Opinions on the asset pack

upyr1

10 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Since the cost is no issue, I take it you will be joining Callsign 112 and myself in gifting an Assets Pack during the next sale?

Just how many times, must you be told?

How will that solve the multiplayer implementation problem - the only problem the asset pack has?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Well doesn't that explain a few things doesn't it?

What do you think my problem with the asset pack is?

4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Are you joining us in gifting some Assets Packs to support the community?

How will that solve the problem?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 minute ago, Northstar98 said:

Kind of explains a few things doesn't it?

What do you think the problem with the asset pack is?

I don't think there is a problem. It's good content for a very reasonable price.

How will that solve the problem?

Uh-hun...  :glare:

It's all about the price and nothing but the price. The issue from side to side and from top to bottom is the price. You simply don't want to pay. And that's fine. That's your choice.

But let us be ever so clear once more: this is 100% about the money and nothing else.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

5 hours ago, Beirut said:

I don't think there is a problem. It's good content for a very reasonable price.

See my edit: I didn't ask what you think the problem with it is, I asked you what you think my problem with the asset pack is?

I am going to keep asking you this question, until you provide me an answer to it, but don't worry I've given you the answer, in very clear terms, at least 100 times by now - it couldn't be any easier.

It's all about the price and nothing but the price. The issue from side to side and from top to bottom is the price. 

No it isn't, as has been made clear to you far more times than should be necessary, stop lying.

You simply don't want to pay. And that's fine. That's your choice.

Except there's just one teeny tiny problem with that (utterly baseless) assertion...

I OWN THE ASSET PACK!

And I've owned the asset pack for nearly 4 years..

I was happy to pay for the asset pack, and I would happily pay for future asset packs.

It's almost like, the problem has got nothing to do with the asset pack being payware, it's got everything to do with the MP implementation, I don't know what's so difficult about it.

But let us be ever so clear once more: this is 100% about the money and nothing else.

Ding dong, you are wrong.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 1

System:

I didn't ask what you think the problem with it is, I asked you what do you think my problem with the asset pack is?

No, you asked "What do you think the problem with the asset pack is?"

That is a direct quote from your post. I answered.

I OWN THE ASSET PACK!

Good. It's very well put together module.

I was happy to pay for the asset pack, and I would happily pay for future asset packs.

Wonderful.

So you will be joining Callsign112 and me in gifting an Asset Pack and supporting the community and getting some fellow flyers onto the WWII servers?

To explain what @Northstar98is trying to convey, here's a realistic example:

One of the campaigns I want to design for my group is a COIN campaign (actually, it's anti-narco, but who cares). Some of the items the Narcos have are in the WW2 asset pack, such as the quad-50, C-47, the Liberty Ships (being used as a local cargo ships), and some other assets to best show that they're not a national force. Now, since I intend this campaign to be done on Marianas, and I intend to include the Blackhawk mod (since it allows for people who have no modules and are new to helos to join the campaign for free), there should be no issues right? Well, telling someone they'd need to go out and buy the WW2AP ultimately hurts peoples ability to enjoy the missions, and it hurts my ability to make the mission since I'd have to remove the paywalled units in order to allow those without the pack to play.

That's the issue here. As stated before, the people griping are those that have it, and can't share it because other people need it in order for them to participate. And since my group will not under any circumstances force people to buy things they may not want, it conflicts with what I want my group to be. As has been said. It's not about the cost. It's about the fact that adding so much as one rifleman with an M1 on the map instantly prevents people without the pack from joining.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beirut said:

No, you asked "What do you think the problem with the asset pack is?"

And in the post above, I said see my edit, where I made it more clear.

So again, what do you think my issue with the asset pack is?

7 minutes ago, Beirut said:

So you will be joining Callsign112 and me in gifting an Asset Pack and supporting the community and getting some fellow flyers onto the WWII servers?

You know what, if you can actually read my posts, and actually acknowledge what's being said, I just might.

Fingers crossed everyone!

Of course it'll be completely ineffectual and solve exactly nothing, because again, the asset pack being something you pay for isn't the issue, and from my perspective has never been the issue at all.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

And in the post above, I said see my edit, where I made it more clear.

So again, what do you think my issue with the asset pack is?

That it costs $14 and some people don't want to pay for it and you think it interferes with the DCS WWII MP.

You know what, if you can actually read my posts, and actually acknowledge what's being said, I just might.

Of course it'll be completely ineffectual and solve exactly nothing, because again, the asset pack being something you pay for isn't the issue, and from my perspective has never been the issue at all.

That is incorrect. Each Assets Pack gifted means one more potential flyer on the WWII servers that you want more people flying on. Four packs means potentially four more people flying. And as things often work out, if there are more people doing it then more people might also want to do it.

We've got two Assets Packs ready to hand out to support the community. As this issue seems near and dear to you, will you jump in and make it three? 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Beirut:

But here's the thing, I think everyone who says they have no issue with the price... has an issue with the price.

If the Assets Pack was free, like the Marianas map, there would be no discussion. None. If the Assets Pack were .50 cents, there would be very little discussion. Almost none. But as the price rises vertically, the discussion increases exponentially. When we finally hit the actual price that it is, there seems to be very much discussion. And as I have said before, the two loudest guys who absolutely insist that the price is not a problem in the least, also absolutely refuse to join Callsign112 and myself in gifting an Assets Pack.

I think we need to be clear: this is all about the price and nothing else

I don't, because I paid it long, long, ago.

That's why the discussion does usually revolve around the Multiplayer issue, dependencies and not what it costs, or that it is too expensive. It is the fact, that if we see more of these "Asset Packs" as separate paid DLC, that block players from joining servers or play missions it quickly gets messy.

As every other asset, than the WWII stuff is paid for with every module purchase we do, what is the difference, between say, a haystack and a cargo container or an S-60 Flak and a towed Howitzer?

Why can't we just pay for these assets with the module price, as well?

Again, I happily pay $5 more for every module, if it ensures more assets coming to DCS, like decent skins for the soldiers, insurgents, civilian models of people, trucks, cars, planes (even the generic airliner model on the airports as an AI plane instead of C-17/An-26/C-130/KC-135 "stand in" for civilian air traffic would be a great addition). These assets, make it possible for mission designers to create content, without the need to care about which pack, what community mod (Civil Aircraft Mod, Ground Crew Mods, etc.) everyone has or does not have installed.

If you now imagine a newcomer, that is not yet sure, if he wants to invest a couple dozen bucks into a map, asset packs and installing a handful of mods to be able to join their friends preferred server to have a try at the "free to play" DCS Worlds, it may be a bit "discouraging". If you include the payment for the assets into the module price in general, and not for some it's included, for others it's a separate DLC, I don't see the problem.

People who paid for the Asset Pack in the past won't mind and everyone who paid for the existing assets in DCS through the modules, will not stop buying modules.

So what exactly is the benefit of having parts of the DCS World assets excluded and paid separately? I may be missing something, but I can't see what it would be.

• Thanks 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

1 minute ago, shagrat said:

So what exactly is the benefit of having parts of the DCS World assets excluded and paid separately? I may be missing something, but I can't see what it would be.

Money.

DCS gets it and that makes them happy.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Beirut:

We've got two Assets Packs ready to hand out to support the community. As this issue seems near and dear to you, will you jump in and make it three? 

Wouldn't it be better to hand out modules? I mean, do you think someone will join a server to play "Asset Pack"?

If the assets were all(!) paid through module, campaign and map purchases, we won't have this whole discussion.

I may repeat myself: we already(!) pay for the majority of assets in DCS World without a separate price tag, because the price is included into the module, map and campaign purchases and nobody ever complained about that.

• Thanks 1

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just now, shagrat said:

Wouldn't it be better to hand out modules? I mean, do you think someone will join a server to play "Asset Pack"?

If the assets were all(!) paid through module, campaign and map purchases, we won't have this whole discussion.

I may repeat myself: we already(!) pay for the majority of assets in DCS World without a separate price tag, because the price is included into the module, map and campaign purchases and nobody ever complained about that.

I understand your point of view. I do see it. And it's not without merit. But I also see that the problem is small and can be completely remedied for a very reasonable price. 

Module prices, in some cases are high enough. Does anyone want the top tier planes going up in price because of a "module tax"? Though the planes are of excellent quality, they do come with a premium price tag. 

I can't get past the problem being solved simply by spending a small amount of money for content that is worth the price.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Beirut:

Money.

Simple math, a couple dozen WWII Asset Packs on a Sale for $14 versus $5 from every module, $3 from every map, 1$ from every campaign sold in the future, what makes more money?

And while you may find not everyone buys the WWII Asset Pack, as it isn't much used outside the couple WWII servers, as you can't be sure everyone has it, everyone joining a server or playing a campaign has at least paid for a module.

I simply think the included price model is beneficial for ED and the community at the same time.

• Like 2

Shagrat

4 hours ago, Beirut said:

That it costs $14 and some people don't want to pay for it and you think it interferes with the DCS WWII MP.

Ooh, that last part was so close...

4 hours ago, Beirut said:

That is incorrect. Each Assets Pack gifted means one more potential flyer on the WWII servers that you want more people flying on. Four packs means potentially four more people flying. And as things often work out, if there are more people doing it then more people might also want to do it.

So, like I said, it would be completely ineffectual at solving the problem, and as good as ineffectual at best.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

vor 3 Minuten schrieb NineLine:

Guys, nothing is changing with the Asset pack anytime soon, so I would ask that you all not fight too hard with each other. Thanks.

Let's say heated discussion. 😉

I just can't wrap my head around, why 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Beirut:

I understand your point of view. I do see it. And it's not without merit. But I also see that the problem is small and can be completely remedied for a very reasonable price. 

Module prices, in some cases are high enough. Does anyone want the top tier planes going up in price because of a "module tax"? Though the planes are of excellent quality, they do come with a premium price tag. 

I can't get past the problem being solved simply by spending a small amount of money for content that is worth the price.

You are aware you already pay for all(!) the content in DCS World with the module price? So the price tag is "high", because you don't have to buy the "next content extension" to play, like other titles usually do.

You get a lot more from an AH-64D Apache, than just a premium DCS study level Apache Simulation.

That's why I would prefer to pay a moderate bit more for each module, if that money would flow into the development of additional assets that work on every map for everyone and give mission designers more options and assets to enrich DCS for everyone.

• Like 1

Shagrat

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

If it has nothing to do with the price, then please join Callsign112 and I in gifting an Assets Pack during the next sale.

Since it has nothing to do with price, there is no point in wasting money on some irrelevant side-show that has nothing to do with the topic at hand and which does not solve or even address the problem.

I already have far more relevant and vastly more significant outlays that actually make a difference to the players, provide content rather than simple decoration, and improve participation on top of making ED real long-term money.

It's very nice of you to give away modules (although it's not really fully supporting ED), but ultimately it's a minuscule measure that does nothing. Rather than raffling them out, I would also suggest you find people who actively and expressly want and need it for whatever reason.

38 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Money.

Indeed, ED get it. That's why they have never reused the same restrictive design and have instead gone for a solution more in line with what we're suggesting in order to avoid the problem we're describing.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

29 minutes ago, shagrat said:

Simple math, a couple dozen WWII Asset Packs on a Sale for $14 versus $5 from every module, $3 from every map, 1$ from every campaign sold in the future, what makes more money?

And while you may find not everyone buys the WWII Asset Pack, as it isn't much used outside the couple WWII servers, as you can't be sure everyone has it, everyone joining a server or playing a campaign has at least paid for a module.

I simply think the included price model is beneficial for ED and the community at the same time.

Simple economics and pricing elasticity of demand. Increase the costs of the modules and you risk a decrease in sales that reduces overall revenue.

My guess is that most customers neither play multiplayer nor belong to groups who make missions and campaigns for each other. Now the fact we have both multiplayer and enthusiast community groups is of great value but it isn't the generator of income that enables ED to do what they do.

I sympathise with the issues raised but ultimately I think EDs revenue stream from single player customers will be a far bigger driver in determining pricing strategy than is being accounted for. DCS is a niche enthusiast product, that comes at a cost and multiplayer is a niche within that which probably isn't core to the success of the product so that potentially comes with niche within a niche associated costs.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Beirut:

Since the cost is no issue, I take it you will be joining Callsign 112 and myself in gifting an Assets Pack during the next sale?

Unless you gift an Asset Pack to each and everyone who plays DCS or will play DCS in the future, the problem remains: how can I ensure, when designing a mission, that all people potentially joining that mission have said Asset Pack?

Wait, I can't...

So my current solution is to check in the mission editor before saving any mission I plan to use in Multiplayer for any occurance of "required" modules/Asset Packs and eliminate these objects from my mission, or replace them with objects that I paid for with buying modules, so I can be sure they are available to everyone.

As I rarely create missions for myself I find myself often, wondering what I could create with barbed wire fences, barricades, haystacks, towed Howitzers etc., but why bother, if in the end I can't be sure everyone can simply join the mission and enjoy it.

Would we pay for the assets like with all the other assets, it would not be an issue and ED still gets paid... Honestly, even more and long term, than the occasional sales or people funding gifts.

Even better they could likely invest more money into developing more assets with the additional money and that would in turn benefit the creation of paid content aka campaigns or interesting missions for Multiplayer servers that attract new people through the free to play program...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shagrat

vor 24 Minuten schrieb Baldrick33:

Simple economics and pricing elasticity of demand. Increase the costs of the modules and you risk a decrease in sales that reduces overall revenue.

My guess is that most customers neither play multiplayer nor belong to groups who make missions and campaigns for each other. Now the fact we have both multiplayer and enthusiast community groups is of great value but it isn't the generator of income that enables ED to do what they do.

I sympathise with the issues raised but ultimately I think EDs revenue stream from single player customers will be a far bigger driver in determining pricing strategy than is being accounted for. DCS is a niche enthusiast product, that comes at a cost and multiplayer is a niche within that which probably isn't core to the success of the product so that potentially comes with niche within a niche associated costs.

You really think a price increase of say $1 per Module and Map would make people not buy a module?

As I said multiple times, we already(!) pay for the in-game assets with every module, map, or campaign purchase. Only we don't know if we pay $1, $5 or $14 from a $80 Study level A-10C II, F-16C, F/A-18C or the AH-64D, we just assume it's for the "module", but we pay for the aircraft simulated, code maintenance/bug fixing, development of things like new weather effects (clouds), better IR system representation, enhancing bomb fuzing and... wait for it: assets that come with DCS. So the only difference between normal payment of modules we buy and having bought the WWII Asset Pack is, I know exactly what I paid for the Asset Pack on release. Interestingly, I didn't pay for the additional new WWII Assets, or, well, I did through the Modules I bought in the last years, and so did anybody else who bought a module, map or campaign, he just doesn't see the money allocated to asset development, be it modern or WWII. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shagrat

1 hour ago, shagrat said:

6 minutes ago, shagrat said:

You really think a price increase of say $1 per Module and Map would make people not buy a module?

I responded to your "simple math" quote above. Regardless only ED will have the data of sales of modules vs price and can ascertain optimum pricing levels. It is basic economics and we can only speculate how elastic or inelastic the demand vs pricing curve looks. The only guaranteed statement is what we might think is beneficial to ED's revenue stream may not be reflect the economic reality, however we think it is simple math!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

In general, the assets pack was a huge waste of money to me. It's just garbage. And in view of recent world events, I am tossing DCS. As far as I am concerned, anything out of Russia can go <profanity> itself! PERIOD!!!!! You people should be ashamed of yourselves letting this keep going on. 

Some of us know that things are bigger than us, our entertainment and caring whether people want us in their circle. Until you people start pushing back against your Piece of <profanity> leader, I'm out.....PERIOD! It's the right thing to do. 

• Thanks 2

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Baldrick33:

I responded to your "simple math" quote above. Regardless only ED will have the data of sales of modules vs price and can ascertain optimum pricing levels. It is basic economics and we can only speculate how elastic or inelastic the demand vs pricing curve looks. The only guaranteed statement is what we might think is beneficial to ED's revenue stream may not be reflect the economic reality, however we think it is simple math!

That is why I pointed out the fact, we already do pay for the assets... With each and every purchase we make.

Including the new WWII Assets that we pay through our purchases. So what is the difference, other than a price tag on the Asset Pack versus the way we pay for most of the assets anyway? I don't get the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shagrat

7 minutes ago, shagrat said:

That is why I pointed out the fact, we already do pay for the assets... With each and every purchase we make.

Including the new WWII Assets that we pay through our purchases. So what is the difference, other than a price tag on the Asset Pack versus the way we pay for most of the assets anyway? I don't get the difference.

Without access to sales data I couldn’t say. If we assume the WW2 stuff sells in lower volumes then the asset development has lower revenue for investment and needs further revenue which if incorporated into the modules would further reduce sales so is sold as an option to those prepared to pay. Pure speculation on my part but that is what this thread is all about which is kind of my point 🙂

• Like 1