List of paid aircraft modules that support visible Pilot Body for VR users

TORC

I have created a list of DCS aircraft modules that have the Virtual Pilot (visible pilot body) in the cockpit. The reason I think this is an important feature is the additional immersion in VR of having your body there. The good news is that the majority of paid modules support the virtual pilot, including all but one of the helicopters!

Regarding the integrated kneeboard functionality, I have tried to indicate how usable the integrated kneeboard is with VR headsets. I have a first generation windows mixed reality headset, and use OpenXR with 1.1 PD set in DCS World. I have indicated whether the integrated kneeboard is usable with my equipment, for me - your mileage may vary!

I hope this document will assist VR users who value the virtual pilot in determining which modules are worth their hard earned cash.

Link to document

As of 6 January 2024 the document is complete and details all available paid modules. Special thanks to longuich for helping me out with the helicopters, and Derek Speare for helping out with the Christen Eagle II.

Edited by TORC
Update to linked document, description, 2.9.2 update, the last two updates removed the kneeboard from the Hornet!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

Hi Longuich, thanks for offering to help!

Testing for virtual pilot body

I go to the "Adjust controls" section, searching for the "Show pilot body", "Show body" or whatever seems the most like this. I then bind this to a key and, going back to the cockpit, I press the key to see what happens. There are a few possibilities:

1. There isn't a keybind for that option. A couple of third party modules are like this.
  2. There is a keybind but it doesn't seem to do anything
  3. The keybind turns the virtual pilot body on or off
  4. In some helicopters, the keybind cycles through options of having your pilot body, the copilot body or both bodies shown

Virtual pilot kneeboard

If you get a pilot body to be shown in the cockpit, look down at "your" legs. There is usually a kneeboard or some sort of clear pouch in the pants. In the free TF-51D, when you use the "next kneeboard page" and "previous kneeboard page" options (in the "Kneeboard" section in the change key bindings menu), the page on the kneeboard changes (and if you bring up the kneeboard using the "Kneeboard On/Off" command you'll see it's showing the same page). If the module you're looking at has this same functionality, let me know - it gets the gold shading.

If you don't mind doing so, please post your results here. If you can, please post the results for the Ka-50 and Huey so I can cross check so that we are seeing the same thing?

• Like 1

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

Hi Longuich, thanks for offering to help!

Testing for virtual pilot body
I go to the "Adjust controls" section, searching for the "Show pilot body", "Show body" or whatever seems the most like this. I then bind this to a key and, going back to the cockpit, I press the key to see what happens. There are a few possibilities:
  1. There isn't a keybind for that option. A couple of third party modules are like this.
  2. There is a keybind but it doesn't seem to do anything
  3. The keybind turns the virtual pilot body on or off
  4. In some helicopters, the keybind cycles through options of having your pilot body, the copilot body or both bodies shown

Virtual pilot kneeboard
If you get a pilot body to be shown in the cockpit, look down at "your" legs. There is usually a kneeboard or some sort of clear pouch in the pants. In the free TF-51D, when you use the "next kneeboard page" and "previous kneeboard page" options (in the "Kneeboard" section in the change key bindings menu), the page on the kneeboard changes (and if you bring up the kneeboard using the "Kneeboard On/Off" command you'll see it's showing the same page). If the module you're looking at has this same functionality, let me know - it gets the gold shading.

If you don't mind doing so, please post your results here. If you can, please post the results for the Ka-50 and Huey so I can cross check so that we are seeing the same thing?

Okay.

rshift-p is the default for showing pilot bodies in all the helos I own and tried.

Rshift-k is the default for the kneeboard toggle. [ and ] are prev and next except for in the ka50 where it’s rshift [ and rshift ]

Body doesn’t shiw in my ka50. Also, the hud is obscured by the cockpit mfd display which is displayed in the centre of the windshield. So, ka50 is worthless in vr with my setup.

In the uh1 and mi8 both have a pilot body on/off toggle. The pilot position in the uh1 is almost face against the glass unless you reposition your pov, which makes you look down into your pilot’s body. (Awkward!).
In both the uh1 and the mi8 the body looks good enough to give proper immersion.

The gazelle .. body toggle switches between pilot, pilot+copilot, copilot, nothing. Body looks basic but same as with uh1 and mi8, good enough.

In the helos the kneeboard is projected over the canopy/windshield.
In the mi8 it’s in the centre right in front of the 3 crew member position.
In both the uh1 and gazelle it’s on the pilot’s right hand side.

All kneeboards work as expected. [] toggles prev next page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Longuich, I'll get the document updated with your findings!

• Like 1

Pilot body is showing in Christen Eagle.  Pilot is in the backseat and copilot is visible as well.  No kneeboard on the virtual pilot, but the big one shows up as expected.  The virtual pilot's head corresponds to VR user's head movement and can be seen in both the mirror in the plane and in the shadows on the ground. 

• Thanks 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Thanks Derek - I'll update it in the document!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the Apache in the document, the module currently in Early Access and it does not have the player body visible for the currently occupied seat, though it does show the occupant of the other seat (similar to how the F-14 Tomcat was prior to getting pilot and RIO bodies in the 2.8 update). As the module progresses (at least when it leaves early access), I'll come back and update the document if/when it changes.

Edited by TORC
Edited comparison to F-14 since that changed with 2.8 update

Added the Hind. This one does not have the player body visible and also does not have the CPG (or Pilot) body visible when viewed from the other seat.

• 3 months later...

Added the Mirage F1. Currently no pilot (it is release day, so definitely early access!). I have also updated the checked date on a couple of modules I have flown recently, but I haven't had to change any of them at this stage.

• 2 months later...

In the process of updating the list now 2.8 Open Beta is released. Notable change is the F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur, which now has the pilot and RIO bodies.

Wow nice, was just searching for this. Good work! Thank you!

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 5950X - watercooled | RTX 3090 FE - watercooled | ASUS ROG PG278QR | 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3800MHz CL16

Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI | Creative Sound Blaster Z| be quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro & Dark Power 12 1000W

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

f369a91f-373c-4a67-b752-106889db8767.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone through and updated almost everything now since the 2.8 update. I don't know anybody with the MB-339 and haven't picked it up myself yet so its still a question (though from what I've seen on YT it doesn't seem to have the virtual pilot yet).

• 7 months later...

Just a quick update to add the Razbam F-15E Strike Eagle. I'm not aware of any other changes since my last update in February.

Both the pilot and WSO in the F-15E have virtual bodies, and you can toggle on or off the virtual body in the seat you are sitting in (though you'll still see the occupant of the other seat). In some of the training missions the backseater is not visible - they aren't in the aircraft (this is an option in the mission editor).

I don't think the movement of the other pilot/WSO is quite as good as Heatblur's F-14 when viewed from the other seat (which is a very high bar - they're still quite good and I'm grateful we have multicrew at all), but the animations when viewed from your own seat are truly excellent and set a new standard for first person virtual pilot modelling in my opinion.

I'm surprised an early access module was released with the virtual pilot at all, much less being one of the best implementations I've seen so far. Good job Razbam!

Edited by TORC
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 6:47 AM, YMadDog said:

Still waiting for my A-10C II VR pilot... it is a shame...

I was going to buy the module, I can't believe it! I don't buy modules without drivers in VR... too bad...

still waiting for the KA50(3) pilot body promised 💩

Edited by Bvv.Fr
  • Like 1

this game is incredible 🤘

• 1 month later...

Plan is to update the document again now 2.9 has dropped, even though it doesn't seem like there are a lot of changes. This will happen over the next couple of weeks.

I still don't have the MB-339 and honestly I don't have the cash to splash out on something like that right now. If anyone has the 339 and can comment on the existence (or not) of a pilot body in the VR cockpit, it'd be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

So update 2.9.0.47168 brings the WIP version of the Hornet pilot. I do note this is WIP and yet to be finalised! But a couple of observations that hurt it for VR users:

1. The kneeboard is gone from the pilot model. And the kneeboard on the new pilot model is nice and large like in the P-51, so this is a double disappointment!
  2. You can see the helmet if you move your head too far to the left or right, which I now know I often do when dogfighting and checking six.

I guess I'll need to make a note about these issues in the Hornet Bugs/Troubleshooting forum. I might try to get a video together to show the problems (show don't tell etc.)

Of course, the model is preliminary and will change, but I wanted to make these notes so you know what you're getting as of now!

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Happy New Year!

I've updated the document for OpenBeta 2.9.2.49940, and all the available modules aside from the Mi-8 (which I don't own, but reportedly has the virtual pilot) are up to date as of this post. The Hornet pilot model is still missing kneeboard functionality (a shame with the beautiful and large new kneeboard on the model!) but they have fixed the problem with the pilot helmet, which is good.

The biggest updates since the last major update is that both the Apache and Hind now have first-person pilot models for both the pilot and gunner seats. Helicopter pilots can be happy every helicopter except the Black Shark has a first-person pilot model!

All in all, the support for VR seems to be coming along well. I'm slightly disappointed that there aren't any warbirds that got a pilot model since November 2022, and I have mixed feelings about the jets - none of the existing jets got first-person pilots in 2023 (the F-14 pilot came in late '22), but on the bright side the F-15E launched with excellent pilot and WSO models, and I think RAZBAM have updated the Harrier pilot model since last I looked at it. And of course the Hornet got a new pilot model, but that took away the kneeboard functionality!

Hopefully things can keep pushing forward, and we all have a great 2024 in the sim! 😎

Edited by TORC
  • Like 1

thanks for this!
Viper and Warthog VR drivers would be nice 🙂

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

There's hope for the Viper - they've allegedly been working on it alongside the Hornet pilot model. But I'm losing hope of the A-10C II getting a virtual pilot.

Maybe in the v3 paid module?!

7 hours ago, TORC said:

There's hope for the Viper - they've allegedly been working on it alongside the Hornet pilot model. But I'm losing hope of the A-10C II getting a virtual pilot.

Maybe in the v3 paid module?!

I can´t think of a reason for not to include it in the current version.
Besides, what other module upgrades could the offer to support a new paid version? I don´t think that´s ED way of doing things.

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this awesome list!

Possible to add the following columns?

For those that don't have a virtual pilot, any indication from the developer that it's possibly in the pipeline (with date of such announcement). For example, the Viper's pilot model has been promised in "future updates" notes on a few occasions, but these have sometimes been removed in subsequent updates. Same for the A-10C II. And for the latter, the last update on this was many years ago so we can get an idea that it's probably not coming. 

For those that do have a virtual pilot, an indication when the pilot model was last added/updated. This will give us an idea of how dated the model will look. For example, the Mustang's pilot body is blocky and angular, vs the F15E's pilot body which IMO is the best-looking to date. In this regard, I could try to track down the more recent ones- the Apache, Hind, M2000 and Harrier for example were added in updates, and I recall seeing these mentioned in the changelog. 

Just some suggestions... this list is already very helpful as it is!

• Thanks 1