Stop DCS actioning HOTAS settings at start?

imacken

I have a real problem in that whenever I start a mission, DCS recognises the state of my HOTAS switches etc.  For example, if I have forgotten to reset all switches, buttons, DCS will take their existing state and action it. This means that my gear can go up or down when I don't want it to, or my canopy can fly off, etc. etc.

I'm sure this didn't used to happen, and I also thought that is what the 'Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Startup' checkbox option in Settings was for.  Uncheck and DCS doesn't sync with HOTAS.  Doesn't work for me though.

Any ideas?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Do you have conflicting binds? Do you use an external program like RSMapper or vJoy? I always thought that 'Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Startup' did the trick, however I also noticed flaps don't always synchronize. That's why I established the habit of working through a "HOTAS Checklist", so to speak, before pressing the "FLY" button.

@imacken this has been an issue for a while. check this post from 2008. https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/186798-stick-full-left-and-throttle-at-full-power-at-warm-start/

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thanks guys. No conflicting binds or virtual devices.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time.  Well, yes, it does for axes, but not switches.

I guess like @Pocket Kingssays, I'll just have to do a pre-flight check on controls every time!

I'm sure this didn't used to happen with me though.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Gee. I must be doing something right. This never happens to me.

Once I set my axes and buttons, they remain the same.

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I wish I had this "problem". My HOTAS axes are never in synch after starting DCS. I have to remember to make any input on throttle and stick to make it happen before the mission starts. Yes, I have the right checkbox ticked in options.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

You wouldn’t want this problem when on mission start your canopy blows off, or your landing gear goes down in mid-air!

I do use „sync hotas controls“ and I do perform a preflight hotas „checklist“ (unless I‘m distracted 😅)….

The only minor problem I face is that the rudder axis sometimes spawns at maximum deflection though the hardware is centered.

Other than that, the sync seem to work for me.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

i believe this issue only occurs with axis bindings and not buttons. canopy and gear are not axis. perhaps full thrust or full rudder etc. i could be wrong since i do not have the issue either. but i also check all the axis before start. like testing the control surfaces as IRL. 

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

i believe this issue only occurs with axis bindings and not buttons. canopy and gear are not axis. perhaps full thrust or full rudder etc. i could be wrong since i do not have the issue either. but i also check all the axis before start. like testing the control surfaces as IRL. 

As you can see from my earlier posts here, it’s not just axes, as my canopy flies off and my gears go down in mid air!

20 minutes ago, imacken said:

As you can see from my earlier posts here, it’s not just axes, as my canopy flies off and my gears go down in mid air!

oh sorry. i thought you were using these as examples. so a question. when this occurs, is it always the same actions? meaning every time it is canopy blowing off and gear dropping? or is it random actions each time?

1 hour ago, JokerMan said:

I've gotten into the habit of exercising each axis in all directions which I guess is what others above mean when they say 'HOTAS checklist' .

S!

Yes, but also (especially) the landing gear lever and flaps lever. Otherwise, it can happen in that you jam your gear or flaps when you spawn midflight. In some modules your undercarriage may even unlock while you have weight on wheels…(looking at you, Yak)

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

8 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Yes, but also (especially) the landing gear lever and flaps lever. Otherwise, it can happen in that you jam your gear or flaps when you spawn midflight. In some modules your undercarriage may even unlock while you have weight on wheels…(looking at you, Yak)

Good call, I use a Warthog and I make sure my switches are all in the correct position. I dont airstart very often at all  but I have 'sat down' the 109K, (just mention my most recent) on the ground due to the sim reading my switch state and assuming the corresponding configuration. !

S! 

43 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

oh sorry. i thought you were using these as examples. so a question. when this occurs, is it always the same actions? meaning every time it is canopy blowing off and gear dropping? or is it random actions each time?

It’s not random. It’s that DCS takes any buttons that are in an active state, i.e. on, and actions them. So, for example, if your canopy button is in the open state after landing in a previous mission, then if you are in mid air in the next mission, the canopy flies off!