My money for updates

A.F.

Hi, I would like DCS to charge me for system updates.

At the moment it is still like this: for a new map or a new plane ED asks for money, with which they finance the development of the core.
I feel that this prioritizes the development of the aircraft and weapon systems.
If we as users want the development of the game core to go faster - e.g. for VR or AI, then we need to fund ED better.

I don't know - maybe 10 € for each system update?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A.F. said:

So, you want the core game for free, but the updates at 10€ each? Do you realize that dcs is being updated at least once per month?

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Good lord, no. I can't think of how that would work at all. Assuming that they did release one update a month - that's 120€ a year. If I were to buy 3 modules/maps a year (which is likely), ED would actually LOSE money.

And of course, you'd get into all the legal stuff of what constitutes a 'full' update - or are we being charged for minor updates and hotfixes? Should we be charged for updates to the OB or Stable branch? So very many unanswerable questions that would, undoubtedly, set these forums on fire.

Sorry... it's not even worth thinking about. I do think there is a substantial amount of us who would be willing to contribute something to ED on a voluntary basis for more work to be done on the core game. For example, I'd happily contribute to a fund that goes towards creating a new codebase for the sim. But not like this.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

9 hours ago, A.F. said:

At the moment it is still like this: for a new map or a new plane ED asks for money, with which they finance the development of the core.
I feel that this prioritizes the development of the aircraft and weapon systems.
If we as users want the development of the game core to go faster - e.g. for VR or AI, then we need to fund ED better.

I brought up the idea of a "subscription base" for people who want it, and then in exchange pay less for new models, get early access and so on; so ED would have enough funds to fix old bugs and problems, the way they act today is more like a snowball company that will someday collapse.

• Like 2

If you really wish to support them, buy more modules, and when you've bought them all, buy more and give them away or not, so simple anybody can do it.  I've got two computers, but under two different accounts, wouldn't have had too, but did.

• Like 3

not going to happen, it create a super unnecessary  pay wall.

where are you getting info that module income is used to fund the core and not the module's development?

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
10 hours ago, A.F. said:

Hello, 

thank you for the feedback, but we have no plans to change our current system for payment, or to change our development methods. 

We have different teams working on the core, modules and terrains, those devs can only go as fast as they can already, development will always require patience from us all. 

thanks

bignewy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

Even I would say that they should make free of pay the maps they have in multiplayer

They already do that for the owners of the Servers, they don't have to pay for the maps .. but the server clients must own the map.

15 minutes ago, Nodak said:

If you really wish to support them, buy more modules ...

Agree 100% .. I already own every single module and terrain; and 90% of the Campaigns. 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

4 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

They already do that for the owners of the Servers, they don't have to pay for the maps .. but the server clients must own the map.

Useless. We are some friends. Not all have enough money to play with us. Some of us have Syria, but we don't play in it, as not all people have it. At the end some of them that could buy it they say "I am not buying it because there are not missions in that map as we make them in maps we all have" and most of our sorties are in Cacasus, Marianas and Persian Gulf (this one because it is at 50% sometimes)

Not everyone can pay everything of EDs product. I have almost all of DCS but wish I could use more some maps I have bought, in multiplayer. Plane modules don't break the community but maps, I think they do. 

If maps would be free for everyone on multiplayer I for sure would buy them for offline. Specially when that dynamic campaign arrives. Appart from my time to time multiplayer missions in my group, I don't like the open multiplayer servers. I preffer a great single mission well done, and I think most of the people that plays DCS do it in single player (don't know where I read that. Maybe it is wrong).

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Docsnuggles said:

I brought up the idea of a "subscription base" for people who want it, and then in exchange pay less for new models, get early access and so on; so ED would have enough funds to fix old bugs and problems, the way they act today is more like a snowball company that will someday collapse.

DCS isn't the only thing ED produces. Their real bread and butter is government contract work and DCS is almost a passion project, according to those in charge. They're probably just fine with cash.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Japo32 if ED makes maps free in multiplayer , I'd doubt you would bye them offline ? , why dont you bye them offline now , and then there is no issue for you in multiplayer .

• Like 1

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

On 2/17/2022 at 11:06 AM, A.F. said:

If you want to give ED more money its super easy, buy some extra copies of Maps or modules and give them away to other DCS flyers

Its a WIN WIN situation, YOU help ED fund development and other DCS players get FREE stuff

Let me know when you are ready to do this and I can throw you a list of which things I am interested in receiving for free

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 3

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

12 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Plane modules don't break the community but maps, I think they do. 

Why the distinction?  If you have a mission for a group of F-18 Hornets on the Persian Gulf, for example, all of your friends would need both the Hornet and the map.

I also find it hard to believe that someone can have hundreds (even thousands) of dollars to own a PC able to run DCS, but they can't afford a Map on a sale? 🙄

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Why the distinction?  If you have a mission for a group of F-18 Hornets on the Persian Gulf, for example, all of your friends would need both the Hornet and the map.

I also find it hard to believe that someone can have hundreds (even thousands) of dollars to own a PC able to run DCS, but they can't afford a Map on a sale? 🙄

There are people who simply don't want to pay for maps that they don't want. I find it hard to believe that people should have an issue with that, but then I see a comment like this one. Wow. Just wow. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There are people who simply don't want to pay for maps that they don't want. I find it hard to believe that people should have an issue with that

I have no issue with that at all .. wonder why you deducted that.

My point was about Maps dividing the MP community ... but, of course, if you have no interest on flying on a particular map then there is no issue at all, and then you can't say that having to pay for maps is "breaking the community" 🙄

• Like 3

Thanks for the interesting feedback!

Then it is not due to the lack of financial resources. Good to know 😉

I flew again last night 2 1/2 hours and enjoyed it very much!

I like to wait and am looking forward to further developments like leap motion, vulcan etc

On 2/17/2022 at 11:06 AM, A.F. said:

<Checks calendar...>

"Hmmm, not April 1st yet. Was starting to think I'd hibernated."

well.. my friends are that. Friends, and the fun part is play with them together.

Make a map free is like the discussion of playing free games. Companies that make free games can receive a lot of money. Even ED has the Caucasus totally free and the Marianas, while still they sell a lot other products. Specially aircrafts (I suppose, I don't have the numbers). 

This is always a type of conversation that never "arrive" anywhere, but if I could decide something in ED, I would make all the maps for free in multiplayer as said, but with low graphics (for example, not detailled buildings with low textures without grass) but the same runways and mountains to payware and free versions. That way the comunity wouldn't be divided. Something, more or less, as the supercarrier and Stenis. People that wouldn't buy the maps, would see how poor the graphics are and maybe in future they would buy the upgrade map to have it will full details.

Also that could be done with the planes. Free F18c like FC3 without any button and radar as FC3, and the payware model with everything is right now. But in this case they are making the MAC game I believe. In any case if they are happy with their business model, who are we to say them anything? 😉

Money comes easy when all see the product played is made with love and devs support it, and I think ED tries to do that (even with the problems DCS  has)

Edited by Japo32

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

There are people who simply don't want to pay for maps that they don't want. I find it hard to believe that people should have an issue with that, but then I see a comment like this one. Wow. Just wow. 

So don't? 🤷‍♂️ I'm not exactly seeing a lot of servers abandon the Black Sea. Whether it be through subscription or one time purchase, you're paying either way. 

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Japo32 if they made the maps free for everyone and then had different levels of graghics , of whether you payed or not would create the division that everyone is complaining about , Come On , Please have a really good think about it! , They are not buying the Maps now and the Graghics are Really GOOD

Edited by Vector1

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

yes I understand your point of view, Of course there would be a division between those that have bad graphics but free and others with good graphics. But there wouldn't any multiplayer match left without flying because someone don't have the map bought that is something that is happening right now for a long time. Why am I going to buy the new south atlantic map if my friends maybe they will buy it in 2 years when it is at 50% so we can play together? 

The other way, we all would have the maps to play together from minute one, and I would buy for sure all maps to have the great experience with graphics. But as said, this conversation is not going to go anywhere as ED has their plans (and I am glad about it). 

Edited by Japo32

Japo32 , you would bye the South Atlantic Map for your enjoyment , People should worry about theirselves , If their Friends dont want or have no money , they should get a hobby in their price range , it would be stupid to get into something you can't afford , and then expect ED to provide everything free , they want to make money too!

Edited by Vector1