Petrovich AI can't see targets at sunset

KABASAKAL

"Can't move sight yet" means, he can't see anything because he can't use the sight.

You will have to maintain a stable flight attitude for a moment to enable safe work of the sight's gyros. Only then Petrovich will make use of the sight.
Isn't all this mentioned in the manual?

Edited by Rongor

1 hour ago, Rongor said:

"Can't move sight yet" means, he can't see anything because he can't use the sight.

Watch past 0:14 mark. It's a real issue where Petrovich' vision seems to be based on time rather than target visibility.

Untitled-2.png

26 minutes ago, Jun said:

Watch past 0:14 mark. It's a real issue where Petrovich' vision seems to be based on time rather than target visibility.

I did and one can see that you constantly spam the 'search for targets' button, in fractions of a second.

Petro needs time.

Edited by Rongor

That might be true, but even if you wait for tens of seconds he would not find the target. Had similar situations and the range at which petro is able to find them is a lot shorter at sunrise (which is realistic, but not if the pilot is able to see them without any optics). Haven't tested this at sunset yet, but i would guess its the same.

Just did a few tests: (Marianas Map, Anderson AFB, 21.5.16)

08:00 Petro locates target at 7.5 Km

06:00 Petro locates target at 1.6 Km

Edited by Nick_17

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

So this may be a bug, but. As any hunter should know glass doesn't transmit 100% of the light that hits the objective lens. And dawn and dusk are really really hard on optics. It is entirely possible for you be be able to see that something is there with your eyes, and not see it through an optical sight.

40 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

So this may be a bug, but. As any hunter should know glass doesn't transmit 100% of the light that hits the objective lens. And dawn and dusk are really really hard on optics. It is entirely possible for you be be able to see that something is there with your eyes, and not see it through an optical sight.

image.png

I set the same time and date in my second video and looked at raduga periscope and you can clearly see them. But again Petrovich can't see them.

• 1 month later...

Can someone confirm if changes to AI, mentioned in this video, have been implemented yet? They supposed to address AI not engaging in low light conditions. Maybe it's the same thing that affects Petrovich performance...

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

• ED Team
4 hours ago, KABASAKAL said:

These two could be borderline, it is a bit dark and possible to miss, but not impossible.

2 hours ago, Marklar said:

And another track plus a short video.

blind_petr.trk 2.1 MB · 1 download

This is a good one, I think the fact its marked with smoke as well, should make a difference. Thanks. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Can not lock any targets at night time , Lighting in cockpit at night is not good .

With bright lights cancelling out NVGs .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

How is this a bug? Mi-24P doesn’t have FLIR, or LLTV. It’s a periscope, it’s like looking through a camera or a binoculars. If you try CPG, you won’t see anything at night either.

Thats why we have illumination flares. JTAC can also launch illumination. If you want tips on how to best use illumination flares, it’s in Section 1 Part 3 of my weapon employment guide on the main Mi-24P forum section

And the cockpit was simply not built for NVG. We would need a later modification for that. The NVGs it has in game or more of a wishful thinking feature. In real life you probably would never want to use NVG with that cockpit and might be impossible. It probably works way better in game then a NVG set plopped into a real life 1986 Mi-24P would work…..

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

3 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

How is this a bug? Mi-24P doesn’t have FLIR, or LLTV. It’s a periscope, it’s like looking through a camera or a binoculars. If you try CPG, you won’t see anything at night either.

Thats why we have illumination flares. JTAC can also launch illumination. If you want tips on how to best use illumination flares, it’s in Section 1 Part 3 of my weapon employment guide on the main Mi-24P forum section

And the cockpit was simply not built for NVG. We would need a later modification for that. The NVGs it has in game or more of a wishful thinking feature. In real life you probably would never want to use NVG with that cockpit and might be impossible. It probably works way better in game then a NVG set plopped into a real life 1986 Mi-24P would work…..

I think there's 'some' truth to the cockpit issue, but there's also no small amount of hyperbole. NVG's are 100% legal in the USA and have been since they were invented. So are thermals, and both are used here a LOT for hunting.

This of course leads to some 'experimentation.'

I'm pretty sure the dashboard and interior of my Nissan pickup truck was also not optimized for night vision, however I was able to drive it on a dark country road with everything shut off wearing a friend's pvs-14 after some adjustments to fit it up to me. 

What was horrifyingly scary though, is being the passenger in a blacked out vehicle like this with someone else driving. 

Looking at youtube, this is something that is apparently attempted a lot.  Neither of these are mine.

Edited by fargo007

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

This module really needs some fixes...

Nice that we got the AH-64 but i wanna play the HIND as well and my gunner cant even see targets right in front of him during morning time....

4jAaMO4.jpg

d8S3rpW.jpg

really disappointed some modules that make commercially more money get so much attention. While the HIND has been out for such a long time and its still far from complete and has many bugs and needs tuning on loads of fronts.....

• Like 2

g8PjVMw.png

Yeah that screen shot shows it’s just way too dark. Yeah the transition isn’t perfect, but that’s the reason. We all wish ED would make it more subtle, but either way there is no way a periscope will see in the dark no matter how much they improve it. But I am surprised it is as much of a rigid time of day cut off as it is considering how much work went into the rest of Petrovich sporting mechanic.

I would say to make a proper bug report that ED might look into, record a track during dusk/twilight where you can visually see the target clearly with your eyes and through the CPG periscope and Petrovich can’t, and call it “Petrovich issues seeing targets during dusk/twilight.” Becuase just saying “Petrovich can’t see at night,” well that’s obviously not a bug and intended when it’s completely night out, and will never change becuase it is a periscope and not FLIR/LLTV, and the answer is to use illumination flares. 

I haven’t tried the Mi-24 with NVG and all lights off, but there is a very good reason many operators have had to change all the lights in their Mi-24s to LEDs of specific wavelength in order to make them compatible with NVG. The Mi-24PN was the same way, had to have all new LED lights in cockpit in order to fly at night with NVG. I think the any unrealistic tendencies you see with Mi-24 module in DCS and NVG, has more to do with DCS NVG implementation rather then the the optimized Mi-24 cockpit. There’s also no changing that the cockpit was designed to not be able to change brightness of some lighting elements. Becuase it was designed without NVG use in mind 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg