Low FPS Low CPU Usage

Hey All,

I have recently been noticing a weird thing happening and I can not explain to myself why.  Basically, my FPS takes a nose dive and I notice lower CPU utilization.  I am hard capped at 50 FPS.

These screen shots are taken west of Batumi in the A-10C ii just cruising along and suddenly it just happened.  It just as quickly recovered...

Low FPS Low CPU usage TGP on

CPU 09 .gif

Normal FPS Normal CPU TGP on

CPU 11 .gif

I first noticed it occurring on The Channel map sitting at High Halden ready for take off in a P-47D.  I was getting either 50 FPS or 25-35 FPS.  I remember seeing the CPU in the teens.  But, the effect was the same with Low FPS and Low CPU.  It seemed that when the CPU went back to normal so did the FPS.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance,

Caldera

• 3 months later...

Surprised you've had no responses to this! Perhaps you could add more info about DCS settings, any overclocks, etc? Folks on here prefer it if you add a little detail to help understand issues.

I'm not claiming to have the answer, but it could be the PC is throttling performance to manage the temps of the GPU. 76 deg C seems slightly higher than my expectation, but I don't have the Ti.

Check in Nvidia CP 3d settings what setting is used for "power management mode". Normally you want to set for max performance, but if it's set for optimal power that may explain what you're experiencing.

If it is set for optimal power, then it's a warning about your temps. Your specs are better than mine, so I would suspect OC or poor cooling is your root problem, but that's pure speculation.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

If the Power Plan doesn't help, try VSYNC OFF both ingame and NVCP.

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

Thanks for your answers guys!

FWIW...

These pictures were taken when I was still running a RTX-2060.  I have since upgraded to a RTX-3080 Ti and also upgraded my PC case.  So the results you see are not what is currently in my signature.

When running my RTX-2060, performance tuning was always on my agenda and I kept track of quite a few things.  In the PC case I had at the time it ran typically at the temperature I show above.

I should repeat the process for the RTX-3080 I guess.  But the performance difference between the two cards was literally like night and day even with the settings I endlessly messed with cranked up the the max.  So I have not bothered.

Caldera