Rocket video

Dannyvandelft

31 minutes ago, LastRifleRound said:

The part I don't understand is you say NAV sets the range, but also where you're looking sets the range. These both can't be true.

They are not, you chose your range source - Nav (distance from waypoint), Auto (radar altitude + LOS angle), manual (as set i.e. 1500m), TADS/Coop (CPG locks and lases target ?) or radar lock (just guessing at this one). Obviously you don't use all five at once as they'd likely give different ranges i.e. the waypoint isn't near the target.

In Wags first video (IIRC) he used Nav (distance from WP02) for his first attack run and the TADS/Coop (via George) for his second run.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Yep. The way I understand it, is in NAV it's like a targeting pod slaved to a steerpoint. So all you have to do is look at the target, and get a solution where the I-beam is solid and in line with the target.
In COOP the CPG is targeting and ranging, like manually steering a targeting pod onto a target, like a point track,, and now you have to put the I-beam on the target, and when it's solid, you can fire.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

The part I don't understand is you say NAV sets the range, but also where you're looking sets the range. These both can't be true.

Where you’re looking sets the Line of Sight; up and down / left and right. But this is only in 2D dimensions. The P-HMD los cross doesn’t know how high you are or what altitude the target is. The range source sets/solves this third bit which is the elevation of the target at the point the LOS intersects the ground. The system then knows the true slant range.  

Edited by AvroLanc

Does the auto-ranging use simple trigonometry using look angle and radar altitude, thus potentially being wrong if target is at a different elevation than the ground beneath the helicopter, or does it use some fancy digital terrain model to correct for elevation change?

Wow brings back all those good o'memory from the Jane's day...

One question, I don't understand why the "I" marker flings all the way to the left of view, when the "head" turns left, like towards the end of the 2nd rocket video? I suppose it should have remained on the right.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Wow brings back all those good o'memory from the Jane's day...
One question, I don't understand why the "I" marker flings all the way to the left of view, when the "head" turns left, like towards the end of the 2nd rocket video? I suppose it should have remained on the right.
No. The I-beam is letting you know which way to turn the aircraft. If you target something on the left with your head, the I-beam moves left to tell you to turn left to line up the rocket pods with the target.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like some of the George AI menu symbology is out of the bag. Looks a lot like the Petrovich symbology. Not sure how I feel about that, but it's not great. You need to direct George to "look" and then press a button for him to acquire a target. Which seems to work fine for rocket attacks in Coop mode I guess. I really hope he doesn't get turned into a barely automated targeting pod (and one where "I" have to be the one directing "him" onto targets, instead of the other way around. 

I am ranting a bit. I guess I shouldn't be, the Apache is meant to be flown with another person. With the Hind I can manage, as Petrovich really doesn't do that much, but I don't think this will be possible with anything other than really simple tasks for George in the Apache. 

Sorry for the rant, it's just that a RL friend of mine who I used to fly with in the Hind had to take an aeronautical tech job in France and won't be able to fly in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Looks like some of the George AI menu symbology is out of the bag. Looks a lot like the Petrovich symbology. Not sure how I feel about that, but it's not great. You need to direct George to "look" and then press a button for him to acquire a target. Which seems to work fine for rocket attacks in Coop mode I guess. I really hope he doesn't get turned into a barely automated targeting pod (and one where "I" have to be the one directing "him" onto targets, instead of the other way around. 

I am ranting a bit. I guess I shouldn't be, the Apache is meant to be flown with another person. With the Hind I can manage, as Petrovich really doesn't do that much, but I don't think this will be possible with anything other than really simple tasks for George in the Apache. 

Sorry for the rant, it's just that a RL friend of mine who I used to fly with in the Hind had to take an aeronautical tech job in France and won't be able to fly in the foreseeable future. 

Asked a similar question here: 

For the amount of interest/answers it's gathered....good luck......

It seems the only way to operate realistically, is going to be multi-crew. It's a good job 90% of the player base is SP.....

7 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

So think of it like this, the nav range sets your 0 range, and as you tilt your head up and down, it either subtracts or adds range. So say your 1.4Km from the nav range target, if you set your head on the cued LOS the rockets are ranged for 1.4KM, if you tilt your head up to +200m it will add that to the nav range, so 1.4 (Navrange) + 200m (Head tilt) = 1.6km ranging. So if rockets fall short on the first run you can add range by tilting your head up.

@Wags would it be possible for you to share which pedals you are using in the DCS AH64D? Most importantly are they spring based (i.e. return to center) or not? Thank you. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

@Wags would it be possible for you to share which pedals you are using in the DCS AH64D? Most importantly are they spring based (i.e. return to center) or not? Thank you. 

last time i saw a picture of our beloved wags he was in a wheel chair so i guess he doesnt use pedals at all. last time he was asked about this he had stated he uses this: Produktbild

https://www.galaxus.de/im/Files/1/4/6/6/6/0/3/1/81ya9G3XEgL._SL1500_.jpg?impolicy=ProductTileImage&resizeWidth=390&resizeHeight=291&cropWidth=390&cropHeight=291

I use that.  The t16000 stick twists so I use that for rudder and I have the brake axis assigned to the right paddle.  I was able to configure the paddle axis to be 0 from full left to center and 0-100 from center to full right using the Target software.  0-0-100 instead of 0-50-100.  Thataway my brakes aren't on-off switches.

Very cool and useful setup at a fraction of what some of the HOTAS setups cost and I think it'd work well for the Apache if I buy it.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 minutes ago, Ironious said:

What was that noise at the end of the video?

A blade strike i.e. Wags likely hit a tree branch.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

15 hours ago, 1stBEAST said:

last time i saw a picture of our beloved wags he was in a wheel chair so i guess he doesnt use pedals at all. last time he was asked about this he had stated he uses this: Produktbild

https://www.galaxus.de/im/Files/1/4/6/6/6/0/3/1/81ya9G3XEgL._SL1500_.jpg?impolicy=ProductTileImage&resizeWidth=390&resizeHeight=291&cropWidth=390&cropHeight=291

Do these have a return to center spring? 

Yes.

• Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 2/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, Ironious said:

Expensive tree trimmer. Heard those rotors were 80K a pop. Probably more now.

https://youtu.be/sAwq0R8PLHc

😁

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

16 hours ago, Sandman1330 said:

Still wonder what the punishement was for this crew...

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg