Scripted "cockpit interaction" problem

jonsky7
Go to solution Solved by jonsky7,

Hi,

I was trying to make a mission that had a sort of automated/AI Navigator, my idea was that at some point at the start the Navigator would set up the Direction finding radio.

The problem is that when you are occupying the pilot seat, some switches/controls are not available to you, eg the power switches for the Navigation radio, and the navigation radio itself. 

This also carries over when you try to script these actions in the mission editor, the actions are not completing because I am in the pilot seat.

I would like to see at least the scripted actions being able to complete without changing seats, possible?

Thanks 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reflected said:

I had this problem too, so I dropped the idea of an automated navigator.

This might help.

As I did most of my aviating on multi-crew aircraft, I rather like using verbal commands to get something done.

Voice Attack is perfect for this.

For example, the VA command line  to Nigel my navigator …

When I say:         [Nav; Nigel; ] [You can; ] turn on the [radios; radio power]

… has 12 permutations, as  the semicolon and space acts as a blank so the command accepts any of the bracketed words or nothing at all. Anything from “turn on the radios” to “Nigel, you can turn on the radio power” as well as the other combinations will be accepted, so I don’t have to remember an exact phrase for the command.

I had to assign some keystrokes and the command output becomes …

Move to Nav seat

Press 2 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Turn on radio power and Tx Master sw to STBY

Press Left Ctrl+V keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Press Left Alt+V keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Press Left Shift+M keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Set  Arial DF mode and Rx Master sw VISUAL

Press Left Shift+D keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Press Left Shift+V keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Return to pilot seat

Press 1 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Say, 'Radios set for D F. Tuning still required'

I am still trying to find  a way of not having to manually tune to a frequency but telling Nigel to set it.

However, this VA command saves considerable time, so I have a better chance of getting the radio tuned before the aircraft crashes.  :sad_2:

Edited by Terry Dactil
Formatting

21 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

Hi,

I was trying to make a mission that had a sort of automated/AI Navigator, my idea was that at some point at the start the Navigator would set up the Direction finding radio.

The problem is that when you are occupying the pilot seat, some switches/controls are not available to you, eg the power switches for the Navigation radio, and the navigation radio itself. 

This also carries over when you try to script these actions in the mission editor, the actions are not completing because I am in the pilot seat.

I would like to see at least the scripted actions being able to complete without changing seats, possible?

Thanks 

The inability to operate some switches from the pilot seat is a completely unnecessary “feature” - it contributes nothing to immersion when you fly solo. 

I understand that some locations in the cockpit are in reality beyond the pilot’s reach. However, jumping into the observer’s seat to manipulate them, is that really any more realistic?

Allow us to manipulate everything from the pilot seat, especially via key bindings. When I mouse-click stuff in the cockpit I jump into the observer’s seat anyway because the pilot does not have a clean line of sight to most of them.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

• 5 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, Bozon said:

I understand that some locations in the cockpit are in reality beyond the pilot’s reach. However, jumping into the observer’s seat to manipulate them, is that really any more realistic?

Good point, we can't ask the navigator to do stuff, so I don't see the issue with being able to do it yourself.

• 2 months later...

@SUNTSAG

Hi Suntsag,

I recently watched a Youtube video by Tactical Pascal where he was flying one of your missions, The Shipping Fjordcast.

I was wondering if you would be so kind as to reveal how you got round the limitation which is the topic of this post, so that the "Navigator" would be able to set up the DF radio while you the player occupy the pilots seat.

I'm able to set up the triggers to can get the navigator to do all the required steps, just only from the navigator's seat. The switches etc won't respond from the pilot's seat.

Thanks
Jon

• 1 year later...
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

This post is quite old but I thought I would share the solution.

The action required is

"Start playing actor" and the value should be 2,

this sets DCS into the navigator seat, although you will still be in the pilot seat. This is only required for switches not accessible from the pilot seat.

Be sure to add "stop playing actor" at the end of the actions.

While the "actor" is doing their thing, pilot only switches will be locked out, so best not make the actor do stuff for too long.

Edited by jonsky7