F16 Radar Elevation in TWS re-zeroing

Archaic

11 hours ago, Flappie said:

Since @BIGNEWY and I don't seem to be able to reproduce this issue, I made a short clip using curent Open Beta. Antenna elevation was bound to a physical axis. Can you see the issue happen in my video? If so, when?

Here you bug the target one single time in the whole video (2:00) so here we have only one chance to reproduce the bug, and probably you inadvertently reduced the amount of it because at (1:58) before pressing the TMSup you were moving the antenna like crazy 😄.  and you obtained the lock just because the radar due to its remanence remembered the target position you obtained at 1:44. In fact when you press your TMSup (1:58) the antenna deflect down automatically, leaving the more centered wrong position you were at the moment of press, this leads to a not very big decentering, but probably it happened anyway. Sadly you not tested the gimbals after that moment. 

If you want to try again just don't move so much the antenna around, it's not necessary to reproduce, you can pick the same mission, just put the antenna in the correct position(deflected down in this case) and leave it there when bugging (as the correct way to operate the radar to find that contact), TMSup twice  like you did at 2:00 and then tms down twice to return to the base search state. Then try the gimbals up and down. 

PS. Put the azimuth to A1 or A3, i think nobody would use A6 in tws. Just to stay in the usual "testing" field.

Thanks very much!

I posted this video some time ago in a different bug report topic but here you can see exactly what happens. This is the default freeflight mission, i gain altitude and at the same time i follow the contacts at my 2 oclock with the antenna elevation, moving it down slowly, then at 0:46 i have a negative ~20° degree antenna, then i immediatly bug it. As you can see the antenna when searching was in the correct position and i understand it because it not wobble in a different position when i command the bug.

Then at 0:52 i command unlock, meanwhile the target moved closer and my antenna was following him until its ~30° negative.

Then at 0:58 and following i'm moving my physical axis to the max gimbals, as you can see i've lost ~30° positive. so now my antenna capability is not anymore +60/-60 but +30/-60.
 And the center is not anymore 0° degree, but -30°. i can't demonstrate this last feeling because you have to feel the physical axis center detent to know where is the center. But trust me when you are used to feel that detent, you expect to see your antenna at 0°. For an experienced pilot see it in a different position is quite destabilizing 😄😂

• Thanks 1

Even after your answers, I was still at a loss because I haven't felt the desync you described. And then I read again this comment:

On 6/21/2022 at 12:22 PM, SCPanda said:

I use the Winwing F-16 throttle, which is the replica of the real F-16 throttle. The ANT ELEV rotary dial on my throttle is an absolute axis with a center detent (but not spring loaded like the Hornet throttle), so basically it works the same as the real F-16 ANT ELEV rotary dial. I binded my rotary dial to the radar elevation axis and set it as a slider. No deadzones, curves or anything else. 

BTW, I also tried my old TM TWCS throttle using the rotary dial on the top left of the throttle. Still the same. Definitely not a hardware issue but a game bug.

I then used my Warthog throttle Slider which had a middle 'stuck' position to control antenna elevation, insteaf of a 'smooth' axis. And then I saw the light!!!

Bug reported. 👍

• Thanks 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

11 hours ago, falconzx said:

But trust me when you are used to feel that detent, you expect to see your antenna at 0°. For an experienced pilot see it in a different position is quite destabilizing 😄😂

Precisely! (I had missed your answer, it was on the next page)

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

8 hours ago, Flappie said:

Even after your answers, I was still at a loss because I haven't felt the desync you described. And then I read again this comment:

I then used my Warthog throttle Slider which had a middle 'stuck' position to control antenna elevation, insteaf of a 'smooth' axis. And then I saw the light!!!

Bug reported. 👍

Thx Flappie. Glad my comment helped 🙂