bandit648 said:

I would pay good money for a head tracking solution that worked well with variable refresh rates. In my experience TrackIR is only smooth locked 60 fps. I run a G-Sync display with in game V-sync OFF, NVCP V-Sync set to FAST and framerate locked to 60 fps in NVCP. With TrackIR precision mode enabled panning is super smooth. Anytime the framerate dips under 60 fps however I start to see some micro stutter that I find highly annoying. I suppose some people aren't bothered by this by it drives me insane.

Exactly my experience as well. Locking at 120FPS also works if you can keep it that high all the time ofcourse.
The stutter is more and more visible the more you wander from the 60 FPS treshhold. Looking directly in the direction of motion the microstutter isn't really visible but it's mostly visible looking at a 90° angly to the direction of the motion. The faster you move the more visible it will become. The moment you pause TrackIR the microstutter is gone. And no, a G-Sync monitor will NOT help in this case (i have one). 

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!