Animated Hook/Helmet Hanger

dali

Actually, I like them, but they're moving in sync. That would be annoying for long flights.

And, I've realized in today's video; They don't seem to be affected by gravity, yet. 😄

image.png

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

19 minutes ago, Devrim said:

Actually, I like them, but they're moving in sync. That would be annoying for long flights.

And, I've realized in today's video; They don't seem to be affected by gravity, yet. 😄

image.png

But if you're pulling some G in your turn isn't that gravity?  Isn't that what G kinda means.  If you loop an aircraft at 1 G the whole pull wouldn't water stay in your stationary cup?

• Like 2

Yes, you're right and I completely understand all what you said but if you carefully look at the movement of the hook while aircraft turning, it isn't affected by the turn either. While existence of that G, the hook's movement pattern must be changed by that force.

As we all know that's not big deal. ED just pushes us to see those details. 😄

Maybe it will be simulated, later.

Edited by Devrim

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

Well it should not significantly move left or right in a turn, unless it's heavily uncoordinated. I mean you can have a drink on an airliner and it won't spill when it banks either.

But I hope the things slide back when pulling the nose up enough, and ideally we should be able to boop them with VR hands, just like we can stop the fan in the Hind.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yes, overall, since they are there, they should act like a real hook, right? 😄😄

Someone: "Hey, this is not a hook simulator."
You're right, mate. 🙂

27 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

What is it used for in the game?  Or, just make the simulation looks like real? 

nobody knows yet 😉

I wonder, will the hook slide back along its rail if you point the nose up 🤔

😁

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Just now, sirrah said:

I wonder, will the hook slide back along its rail if you point the nose up 🤔

😁

I hadn't thought about that! And if we get to pretty much an inverse state... it should flip the other way entirely. I believe this is how gravity works, based on some home experiments.

I wonder if there are any other little surprises in the cockpit... A ham sandwich, perhaps?

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Deear ED, please just give us the ability to turn it off/on. As OP said, it's driving some of us ( me inlcued) crazy. In the Hind you can turn the fan on and off, and the hook looks like you could take it off IRL too. 
It would be nice of that would be an option

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BenArchangel said:

Deear ED, please just give us the ability to turn it off/on. As OP said, it's driving some of us ( me inlcued) crazy. In the Hind you can turn the fan on and off, and the hook looks like you could take it off IRL too. 
It would be nice of that would be an option

Wow, it already drives you nuts only by looking at Wags video? 😲

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

4 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

I wonder if there are any other little surprises in the cockpit... A ham sandwich, perhaps?

a can of soda and chips... while playing the video game... ha..ha... 

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

8 hours ago, sirrah said:

Wow, it already drives you nuts only by looking at Wags video? 😲

Yes it does drive us insane just from the video its so not needed for the simulation and does nothing and no one knows why it's there

Modules: AV-8b, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24p, Uh-1hF-18c, F-16c, F-15c, F-14bF-5e, A-10cII, Mig-21bis, Mig-19, L-39za, Jf-17, M-2000c, FC3, Su-25t

Key: Professional - Learned - Barely FlyLearning - Never Touched

• ED Team
30 minutes ago, CharlieZ said:

Yes it does drive us insane just from the video its so not needed for the simulation and does nothing and no one knows why it's there

I imagine they put it there as a prop for authenticity. Hooks of various types are often placed on the upper left cockpit handle as a method of hanging the crewmember helmets.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

5 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I imagine they put it there as a prop for authenticity. Hooks of various types are often placed on the upper left cockpit handle as a method of hanging the crewmember helmets.

Good point!!

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

ok, if they would move according laws of physics, then I would swallow that. But as this is only perpetual and limited animation with no connection to attitude of the aircraft, it makes it painful to watch and is annoying for that reason. If they want reality, then make the cockpit shake constatnly... If intention was suspension of disbelief, they failed. sorry.. 🙂

not to mention practical impact - our brain tends to concentrate more on moving objects....so even when looking straight, that moving hook is going to draw attention of the eyes and brain. I imagine that that hook is somehow  fixed or taken down during flight? I can't imagine myself in position to be able to fly with that damn thing dangling at the side LOL

Edited by dali

On 2/22/2022 at 4:42 AM, Eldur said:

Well it should not significantly move left or right in a turn, unless it's heavily uncoordinated. I mean you can have a drink on an airliner and it won't spill when it banks either.

But I hope the things slide back when pulling the nose up enough, and ideally we should be able to boop them with VR hands, just like we can stop the fan in the Hind.

Bob Hoover pouring a glass of tea comes to mind.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, dali said:

If they want reality, then make the cockpit shake constatnly.

I imagine that that hook is somehow  fixed or taken down during flight?

The AH-64 cockpit does not shake constantly. It's usually pretty smooth. Occassionally you will get one with a rough track that will rattle the canopy door, but it's the exception.

Normally the hooks just stay in place when present. Never bothered anyone except some maintenance test pilots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 2/24/2022 at 2:36 AM, dali said:

ok, if they would move according laws of physics, then I would swallow that. But as this is only perpetual and limited animation with no connection to attitude of the aircraft, it makes it painful to watch and is annoying for that reason. If they want reality, then make the cockpit shake constatnly... If intention was suspension of disbelief, they failed. sorry.. 🙂

not to mention practical impact - our brain tends to concentrate more on moving objects....so even when looking straight, that moving hook is going to draw attention of the eyes and brain. I imagine that that hook is somehow  fixed or taken down during flight? I can't imagine myself in position to be able to fly with that damn thing dangling at the side LOL

Calm downn, Its not noticeable but ants are holding it up and shaking it, All ED has to do is debug it😉.  Its stupid I know

I guess in real life I'd ignore them pretty quickly but in pancake mode I would like to have the option to disable/remove them, honestly.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022