Cold start F16 in VR….. How?

bilbosmeggins

Mapping some keys to the HOTAS helps. Are you using any HOTAS? If so, which one?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

17 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

Mapping some keys to the HOTAS helps. Are you using any HOTAS? If so, which one?

That is what I did with the Hornet. Had a couple switches in the back that would be very difficult to get to that I mapped to buttons on my throttle.

Works a champ.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

A few options:

I lean forward a little then turn around, which gets me a better angle on a lot of the controls.

If you have your 'reset view' key bound, you could try looking in the opposite direction, then resetting your view so that forward is offset to one side while you deal with the controls.

You could also look at VRNeckSafer, which lets you magnify your view angle.

If you have a midi controller lying around, they are often illuminated so you can see the buttons glancing under the G2.

Works really well for me to map all sorts of buttons that would be wasted on the HOTAS

• Like 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

1 hour ago, bilbosmeggins said:

So,  an awful lot of the startup procedure in the F16 requires me to swivel round like an owl on a turntable. It’s almost impossible with my current setup. Are there any tips, or tricks to make it a viable exercise? I have a G2, and am not using the VR controllers, just the mouse.

LOL owl on a turntable is what I feel like as well. I am sitting in a racing sim rig, so moving and looking behind is kinda awkward and hard.

Here is my procedure. I have the 'base reset' button mapped in DCS. Once in the plane I move my head forward, press he reset button, then move comfortably back. At this stage the buttons that used to be behind me are more or less on my sides and in easy reach. Once I am done pushing them all, I just reset the base again in the original position.

• Like 2

I have always wanted to do a modifier button just to bind stuff like that but never got around to it. I mainly do BFM / dogfighting so I got out of touch with cold starts… so sad and terrible, old but not lazy.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

8 hours ago, winghunter said:

If you have a midi controller lying around, they are often illuminated so you can see the buttons glancing under the G2.

Works really well for me to map all sorts of buttons that would be wasted on the HOTAS

No, I don’t have anything like that. Plus, I want to keep my clutter down as much as possible. I have my HOTAS setup, plus a spare USB number pad. But I try to memorise as much stuff as I can so I can re-enact scenes from the Life of Stevie Wonder without coming out of VR.

6 hours ago, Burt said:

I have always wanted to do a modifier button just to bind stuff like that but never got around to it. I mainly do BFM / dogfighting so I got out of touch with cold starts… so sad and terrible, old but not lazy.

I used T.Flight 4 and now T16K combo. Since there are always insufficient buttons to use, so the Button 2 on the TWS as the "mod" button. On the F-14, I even have a binding "mod" + "lever" for the flaps! 😛

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

8 hours ago, Sens0r said:

LOL owl on a turntable is what I feel like as well. I am sitting in a racing sim rig, so moving and looking behind is kinda awkward and hard.

Here is my procedure. I have the 'base reset' button mapped in DCS. Once in the plane I move my head forward, press he reset button, then move comfortably back. At this stage the buttons that used to be behind me are more or less on my sides and in easy reach. Once I am done pushing them all, I just reset the base again in the original position.

I’ve done this with other games. God knows why I didn’t try it in this instance. Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

I used to use Voice Attack back when I had a T16K, it was pretty slick.  Still use it for comms but prefer to map switches to the throttle base now that I have one

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

13 minutes ago, bilbosmeggins said:

I have Voice Attack too. I need to stop being so lazy, and implement it properly. I’ve got a feeling I bought ViaComm too, but was probably overwhelmed by it’s sheer scope.

Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack is da bomb!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

10 hours ago, dburne said:

Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack is da bomb!

For the most part. Chief is kinda dense. "wheel trucks?" Wheel CHOCKS!" "Wheel socks?" I just want to climb out of the jet, take my helmet off and look the guy in the eye. Wtf is a wheel sock?  Seriously. I want to know. 

But when you hear "rrrrrogerball" it makes it all worthwhile don't it

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

23 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

For the most part. Chief is kinda dense. "wheel trucks?" Wheel CHOCKS!" "Wheel socks?" I just want to climb out of the jet, take my helmet off and look the guy in the eye. Wtf is a wheel sock?  Seriously. I want to know. 

But when you hear "rrrrrogerball" it makes it all worthwhile don't it

Lol I don't have any problem with the Chief so far.

Don B

On Cold start ups for the switches in corners I actually turn the opposite way a little and recenter the vr, then turn back and they are closer to the front of me.

Yea its weird but it works.  I have recenter just on a button.

Edited by Chimplicker

21 minutes ago, Chimplicker said:

On Cold start ups for the switches in corners I actually turn the opposite way a little and recenter the vr, then turn back and they are closer to the front of me.

Yea its weird but it works.  I have recenter just on a button.

That’s what I was doing yesterday. Look out of the right window, click recentre, then fiddle with switches on the left 🙂