Winwing Hotas Orion

t_hedlund

One of my big goals for 2022, is to be able to AAR, I don't really care what plane. I have been practicing, I usually spend about 20 minutes every other day working on it in the Hornet. My biggest problem seems to be making the micro adjustments when I'm closer to the tanker. Anyhow, I was wondering if the other Winwing Orion users are using any curves? I really haven't messed with them at all since I started using the Orion. 

Thanks for any help. 

www.tomhedlund.com

Modules: A-10C, A-10CII. F-16, AV8B, F-5E, F-14, F/A-18C, P-51, BF-109, F-86, FC3, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mig-15, Mig-21, YAK-52, L-39.

Maps: NTTR, PG, Normandy. Syria...

Others: Super Carrier, WWII Asset Pack

Nope.  Personal preference, but I like a nice linear response for my joystick and throttle.  A better than base level (i.e. Warthog, WinWing, Virpil etc) HOTAS really helps with AAR (especially having a more precise throttle).  Stick with it.  Once you get it down it's probably one of the most fun and rewarding things you can do (except on the bad AAR day's you'll still have where you'll want to pick up both your throttle and joystick and throw them through your screen 🤬😉)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for re-enforcing the curve free lifestyle. I have gotten so close, at least 8 times, just can't seem to make it happen. I feel like I'm fighting it too much, I will try and fly it more with my fingers. I never messed with the tension on the throttle, and in my last flight I noticed that there is a little portion (1/8) of the throttle throw that it goes too loose. So I wonder how much that could be messing with me, as it is right where I spent most of the time while, now I have to find that little allen wrench.

Thanks again

www.tomhedlund.com

Modules: A-10C, A-10CII. F-16, AV8B, F-5E, F-14, F/A-18C, P-51, BF-109, F-86, FC3, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mig-15, Mig-21, YAK-52, L-39.

Maps: NTTR, PG, Normandy. Syria...

Others: Super Carrier, WWII Asset Pack

Hang in there.  If you're fighting it, sounds like you're starting to PIO (pilot induced oscillation -- rapid up/down porpoising).  As soon as you start to do that, stop, back off and try again.  You can fight that but you won't ever win.  Back off, stabilize and go back in.

I don't think there's any way to swoop in and grab the basket in one motion.  I use several steps

1.  Fly in formation off the tanker's left wing. 

2.  Slide into pre-contact position and make the call.  (Voice attack is worth the price of admission, just for this call)

3.  Get stable right behind the basket, like almost close enough to touch it.

4.  Then ease forward to hook up. (At this point you don't have to look at the basket, and probably shouldn't)

Don't forget step 1.  Learn how to fly in formation before you try to hook up.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 4 months later...

I hope you figured it out yet but something was missing I believe :

DO NOT look directly at the basket

Pick a reference cue on the tanker itself.

I personnaly like to use the refuel pod for that, and depending on the plane, I fly to put it where I want.

Always use your peripheral vision to control where the probe and the basket are ; maybe a quick flash eye control.

With practice you'll know your visual cue and you'll be able to fly much more smoother.

Just remember to not fly by looking directly at the basket 🙂

In fact it's ok to use basket as reference but only if you are skilled enough in formation flight. I see some skilled virtual aerobatic guys also doing this way. The "correct" way is to stay in formation several meters behind the basket in correct alignment and push a little to contact during which only do minimal or no correction, and try to reach correct alignment before pushing instead. Don't force to contact if the offset is beyond your skill to correct, step back and align again.

The difficulty is that too close reference often causes frequent over-correction and it seems to be the problem hedlund met. In this situation a farther reference on pod, tanker wing, engine or somewhere else should be used instead until you can recognize and correct slight offsets.

The most important moment in my AAR practice is the day when I "realized" what's the point of correct alignment. That's difficult on a 2D screen without direct sense of distance but one day you may find a special reference point of your own, or even no clear point but just a "sense". Usually I would use rough sense or basket reference on most receiver aircrafts, and wing, pod or engine reference on JF-17 and AV-8B, for their probe position is hard to see and harder to recognize the lateral offset when contact on 2D screen.

• Like 2

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

You can put too much pressure on yourself and you tense up. That just makes it harder. Tell yourself it's not that important and you don't care if you get it or not. Relax and fly smooth. It will get easier the more you practice but there's no rush. Relax.

Buzz

Learn to fly close in formation, if you can't, AAR will be almost impossible.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir