Items for consideration in building the Pacific theater in DCS

Charlie Foxtrot

In my humble opinion DCS should consider the following for development of the WWII Pacific Theater:

The obvious is AI aircraft for mission building and target fodder. Specifically the Zero (obviously) and the Betty bomber to start. Of course these could be developed into flyable modules down the road.  With the pending release of the Corsair, pilots itching for a fight will want targets to shoot.  And while using a reskinned FW190 is a good option, the damage it could take vs the Zero was quite different. If there is a way to tune the damage model of the 190 to more closely match the Japanese aircraft of the time would be a nice touch.

I would think it a good thing to plan maps, and theater area for those that were established during the historical time period of highest combat activity between US and Japanese forces. For example, the Corsair entered the battle space in late 1942 just prior to the completion of the Guadalcanal campaign and was initially land based due to difficulty with carrier qualifications.

The WWII Assets Pack could mirror the equipment of the time period as well.

I confess my study of the war creates some bias in this area. As I stated previously, I'm offering my humble opinion.

Thank you DCS for any consideration of these points.  Thank you also for a great simulator!  Keep up the good work!!!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For me I would like to see a AI version of 1944 KI 84 they built 3400 all time and 1909 during 1944 alone.    It is Japan Army aircraft with top speed around 427 MPH .     I would love to see a Japanese Third party content creator.    Info  Per Wikipedia,   

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

• 3 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 10:00 PM, gryper said:

I think a map of this area would be awesome. Lots of air combat went on here.

Map.JPG

For DCS that’s a vast map area. Approx 1000x2000mi

There is lots of ocean though and no major cities. I have doubts about performance over the PNG mountain jungle though. Lots of trees…

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2022 at 5:40 PM, Mogster said:

For DCS that’s a vast map area. Approx 1000x2000mi

There is lots of ocean though and no major cities. I have doubts about performance over the PNG mountain jungle though. Lots of trees…

Yeah, perhaps just the Solomons, or a portion of them.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

If the map can go from guadalcanal to rabaul, that would be best and allow full missions built to take off and land from the japanese side to allow full utilisation of the zero and the betty and as well as not to be just an american centric sim. IL2’s guadalcanal map stretched from guadalcanal to buka, allowing at least some missions to be built that allowed one to fully play the japanese side. Although the missions still required the betty bombers to spawn and despawn in the air as rabaul was off the left edge of the map. And in IL2, different maps covering different time periods for airfield and cultural changes allowed for progression from 1942-1944 in the sim. Covering the surrounding waters would also be good because there were carrier battles, eastern solomons and santa cruz, that can then be fully simulated. So if a map that stretches from henderson to kavieng can be made, that would be awesome.

• Like 2