HTS does not update position of emitters

TobiasA

The HTS does not update the position of emitters if PGM2 is reached, but the position is off several miles. I tested with an airborne start in a training mission.

grafik.png
I am sorry for the Syria map in the replay, but this was the way in which I could reproduce it.
I originally tested something for a multiplayer mission, and was hoping to reproduce another issue "while I am on it".

However, I placed one SA-10 site and approached it while the HTS was active. And as you can see, I am overflying one of the positions, it is marked with PGM2 1.9NM while it clearly is not, and the BB is behind me, but RWR indication is from the front. It is one site, approximately at the one steerpoint I have, but its three radars are in the line of sight of the initial contact but the range doesn't get better even if you fly 90° of the original position or even overfly the site and come from the other side.
It simply doesn't update anymore. I was carrying a jammer, but it was switched off.

It is easily reproducable.

I hope this helps. Thanks a lot!

SA-10_HTS_no_update.trk

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

Thanks for the tracks we are checking this, can you tell me if you see the same on Caucasus terrain? 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 7 Stunden schrieb BIGNEWY:

Thanks for the tracks we are checking this, can you tell me if you see the same on Caucasus terrain? 

Yes, I did copy the units over to a caucasus map, forgot about the terrain height, almost crashed but can see the same effect here.
Note that the position of the "10" seems to get updated once in a while, but the BB and CS won't. I guess this is due to those never going inactive, they probably don't get updated anymore if precision does not change. I even tried rebuilding the position by messing around with the thread classes (all off- only 1/2) but it didn't change anything.

The name is purely due to the fact that I extracted those units out off a mission that had a skynet script, but the test mission does not so I only have the units (and I only copy-pasted the units in the mission editor)- I wanted to test the HTS vs SA-10 with a rookie in our squad and this is easier in isolated environments.

I had a similar mission yesterday but ingressed at high altitude on an SA-6 and the HTS was on point, same with some SA-15s near the SA-6. It might be related to the BB / CS of the SA-10 and the fact that they never go offline, combined with the low level ingress that gives a low precision in range.
The attached track should show the effect (sorry for the timelapse and the -1.6G though). The "10" gets updated as the fire control radar goes offline between shots as it seems, the BB and CS symbols seem to not move even if you circle around them and they are emitting.

And a big thank you for not letting me spawn below the ground 🙂

SA-10_HTS_no_update_Caucasus.trk

Edited by TobiasA
Typo

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2022 at 5:25 AM, BIGNEWY said:

having the exact same problem in syria SA-5 gammon launched at me and the HAD system said it was behind me the only SA-5 in that mission was 40 miles plus. Also noticed possible problems with the PGM status its saying PGM1 and when I fire the missile it goes nowhere near the target(yes it is in range).For example I fired at a search radar 20ish miles away with PGM1 but went 10 miles and dove into the dirt. it was a vey SAM heavy environment though abt 26 SAM systems in the bottom half of syria.

Edited by SnakeEyes

:joystick: oops

Modules I own: F-16CM, F/A-18C Lot 20, Supercarrier, Persian Gulf, FC3<bleh

Am 26.3.2022 um 04:06 schrieb SnakeEyes:

having the exact same problem in syria SA-5 gammon launched at me and the HAD system said it was behind me the only SA-5 in that mission was 40 miles plus. Also noticed possible problems with the PGM status its saying PGM1 and when I fire the missile it goes nowhere near the target(yes it is in range).For example I fired at a search radar 20ish miles away with PGM1 but went 10 miles and dove into the dirt. it was a vey SAM heavy environment though abt 26 SAM systems in the bottom half of syria.

Did you start in the air?

And did you fly low level? 

It seems to be very noticeable in these two conditions, especially low altitude. I think they never get updated but the first throw is more precise from high altitude. 

9 hours ago, Moonshine said:

sometimes emitters seem to show up as PGM1 right off the bat when turning the HTS on. meanwhile they are nowhere near that location plus it will never update the PGM1 tracked location at all.

I noticed this yesterday as well (unfortunately no track). Had a bunch show up immediately as PGM1 even though the ellipsoid was still really large and it never got smaller. They also never seem to time out and go green either.

Am 23.2.2022 um 12:25 schrieb BIGNEWY:

I got two tracks, but it's too large too attach. I will try to do it in two posts. Did some more tests against an SA-11 which does have less range and more emitters.
The first track shows the tracks not being updated, but the pod is already equipped when the player enters the slot and the jet is already running. I am not sure about that, really, because in the second track, the pod behaves a bit different, the SAM site behaves a bit different... But anyhow, I don't see a single update and the first SA-11 pops up as PGM1 right from the start.
The second track is a cold start. The HTS is equipped when the jet is entered, I do a quick and ugly cold start, power up the HTS and use it.
The first throw is pretty rough, it also is not PGM1 right from the start and the emitters are somewhat more distributed, not only in the distance axis but also in the azimuth axis. After messing with the site a bit, the emitters chance their position slightly, and after my first HARM launch they get updated and show a pretty accurate picture. They also go green if the emitter is not received.

I think it is related to the cold start versus starting with the HTS when the jet is already powered on (or probably also rearming and fitting the HTS, didn't try that). I can't prove it 100% but it looks like that. That would also explain why I have never noticed that on any of the multiplayer missions in our group, but can easily reproduce it in a training mission.

F-16_HTS_nok.trk

Track No 2- zipped size is 4.7Mb 😅

F-16_HTS_ok_later.zip

On 3/27/2022 at 2:59 AM, TobiasA said:

Did you start in the air?

And did you fly low level? 

It seems to be very noticeable in these two conditions, especially low altitude. I think they never get updated but the first throw is more precise from high altitude. 

nah i actually started from the ground at ramat david

• Like 1

:joystick: oops

Modules I own: F-16CM, F/A-18C Lot 20, Supercarrier, Persian Gulf, FC3<bleh