Any planes with small MB file size ?

swaps

Hi all,

Looks like I have vastly underestimated what is needed to play this sim. after downloading the game I only have around 100mb let on my ssd. I can remove the 2 free planes to another hard drive but not sure how much space that will get me back. Is there a competitive Jet that I can use that is not going to stall in dogfights like the free one does but is a small file size ? SSD's are not cheap and I see some jets are 1500MB. I want to dog fight but putting in a massive SSD for 1 plane is expensive.

11 minutes ago, swaps said:

SSD's are not cheap and I see some jets are 1500MB. I want to dog fight but putting in a massive SSD for 1 plane is expensive.

you have no option, as even if you manage to put a real fighter in the game (the free one is an attack aircraft, no dogfighter), too little space will make the game update process to fail (and DCs is updated monthly on average).

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

For DCS and a few terrains and planes you should calculate around 250 GB. To have sufficient reserves for future updates I recommend to get a 500 GB SSD.

My DCS (open beta) installation needs currently 297 GB disk space (installed aircrafts, maps and tech watch my singature).

Here's a list of the needed space by planes:

• A-10C: 1,44 GB
  • A-10C II: 1,76 GB
  • AH-64D*: 1,40 GB
  • F-14A/B*: 3,83 GB
  • F-16C*: 1,12 GB
  • F/A-18C*: 893 MB
  • FC3: 1,39 GB
  • Ka-50: 998 MB
  • P-51D: 596 MB
  • UH-1H: 630 MB

* Early Access (required disk space is growing with each update)

Edited by AstonMartinDBS
  • Like 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

1 hour ago, AstonMartinDBS said:

For DCS and a few terrains and planes you should calculate around 250 GB. To have sufficient reserves for future updates I recommend to get a 500 GB SSD.

My DCS (open beta) installation needs currently 297 GB disk space (installed aircrafts, maps and tech watch my singature).

Here's a list of the needed space by planes:

• A-10C: 1,44 GB
  • A-10C II: 1,76 GB
  • F-14A/B*: 3,83 GB
  • F-16C*: 1,12 GB
  • F/A-18C*: 893 MB
  • FC3: 1,39 GB
  • Ka-50: 998 MB
  • P-51D: 596 MB
  • UH-1H: 630 MB

* Early Access (required disk space is growing with each update)

Can it be run across 2 SSD ?

3 minutes ago, swaps said:

Maybe not from DCS's perspective. But you can always trick any application into being installed multiple places by using symbolic links in Windows.

Also if it's your primary drive that has only 100mb free, then I think you're going to have bigger problems. Maybe run a disk cleanup and delete old copies of Windows update files.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

26 minutes ago, swaps said:

Yes, using symbolic links, though aircraft are pretty small and maps take up the most space i.e. Caucasus=15GB, Mariana=13GB (with the largest Syria=60GB)

Here I'm using symlinks to put most of DCS's maps on a second 1TB SSD so they don't fill up my 1TB NVMe root drive

Using SymLinks to place DCS maps on a second SSD.JPG

IIRC you want leave at least 10-25% free space on each drive for performance and longevity

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks, Just been looking at cheap 2TB sata ssd on ebay. Will try and find some reviews. if they are what they say they are I will order one.

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

Maybe not from DCS's perspective. But you can always trick any application into being installed multiple places by using symbolic links in Windows.

Also if it's your primary drive that has only 100mb free, then I think you're going to have bigger problems. Maybe run a disk cleanup and delete old copies of Windows update files.

Yes I only have one ssd and its 250mb, this holds my windows 10. can really clean up apart from remove 1 game and not sure who big that is.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the game on one drive (D) but the saved games (user files) on C.  Works ok.  SSD drives are fairly cheap, a TB runs about what a plane runs (unless there is a sale on).

It is WELL worth having the space on a TB drive to locate the game.  It really does make a HUGE difference in game operation and play

6 hours ago, cthulhu68 said:

Your SSD upgrade also becomes a RAM upgrade since you can use storage space to increase page file size.

While pagefile is needed and keep you trouble free sometimes, it is not at all replacement for RAM. It is slow and is not used in the same way system wise.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria