VMFA(AW)-533 Skin pack - COMING SOON

Chewmann

Well, since I couldn't find any skins for VMFA(AW)-533, the Hawks, I decided to jump into the skin business.  Admittedly, my skills pale in comparison to so many others, but for my first go, I am pretty happy.  There are 2 tail styles I've found doing my research.  One where the squadron ED is on the outboard side of the vertical stab, and the other on the inboard side.  Likewise, there are 2 main text colors. gray and dark blue.  I have made the 4 variances .  But, I also saw what looks like a specialty skin (sort of like a CAG version), so I made both of them too.

I have the shoulder patches on the pilot, though I am trying to figure out how to reduce the size of the squadron one.  More experimenting is needed.

The last item, besides the shoulder patch is the helmet.  IT is a royal PITA.  This may take some time.  Once I am happy with a design, I will post the skins for all to use.

Let me know what you think.  

Gray_Tail1.png

Tail 1, gray text

Gray_Tail2.png

Tail 2, gray text

Blue_Tail1.png

Tail 1, blue text

Blue_Tail2.png

Tail 2, blue text

White_Tail1.png

Tail 1, CAG

White_Tail2.png

Tail 2, CAG

Edited by Chewmann
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Megalax said:

Just use fa-18c.edm from the shapes folder, not one of the LOD .edms. Thats why the pilots helmet is all boxy shaped.

Mega - will do. Thanks!

My other issue is the patch size. How do I reduce its size? I have a .png file with both patches. i reduced the size of them but it didn't change in game. What's the trick?

I had a breakthrough last night.  It seems as though, through the help of @Megalax and a couple of others, I was able to create what I wanted.

Attached are screen captures of the helmet I will include in all 6 skins.  Desert MARPAT cloth lens cover, the squadron shoulder patch in a reduced size (in one of the pics attached), and the helmet with hawks and checkerboards the squadron is known for. The helmet decor is similar to what at least one pilot had in the the unit early in the F/A-18D days.

I am doing a couple last minute checks to make sure the MODEXs work and the skins behave as expected in game. 

I will release them before the end of the weekend.  

Helmet 1.png

Helmet 2.png