F5 radar gunsight solution incorrect

some1

It is not possible to hit a target using the radar sight, even a non evading one. All bullets fly behind the target.

I set up a mission with AI set to a constant, level, 3g turn. I followed the target with a stable tracking solution, zeroed closure rate, textbook conditions, yet despite that all bullets miss.

According to DCS manual (can't find a real one) the A/A2 gunsight mode should be used in this situation, with pipper right on target. Yet this mode provides a hopelessly inadequate lead and all the bullets go far behind.

DG - A/A1 mode is better, but still not enough lead to score a reliable hit. To my understanding, A/A1 mode is a "Realtime" gunsight, and A/A2 mode is "Historic" gunsight. This should not matter, in an "perfect" situation that I tested, both should give an accurate targeting solution. 

Mission track attached.

A/A2:

Screen_210409_213313.jpg

f5.jpg

DG - A/A1:

Screen_210409_213349.jpg

f51.jpg

5.trk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 4 weeks later...
  • NineLine locked this topic
  • 7 months later...

Hi folks. I'm very confused by guns mode in the F-5e. I've watched a few videos and am currently doing the tutorial on the Dogfight Guns mode, which I believe is basically the A1 mode. I'm still none the wiser 😖

In the tutorial it says different things which seem to contradict each other: First it says you don't need to work out lead as the computer does it, so you just need to keep the pipper over the target and fire. Then it says you do need to work out lead and fire ahead of the target. Then later it says you just need to keep the pipper over the target and fire again.

Can anyone clear up how this is supposed to work?  It seems from playing around (i.e. missing a lot when pipper is over target) that you do need to calculate lead somehow, but this seems a bit old fashioned. Even WW2 planes had a computer that showed on the HUD where you should be firing ahead of the target. Therefore maybe I am missing something. I'm therefore confused about what the pipper is meant to be telling me. I haven't got to A2 mode but I'm sure that will confuse me just the same!

• Like 1

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

Oh man, that's a shame. At least I'm not going mad though, thanks for letting me know.  I just started learning this module as I fancied a slightly older plane, but looks like there's no rush to fix it seeing as your post is a year old.  Seems then it is somewhere in between i.e. it calculates some lead by the looks of it, but not enough.

• Like 2

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

• 4 weeks later...

You'll get the hang of it. I know it is incorrect as it is, but I "hand wave" it away by thinking it is a limitation of the system and therefore has error which I need to account for. 😉

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 8 months later...
  • ED Team

posts merged. 

Not fixed yet, I have asked the team. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 6 months later...
  • ED Team

We are currently testing a fix internally and hopefully if it looks good have it in a future update. 

thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2