Wind and runway assignment by ATC on Caucasus map

Volator

At Anapa it seems ATC always assigns runway 22 regardless of wind direction up to 3 m/s. At 4 m/s or higher, at respective wind direction, runway 04 will be assigned.

Is that a bug or intentional? At Sochi the same issue appears, but like in real world here it makes sense due to the mountains at the end of runway 06, so even with a tailwind a takeoff in direction 24 is desireable. For Anapa however, I cannot see any particular reason why you would want to take off with a tailwind component. Even more so, a take-off on RWY22 means you take off towards the beaches and hotels, which most probably wouldn't be very desireable with regards to noise, and certainly would not justify a tailwind take-off, so I'd assume this is a bug.

Tracks attached.

Anapa_wind_runway_001.trk Anapa_wind_runway_002.trk Anapa_wind_runway_003.trk Anapa_wind_runway_004.trk Anapa_wind_runway_005.trk Anapa_wind_runway_006.trk

Edited by Pilot Ike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some additional tests at Krymsk, Maykop and Mozdok:

Krymsk, wind 220/3 --> RWY04

Krymsk, wind 220/4 --> RWY22

Maykop, wind 220/3 --> RWY04

Maykop, wind 220/4 --> RWY22

Mozdok, wind 080/3 --> RWY26

Mozdok, wind 080/4 --> RWY08

So it seems every airport has a main runway that is assigned by ATC regardless of wind direction up to 3 m/s. That means in certain wind situations you will always get a tailwind take-off and landing at 3 m/s or less. At 4 m/s the correct runway will  be assigned.

Krymsk_wind_runway_001.trk Krymsk_wind_runway_002.trk Maykop_wind_runway_001.trk Maykop_wind_runway_002.trk Mozdok_wind_runway_001.trk Mozdok_wind_runway_002.trk

Edited by Pilot Ike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Volator changed the title to Wind and runway assignment by ATC on Caucasus map
  • 10 months later...

When I was discovering Caucasus aerodromes, I always went for wind 5 m/s roughly in the opposite direction of the preferred runway for that aerodrome. That reversed most of them, and turned on the right NDBs - or disabled NDBs if they were only on one side. I have the following kneeboard pages from all this testing, I'm not sure how understandable they are without explanation. I also used and tested the information from those great DimOn frequency/aerodromes maps.

Mine are much rougher and are also more focused on L-39 (like the radio channels).

99_01-dcs-virgo-caucasus-aerodromes-rwys.png

99_01-dcs-virgo-caucasus-aerodromes-freq.png

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube